Surgeon
    Dr. Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    10-29-2013 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Taste change

I had my 1st OMG what have I done to myself! Everything was going just fine. I left the hospital on day2, drank my Nectar Protein, broth, jello w/o any difficulty. Then I woke pup on the 4 day and EVERYTHING tasted Vile! I tried 2 of my favorite Nectars, Propel water and plain water. After 2 bites I had to throw it down the sink. I panicked, how am I going to go thru 2 weeks of clear and 2 weeks of full liquids! I decided to drink a Protein shot called ICE Protein w/32g in 4 oz. It taste absolutely horrible but it tasted that way before my taste betrayed me. I just held my breath and sucked it down in 3 gulps. I was nauseated all day but was able to get several jello cups and Popsicles down as well as 16 oz of water. About 2:00 I decided to drink one more of the dreaded Ice Protein. I felt like it was all going to come back up and I had an urgent potty call where I dumped at least a gallon of foul smelling liquid, became cold, clammy and felt like I was going to faint. Eventually got back to bed and round 2 hits me. Not quite as hard as 1st episode. Bedtime round 3. I weighed myself and had lost 10 lbs in one day! I know all of my electrolytes went down the toilet. This morning I feel like I have a lump in my chest and don 't know what to try to drink. Please offer some suggestions!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Butsch
    Last Activity
    04-15-2017 09:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 53 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 161 Times

Default Re: Taste change

WEll the foul taste in your mouth is because you're in ketosis, your body thinks its starving. It will go away in a few weeks. Until then, please don't gulp anything! You will make thins worse. Perhaps you can try this...use a medicine cup to SIP from....one every 15 minutes throughout the day. Set an alarm if you need to to remind you and keep a log. I did an hour of broth, an hour of protein, an hour of jello, and so on...As for protein, try mixing your drink with almond milk and make it the night before so its well mixed. You will have liquid stools too because that is all your taking in. Don't forget that you had major surgery and your inside are very swollen. Just take it easy and take things slow. If you still can't keep anything down, call your doctor. The first couple weeks are the hardest but were here for you.

Gastric Sleeve Member RussianBlue_x2's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-15-2013 03:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,433 Times

Default Re: Taste change

It has only been 5 days since your surgery - it is too early to worry about protein yet. Right now you must focus on getting enough liquids. Find things you can tolerate and sip, sip, sip all day long. Various things work for different people, so try warm drinks, room temperature and cool drinks to find what works. Then drink! Keep the bottle in your hand or right by your hand all day. If something makes you nauseous, do not consume it. I'm not sure why you are forcing yourself to drink protein drinks that are making you sick. Definitely no gulping, that will really mess you up as well. Stick to small sips. Your stomach is still swollen and tender, so forcing yourself to consume things that don't sit well is not a good plan. Just keep drinking liquids, and soon you will be able to tolerate other things.
    Highest weight = 250, March 2011
    Surgery weight = 223, Oct 31, 2011
    1st goal weight (148) reached July 24, 2012
    2nd goal weight (140) reached Oct 27, 2012... 1 year post-op

Before & After Picture (at 11 Months Post-Op, 80 lbs gone!)