Surgeon
    C Kennedy
    Last Activity
    06-14-2013 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Saw my new surgeon C. Kennedy and love her! I AM SO READY...I HEARD IT WAS PAINFUL!!!

I saw my new surgeon and I am so ready as I have relayed to her. I asked her if she thought I could have the surgery before Thanksgiving. She said, "OH YEA, NO PROBLEM!!!" After the fight for over a year now...to do all the UHC prerequisites, and then insurance companies changed - due to my husband's employers' choice of change in insurances - and then the tough battle of fighting with the HR VP to let them know simply, this is NOT a Cosmetic issue, this is a life saving choice. MONTHS LATER, Here we are sitting with it as an added Benefit (with Medical necessity) on our plan. That so many others will have the choice to improve their health and live longer (patting myself on the back).... I am PROUD!!!!!!!

The surgeons' office that I was going to use was David Ritter, Rockwall, TX and his nurse or bariatric lady that does all the paperwork and approval work, has lack of etiquette to return peoples' calls. Numerous attempts, starting at 3 months ago (when I was beginning the fight to get this overturned and have the benefit of this surgery added to the policy) she hasn't returned my call then or the many in between then and now. I just figure, they don't need this money obviously.... so onto a more caring office staff, and YES THEY WERE!!!! Colleen Kennedy's office staff, was so helpful and caring. I was late to my appointment cause I thought I had the address right and I had Swift as the Rd. and it was Swiss. So I was in the wrong part of town. I was like 30 mins. late and the nice receptionist stayed on phone and directed me all the way there. Now that is patient service!!!! I was so scared she would say I had to reschedule... but, she said no you just come on. Short wait and I was in seeing Dr. Colleen Kennedy...she was so wonderful. NO HURRY and get you out! She answered all my questions.
    She gave the paperwork to the receptionist and told her to get it over to the lady that does the submitting... and so now the process of waiting to hear.

Oh yea, and my Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea, she says mine is really bad - she won't do the surgery unless I learn to sleep with the CPAP machine. I can't stand the nose mask - it just don't seal right. I am suppose to bring the CPAP machine to the hospital when I have my surgery. She says it will be placed on me after surgery and I will be wearing it when I awake from the surgery. GRRRR!!! Throwing a Tantrum here!

Any suggestions on the CPAP AND THE WAR ON IT?

ALSO, I told her I am a big tit-bag when it comes to pain. I have watched so much youtube videos on different people's experiences with this. One that particularly scars the hell out of me is the one that said everyone told her that it wasn't that bad (pain wise) and she said them SOBS LIED.... hmmmm that concerns me. Give me your insights on pain.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member cycleoldlady's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Susan
    Surgery date
    11/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Tulloh
    Last Activity
    06-23-2017 02:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,460 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Saw my new surgeon C. Kennedy and love her! I AM SO READY...I HEARD IT WAS PAINFUL!!!

I'm expecting a bit of gas pain and pain while the big wound inside heals, but hey, it's only gona be short term and then it will free you from the pain of being trapped where you are, has to be worth it xxx

Gastric Sleeve Member AuburnTigers10's Avatar
    Name
    Paige Smith-Arnold
    Surgery date
    12/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Colleen Kennedy
    Last Activity
    12-13-2018 02:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Saw my new surgeon C. Kennedy and love her! I AM SO READY...I HEARD IT WAS PAINFUL!!!

im glad you have found the one for you. My surgery with dr kennedy is dec 13. And im ready. I also go to the one on swiss. but i do work @ baylor right by her office so its more confident. im glad you had a good experience. hope all your others go so well.
    Paige Smith~ "A Man Travels the World In Search of What He Needs and Returns Home to Find It"

