Surgeon
    Dr. Patel
    Last Activity
    02-03-2014 12:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default For those of you that were already sleeved...

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had "buyers remorse" do any of you regret your decision? I'm scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks.. It's all really starting to sink in. What is/was the hardest part of post op for you? I would live anything and please do not hold back!!! Thank you!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member sleeveinbama's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    vicki
    Surgery date
    08/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Andrew Dewitt
    Last Activity
    08-09-2014 11:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: For those of you that were already sleeved...

There is not one thing I would change about having the sleeve! I have had mine for 9 weeks and truly the best thing in my life! It is a dream come true! Not pain, no nothing, but pounds and inches being lost!! If I had to do it again, I would! I just wished I was able to have had it done years ago!!

Gastric Sleeve Member lookitsabird's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Jinnie Bruce,MD
    Last Activity
    01-22-2015 12:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 60 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for the endorsement.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Brad
    Surgery date
    07/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ajay Goyal
    Last Activity
    09-08-2017 08:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Jmb0987 View Post
    Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had "buyers remorse" do any of you regret your decision? I'm scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks.. It's all really starting to sink in. What is/was the hardest part of post op for you? I would live anything and please do not hold back!!! Thank you!
    Hardest part is the adjustment to drinking and eating apart! You will have ups and downs during the first few weeks. You will feel tired and weak and have some issues adapting to the new game plan. Some people get depressed but over all if you stay active you will balance out on emotion. Best of luck!

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I havent had any moments of buyers remorse. Like you describe it was mostly beforehand I kept realising how big the changes were going to be. I had relatively little post-op discomfort, but anyway you just keep in mind that it's transient and then it's bearable and no reason for remorse. I'm getting a bit bored now a month in of not being able to eat a wider variety of food yet, but that's temporary as well so just something to put up with like when i've had to study or something else difficult for a short while. My weight loss isn't hugely fast but I'm feeling happy and healthy and know it's all in the right direction. I'm so fricken relieved not to be a slave to swinging between overeating or having to constantly control the urge to eat, it's exactly what I expected and wanted to happen. Good luck to you!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

No buyers remorse for me. The hardest part for me is learning to eat slowly...15 day post opt and I have failed hardcore at that one. My 2nd would be that my should discomfort came back 2 days ago...you will see what I mean after surgery...it sucks, but I just take some gas-x and go about my day. Well worth the adjustments in my life to be healthier...and the shoulder pain is only temporary.

Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 197 Times
    Was Thanked 346 Times in 318 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times
    Blog Entries

I will not kid you, the first week after surgery can be rough! Learning how to take teeny tiny sips the first few days sucked. I'm not big on pain drugs, so I switched to tylenol after I got home. I had to cut them in half and try to swallow with those tiny sips. I also had the gas trapped up in my neck for about 5 days and that was awful! Hurt to even move my head. BUT!!!!! About 5 days later it seemed like it all just went away. The drinking got easier, my head and neck pain went away, and everything since then has been smooth sailing! It was ALL worth it!!

I will tell you now, YOU WILL STALL ANY WHERE FROM WEEK 2 TO 4!!!! IT CAN LAST 2-3 WEEKS!!! DON'T FREAK OUT!!! It is perfectly NORMAL!! Almost everybody goes through this! You may not see that scale budge and you WILL think, "Why did I just go through this just to lose X amount of pounds!!" This is the time when your body says "OH HOLY HECK!! What did you just do to me!!" You body is still in the healing process without the normal fuel (food) to facilitate the normal healing process. So it may take on additional water, you may feel very lethargic, your emotions may be all over the place because we morn the loss of food. It's all NORMAL! OK, now that you are worried, let me tell you the UP side!! You will start to lose INCHES!! I was 2 weeks out, hit a stall for 2 weeks, only lost 10# that first month, but I went from an 18 to a loose 16!! These stalls are when your body has to catch up to the pounds lost. It will redistribute things around, trying to find the next quickest access for easy energy. Then out of the blue, the pounds will start dropping again.

There are 3 very important things to know!
    1.) Take your picture before surgery and take your measurements!! These will be your motivators for when the scales don't move! Many people can't see the changes on themselves until they can compare pics or see it in their measurements!!
    2.) Try to weigh yourself just once a week if you are someone that gets discouraged easily. You may not see that scale drop every day. It may stay the same for 5 days and then on the 6th drop 2-3#.
    3.) DON'T EVER COMPARE YOUR WEIGHT LOSS TO SOMEONE ELSE!!! Your body is so very unique that it will lose the weight on its schedule! Just because someone my be your weight, does not means they are the same height as you. They may have more muscle mass, their metabolism may be different, they may eat differently, ect... Everyone is so different, that if you try to compare yourself, it could just lead to disappointment. The weight will come off! Maybe not as fast as we would like, but it will come off, if you follow the guide lines.

