Dr. Blaine Nease
    Last Activity
    06-09-2014 08:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Days and weeks of diarrhea

I've really, really struggled with my decision to have the surgery. I'm currently 14 days post-op, and not able to eat much at all. My little stomach is not tolerating many foods and its pretty disheartening. I'm not sure I got enough accurate information to make a good decision about having the surgery in the first place. The immense pain and crippling nausea right after surgery, were never discussed in any pre-op teaching. I was blinded by the idea of rapid weight loss.
    I seem to be struggling with daily diarrhea, usually 3-4 times a day. I didn't have any issues with constipation after surgery. Since about post-op day 4, I've had very watery bowel movements.
    Lots of people seem to say they had more issues with constipation. Has anybody had my same problem? Is there a timeframe when it might stop?
    Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
    "We walk by faith, not by sight."

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Frizzylizzy's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Liz
    Surgery date
    10/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Clement Tsang
    Last Activity
    11-02-2013 04:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times

Default Re: Days and weeks of diarrhea

Hi, sorry you are struggling at the moment, I had (and still do have some days) constant diarrhoea for about 4 weeks, I spoke to my nut about it and she said it was probably due to lack of fibre/bulk food and having lots of fluids, I am not getting it as much now I am on soft foods, but still occasionally have issues. Other thing to look at maybe is if you have become lactose intolerant ? I don't know if you get them in America but I have found if I have a wheat bix
    Crushed in some warm milk with a little sugar this clogs things up a bit! (You might know them as vita Brits?) hope things improve for you soon. P.s I had 3 weeks of fluids and then puréed then last week started on soft foods, if you are getting pain with eating maybe go back to fluids puréed for a little while. Hope things improve soon. I too had many thoughts of what have I done but at 5 1/2 weeks out am happy about things now I can eat more of a range of foods.

Gastric Sleeve Member BigDogMom's Avatar
    Name
    Rachel
    Surgery date
    11/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Blaine Nease
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks Lizzy. I've been doing a diet of full liquids/purée as tolerated. I've been very focused on protein and trying to stay away from carbs. No, I don't seem to be lactose intolerant (thankfully). I cannot tolerate eggs though. Maybe gluten is becoming an issue for me. I'll try to stay away from wheat based things, and increase some fiber as much as I can.
    Thanks for the encouraging words! And congratulations on your weight loss!

Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Finley
    Last Activity
    10-31-2019 07:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 300 Times
    Was Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 84 Times
    Blog Entries

Diarrhea is totally normal at the beginning. Everyone seems to have it from the moment they walk out of the hospital (before that, in my case) and for a little while after. THEN comes the constipation. Woohoo! Something to look forward to! LOL
    Seriously, all is well, heal, be good to you, listen to your body and give it all the goodness you can while it learns its new tricks.
    Hugs

7/10: 238lbs,size 3x; 8/11: 221lbs size 22/2x; 6/12 B4 2 day liquid fast: 210 lbs; 6/13/12: 202.6 lbs
    1 month: 185.4 lbs; 2 months: 170 lbs, size 16; 3 months: 162.6 lbs, size 14; 4 months: 151.8 lbs; 5 months: 143.2 lbs, size 10; 6 months: 142.4 lbs stalls suck ; 7 months: 131.2 lbs, size 6 - 8; 9 months 130.2, size 6 - no real loss in 2 months -- Think I am done!

Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

I am sorry you are having problems and the diet isn't going well for you yet. I have always had problems with loose BM so it was not a surprise to me with all the liquids I was having those problems again. If you can tolerate Cream of Wheat the original one and make it with milk you will still be getting some protein and it seems to slow things down and firms things up a little for me. I discussed it with my doctor asking if I could take Imodium, they said some people just take a little longer to adjust and would rather I didn't and just give it time. But if it is really bad you could easily get dehydrated. I think it is about time you did something about it. As your doctor about Imodium and try the cream of wheat too.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member BigDogMom's Avatar
    Name
    Rachel
    Surgery date
    11/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Blaine Nease
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions. I will call my surgeon on Monday, and ask him about Imodium vs increased fiber, or bulk forming foods. I've lost a considerable amount of weight (23lbs in 16 days), and that's a plus. But not at this cost, not to me.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-21-2013 11:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I think most of us have experienced loose stools after the surgery. For me it took about 3 months for things to get back to somewhat normal. As far as, let's see you said, immense pain and crippling nausea - that's something I never experienced - and I think most people have not as well - although some have. Good to see you're almost 30lbs down - it get better!

Name
    Cindy Barrie
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    04-10-2015 04:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 165 Times
    Was Thanked 220 Times in 207 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 403 Times
    Blog Entries

BigDogMom, I am so sorry that you are plagued with both diarrhea and nausea. I had some diarrhea during the first two weeks of my recovery but found that yogurt helped with my loose stools. It is also my go to when I have stomach upsets, my kids love it when I tell them to have some Greek yogurt for their upset stomachs. BUT, do call your doctor and get it checked out!!! When we lose weight too fast it can affect the gall bladder, many folks with stomach acid issues have to have them removed -- get it checked out that could be a source of your problems as well.