Surgeon
    Dr. Karmali
    Last Activity
    01-19-2014 10:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Gastric Sleeve OR Gastri Bypass

How do I know which is best for me. I see my surgeon in two weeks. I have to decide which surgery I want then go on a waiting list for 6 months. I already know how the sleeve is done, watched tons of videos on youtube. My internist was saying tis still considered a new surgery so there arent any reports of like 10 - 20 year reports how clients are doing. As with any surgery weight can be gained back. I want to hear what have been your experiences, good and bad. I will be doing this on my own. Even though I live with my brother Im not counting on him to take care of me after surgery. Can I do this on my own. Any advice is gret dont sugar coat it give it to me.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nita
    Surgery date
    10/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Anderson
    Last Activity
    01-02-2017 03:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gastric Sleeve OR Gastri Bypass

I dont feel you need anyone to take care of you. I was up and walking 4 hours after surgery. I never needed anything for pain and I feel great. Their are some foods I can't tolerate but that's to be expected. I wanted bypass my doctor told me the sleeve was the new bypass. I researched a lot and went to several doctors before I felt comfy with my final choice. My advise is read ,read ,read and then ask , ask ask . I love my sleeve!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Letizia (LOL)
    Surgery date
    09/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Acosta
    Last Activity
    04-18-2013 02:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 188 Times
    Was Thanked 153 Times in 149 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,066 Times
    Blog Entries

If your undecided your surgeon will help. When I heard about the sleeve I was very curious my friend shimi had it done. I wanted Te bypass first bc that's the one I knew about the one my cousin, friends were having. When I went to seminar and I told my mom she was also w the bypass bc of Dr.lara stated that one was best for diabetics and my mom is(only I was having it) Dr. Acosta my surgeon explain to me that no matter which one I had it would help me bc I didn't have it yet. I was looking one day at the hospital or two( I hate hospitals) so I decided for the sleeve. My first option yes I think I'm loosing slow,yes I've had stalls but theres no doubt in my mind that I regret my option w 42lbs lost I feel great healthier, I can run a little my knee doesn't hurt. My blood pressure is down. The decision is up to you, reaserch ask your doc the staff all questions that way you figure it out. Best of luck to you

Gastric Sleeve Member WorkInProgress's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Diego Velarde
    Last Activity
    10-31-2012 07:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times

My surgeon helped me decide. The biggest points for me were that with the sleeve you don't have anything done or "reconnected" with your intestines and they remove that part of your stomach that makes the hormones that stimulates your appetite. Additionally, the less they have to do in there the fewer the potential problems, less scar tissue, etc. Bypass surgery patients have to deal with malabsorption because of the removal of part of the intestines and they do have greater chances of having scar tissue build up and the pouch re-stretching. There is plenty of information out there on long-term success for sleevers. My weight loss has been dramatic and I haven't had one health issue. Mental battles... exercise battles... food battles yes... but those can't be fixed with surgery. Do what is best for your future! But don't put it off because the minute you have it you will wish you'd done it sooner.

Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

The decision of course is yours and you have many factors to consider but your doctor will help with the decision. Being there is no long term data for the sleeve some think it is not the best but that may change with time. There are reasons to go either way. Right now their thinking is if you have a very large amount of weight to lose the bypass is better because not only is it restrictive but also malabsorption causing greater weight loss. But there are advantages to the sleeve also. 1) you will be less likely to have any malnourishment issues. 2) less possibility of complications 3) faster and simpler operation so less time under anesthesia 4) part of stomach is totally removed so less hunger etc. etc.
    I guess one main factor to consider is how much to you need to lose. I need to lose almost 200 lbs and would go with the bypass but I have other issues which make a bypass an unsafe option for me. I will be happy with the sleeve even if I don't lose all 200 lbs.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karmali
    Last Activity
    01-19-2014 10:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

my highest weight was 431 im down to 384. Im definetly doing my research and the main factor is going to be what will be covered through insureance. With anone I choose the hard work must come from me. The surgery is a tool but if I can maintain the healthy lifestyle changes the wait will come back and put me right back in the same spot Im in now. I so lucky and fortunate I dont have any major health issues other than the fact im class 3 morbid obese.

Gastric Sleeve Member donewithdieting's Avatar
    Name
    Linda Lou
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    05-15-2016 05:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 76 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 711 Times

Please don't feel offended. I work as a RN nurse in Case Management, How did you get to over 400#? Why didn't you do something at 200#? This is just baffling me. I'm seeing more and more morbid obese people coming into the Hospital expecting us to help pull and push this weight out of bed and chairs. I went to CM because I herniated 2 disks in my neck doing these manuevers. Please be honest, but don't take offense this is geeting to be very common. I just want to know.?