This is a life long journey, so just sit back and enjoy the ride!
    ~~Peggy~~
    Highest weight: 249
    Weight at pre-op: 224
    Weight at surgery: 216

10. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Syn
    Last Activity
    08-23-2013 10:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 104 Times in 100 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times
    Blog Entries

The only draw back or side effect I have experienced is my hair shedding a bit more than usual. But that goes away and regrowth occurs, so it is not permanent. I have not really mourned food as I am able to eat about anything unless it is something that would trigger me...such as the coconut creme pie my husband was eating last week. I got a little sad over that...but that rarely happens.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I had no buyers remorse either, but I was in a pretty bad place pre-op, over 50 BMI. I felt like a stuffed sausage and felt so miserable before the surgery it would have taken a lot worse recovery then I had to make me regret anything.

The single hardest thing for me has been the sometimes mild, sometimes more intense feeling of emptiness. I don't mean hunger, I mean that emotional emptiness or perhaps loneliness that I couldn't feel very clearly when I was stuffing it with food. I probably lost 50# before anybody even noticed my weight loss and to this day my hubby has never given me a word of encouragement or compliment on my progress or looks. So, I spent quite a bit of time going through the recovery and adjusting and though I was losing weight nobody noticed so I wasn't getting any "atta girl" type feedback and I didn't have good to comfort me. That feeling still occasionally rears its head, but it was mostly an issue the first 2-3 months.

As time went on, that feeling has become much less of an issue because I have lost so much weight, feel so good and am able to do so many fun things... being active, enjoying fun times with friends and family has really helped me feel great.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I had no buyers remorse either, but I was in a pretty bad place pre-op, over 50 BMI. I felt like a stuffed sausage and felt so miserable before the surgery it would have taken a lot worse recovery then I had to make me regret anything.

The single hardest thing for me has been the sometimes mild, sometimes more intense feeling of emptiness. I don't mean hunger, I mean that emotional emptiness or perhaps loneliness that I couldn't feel very clearly when I was stuffing it with food. I probably lost 50# before anybody even noticed my weight loss and to this day my hubby has never given me a word of encouragement or compliment on my progress or looks. So, I spent quite a bit of time going through the recovery and adjusting and though I was losing weight nobody noticed so I wasn't getting any "atta girl" type feedback and I didn't have good to comfort me. That feeling still occasionally rears its head, but it was mostly an issue the first 2-3 months.

As time went on, that feeling has become much less of an issue because I have lost so much weight, feel so good and am able to do so many fun things... being active, enjoying fun times with friends and family has really helped me feel great.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Surgery date
    06/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Landerholm
    Last Activity
    03-25-2018 06:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

This is the best thing that I have EVER done for myself! I also miss drinking and eating at the same time, and also chugging liquids, but what a small price to pay for what this has given me. Cowgirljane and I it appears had the same wonderful surgeon, and i can tell you, our whole team was AWESOME! They still are! The entire journey thus far has been amazing. I got nervous before my surgery as well, but I can tell you, I would do it over again in a heart beat! Hope this helps! Give yourself this gift

Surgery date
    12/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vernon
    Last Activity
    08-09-2023 10:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 92 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 102 Times

Good question! I would also love to hear from some long term vets (more than a year or 2 out) on this topic too. Do all of these good vibes that people are posting about stick?

Check out my blog! http://thebariblogger.wordpress.com/

Height: 5'6"
    Highest Weight 6/12: 257 lbs
    Weight at start of pre-op diet 12/6/12: 241 lbs
    Surgery Weight 12/19/12: 228 lbs
    ONEderland! 2/12/13: 199lbs
    25 more to go! 5/21/13: 175lbs

Surgery date
    08/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Ozanan R. Meireles, MD
    Last Activity
    08-10-2013 10:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

I had the worst recovery....I mean I had a lot of complications. However, I have to say that I wouldn't change it. I love my sleeve and my smaller tummy (along with my smaller size). I went from a size 24 to a size 14 in 3 months.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-21-2012 05:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I am having the gastric sleeve surgery on November 14th and I am very excited after being encouraged by many of my friends who have had it already. I am nervous about how do you feel after the surgery? I have questions like: Can you get up and go to the bathroom on your own afterwards? how sore are you? does it hurt to sit up or sit down? Do you get really bad gas pains? if, so how long do they last and are they tolerable? How do they knock you out before surgery? about how long is the surgery? I guess thats it for now I'm not really nervous but I like to know how i will feel physically before anything

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

That is just awesome, congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by evaleri View Post
    I had the worst recovery....I mean I had a lot of complications. However, I have to say that I wouldn't change it. I love my sleeve and my smaller tummy (along with my smaller size). I went from a size 24 to a size 14 in 3 months.