Gastric Sleeve Member sleeveinbama's Avatar
    Name
    vicki
    Surgery date
    08/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Andrew Dewitt
    Last Activity
    08-09-2014 11:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my surgery on Aug 13, 2012! I had no pain at all and only very little gas pain, in which I used Gas X Strips! I had no drain or stitches or staples! I was up walking the hours about 3 hours after surgery! And I still wonderful today! I have so much energy, in fact, I feel like I am 20 years old again!! Now if only I could go back and turn the time clock back to 20 years!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zelada Getty
    Last Activity
    06-21-2013 02:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Your doctor is right. I have had 4 kids naturally and this is so much more pain then having them. It was the worst pain of my life. When you wake up from surgery you will ask yourself what the hell did I just do. But the pain only last a couple weeks. And it is all so well worth it. I have lost 120 pounds in all and am so happy and live life now. I didn't know life could be like this. I feel real lite when I walk and my feet no longer hurt and I have no more health problems. So you will be thankful for this surgery. It truly does improve you quality of life.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Patching
    Last Activity
    01-20-2014 09:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 62 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Learn to love the CPAP. Get a better fitting mask. There are so many styles and types to choose from. I have the one that fits over the nose and mouth. Believe me you'll feel much better when you get into CPAP therapy. You'll sleep better and feel so much better. I no longer have sleep apena thanks to VSG and loosing over 75 lbs. My blood pressure and sugar is also normal now. Do the CPAP, really it takes only a little while to get use to it. You'll learn to love it because you'll feel so much better.

Surgery date
    08/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos kelly
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 189 Times
    Was Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

First welcome aboard!! I had many opsticales like you, I had sleep apnea and wouldn't ware my mask, I hated it! I would wake up in the middle of the night and it would be running laying on the floor. but I had to use it, forced myself for the month before surgery. I also had a very bad experience with the dr that I went to his staff was rude, and didn't do their jobs! so needles to day I didn't have surgery with them< I flew to Mx. I was 60 when I went, it was so scarry just to think about flying, and going to Mx. but I did it! and i was so proud of myself, my surgery was a life or death situation so I chose life! and I am here to tell you that it was the very best decision that I ever could make in my life. I was so worried about the pain, not waking up from surgery and all the stuff I heard, read and saw on utube. My dr told me to stop looking at all that! relax and get ready for a new life. I went into surgery with an open mind, relaxed as much as I could and when I came to, I had some pain, but was given medicine, I slept off and on for 1 day, then when I woke I had some pain in my side, from where the surgery was, but mostly gas is what my pain was, everyone is different, I had no problems at all! I really thought it was going to be worst than what it was! we stayed 3 days in Mx, I went shopping, then flew home 6 hrs in a plane, to atlanta, then stayed over night and drove 2 hrs home, and rested, I never took any pain meds after I left the hospital. NONE! so get your mind set on doing this for YOU! stop watching utube videos and thing positive thoughts!! I promise you that your life will change for the better, and then no more machine at night!! YEAH!!!! If there was one thing that I would have changed? it would have been to do it 10 yrs sooner! I do everything now that I couldn't in the past 10 yrs. my health has improved dramatically!!! I love it!!! good luck to you and remember that we all worry about the what ifs, and the unknown, but if you look at all the statistics on this surgery, you will see there are very few risks or problems. if you to ask any thing feel free to message me!! good luck to you!

Gastric Sleeve Member WorkInProgress's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Diego Velarde
    Last Activity
    10-31-2012 07:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times

I am ten months out and I can tell you that the pain is a very distant memory and very worth going through to have the surgery. The results are life altering and you will have your own roller coaster ride like I have had and everyone else. If you are ready than go into this knowing that you are getting a new birthday! You will forever be a new person with a new purpose and direction for the healthier you! Good Luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Beverly
    Surgery date
    10/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    10-29-2013 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

The only pain I had was in my neck and shoulders from the gas they use todo the laproscopy. I wasn't prepared for that but the pain pump after surgery and pain pills after discharge took care of the pain. I had almost no pain in my abdomen, just expected surgical soreness. I was up walking only a few hours after surgery. I ate my clear liquid soup protein, juice and jello without any problems and was discharged on the second morning after surgery! The only problem I had was finding a protein i could tolerate after my taste buds changed on the 4th day. Thank God for homemade chicken broth, unflavored protein and EAS Advantedge protein drink. I am 16 days out of surgery, lost 27 lbs, and can start soft/Pureed foods in 5 days! Hang in there it is soooo worth it! Best Wishes on your Journey.