04/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. William Norwood
    Last Activity
    03-30-2013 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times

Default Dating after surgery.....Still so many insecurities. Is this happening to ya'll?

I'm newly single and my sister wants me to meet this guy. I'm having doubts though because I have been treated so badly by guys and I'm still feel like I'm going to get rejected for being the fat chick. I have lost 90lbs in 6 months. I feel great but still have so many insecurities. She sent me a picture(he's hot) and she has showed him a head shot of me and told him about me. I worried about a couple of things...1. He's 20 and I'm a mature 23yr old, I have never dated someone that is younger than I am due to younger guys never accepted my weight. 2. I'm worried that he wants to just meet me as almost a favor to my older sister and I don't want to get my hopes up. A part of me is saying go for it but the other insecure part is saying he is going to be out of my league so why even bother.

Any of you have this problem and any advice??

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    06/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fedorka
    Last Activity
    06-29-2017 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 114 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dating after surgery.....Still so many insecurities. Is this happening to ya'll?

I'm married, so I may not be the best person to dole out dating advice, but I can certainly understand and relate to insecurities and personal worries.

Do you WANT to start dating again? If so, my suggestion is go for it. If your expectations are low, you can't be let down. Go into it thinking you're just going to hang out with a friend for a night out. If it's better than that, great, if not, then you just hung out - no pressure! If you're not ready to start dating again, then it's okay to say no, of course.

Be proud of yourself and how far you've come!
    My Blog documenting my journey!
    Shedding the Past:
    http://sheddingthepast.blogspot.com

Youtube Channel-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SheddingThePast

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 363
    Began Journey with Insurance: 357
    Pre-Op: 340
    Day of Surgery: 336

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dating after surgery.....Still so many insecurities. Is this happening to ya'll?

Well now I haven't dated for about 12 yrs and I was 41 then but I do remember being younger
    Couple of thoughts.
    1. Some 20 yr old guys can be very mature...old souls as it were.
    2. You don't have to marry the guy, just go have fun on a date!
    3. See above...

Oh, just reread your post - it didn't even occur to me he'd be out of your league...only that you'd be out of his and be bored. Be a queen, honey and make them treat you like one!
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member cycleoldlady's Avatar
    Name
    Susan
    Surgery date
    11/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Tulloh
    Last Activity
    06-23-2017 02:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,460 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey, go for it and have some fun. People aren't in leagues, media and insecurities lead up to believe that. We are all wonderful, go out and show this guy, and more importantly yourself, just how wonderful you are, enjoy. xxx

Gastric Sleeve Member BigGeorge's Avatar
    Name
    George T
    Surgery date
    10/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Liza Pompa
    Last Activity
    08-15-2013 12:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I am back to dating and I'll suggest something completely different...
    Even if you are mature, you are super young at 23. What's the rush? I think we need to love ourselves and the new us before opening up to getting hurt. We need to learn new ways of dealing with rejection, frustrations and anger that isn't food or other addictive/destructive behaviors. It's probably going to take us dating lots of people before we find the right match for us. That probably mean going lots of people, trail and error and making mistakes, getting our egos and hearts bruised. For me, it also means see my psychologist regularly to help me sort through the emotions that go with these issues.

Who you are today is going to be different after you have lost the rest of your goal weight. In my opinion you don't sound ready for the consequences of this not working out. I am not 'dating' but going out with friends and doing fun activities like learning to dance. Meetup.com has lots of fantastic groups that people meet to do fun things.

Good luck!!
    Life is short: break the 'rules', forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile.

“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Trustin Sleever's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/01/2012
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

This is why I have always been opposed to set-ups and blind dates. I think arrangements like this catch BOTH parties off guard.
    What works in your favor here is that you are the woman. And 23. The date only happens if you want it.
    If you do, have fun, and don't EVER think about where it's going or whether HE wants to see you again. It's just a date.
    Day of surgery: 248 lbs

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I feel as though blind dates are not a great way to start if you're not feeling confident. If the first contact you have with someone is a date, there's a sense in which you're both assessing each other, and you gotta be ok with the possibility that he is not attracted to you (either physically or personality-wise). There's nothing wrong with someone not finding us attractive, but it can be hard to take when we're feeling vulnerable.

If you're not feeling strong enough for that possibility (and there have certainly been points in my life where that's been true for me) then I'd suggest more that you meet people (men and women) through mutual activities and friends, and see if romance grows from an acquaintance or friendship in a more natural and low pressure environment.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Ron
    Surgery date
    07/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Tariq
    Last Activity
    06-03-2016 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

I'd say go and have fun if you want to. Nothing wrong with that. But on the other hand, I know where you're coming from. I've been starting to try getting out. Working on meeting people and moving on with my life. At the same time, my sister-in-law has been trying to set me up with someone she knows, and for some reason, it just doesn't feel right. For now though, getting back and just opening up and talking with someone new I've met has made me feel better, even though I know it's not a situation with her to move past friends. I guess for me, it's just getting to feeling better about myself for now.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

If it were me, I would consider holding off on the whole dating thing. Losing 90 pounds in 6 months is a real head trip - at least I think so = and can leave people vulnerable.

There was someone I met who had WLS many years ago, had never really dated before losing weight and just as she was close to goal started seeing someone. She wasn't experienced with dating so quickly got sucked into a relationship that put her weightloss on hold - and she eventually wound up regaining. The relationship didn't last - and the weight came back. I always remember that story - we need to be sure to keep ourselves and our health as a top priority and not be confused by other drama in our lives.

so, if you feel like you can date and not let it mess with your head - cool, have fun.
    If it were me, I would want more time.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Name
    Sandie
    Surgery date
    12/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mir B. Ali, M.D.
    Last Activity
    06-24-2014 01:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

just think of it as practice go have fun!

Gastric Sleeve Member coloredgem23's Avatar
    Name
    Ginger
    Surgery date
    12/31/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pilcher
    Last Activity
    06-19-2013 06:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times

I am not trying to offend anyone at all, but I am a bit of an ageist in regards to younger men like that. Most guys in that age group just dont seem to be looking for the same thing that women in that age group are. nuff said there.

Now, you being insecure.....well missy I gotta tell ya...you are a very pretty girl. Not all guys need to have the stick thin women, so If you arent where you would like to be, he could just think you are perfect. If he is going on this date as a favor, that would hurt my feelings too, so go into with the expectation only that you are meeting a new friend.

And that whole idea of "he is out of your leauge"....it a realistic notion that we all have to face but dont let it scare you away from a potentially great thing. A super hot guy may have just as many insecurities as us heavier women. The bueaty in your face and heart can easily surpass the bueaty of a womans body that never had weight issues.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lomenzo
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsfan4life View Post
    I'm newly single and my sister wants me to meet this guy. I'm having doubts though because I have been treated so badly by guys and I'm still feel like I'm going to get rejected for being the fat chick. I have lost 90lbs in 6 months. I feel great but still have so many insecurities. She sent me a picture(he's hot) and she has showed him a head shot of me and told him about me. I worried about a couple of things...1. He's 20 and I'm a mature 23yr old, I have never dated someone that is younger than I am due to younger guys never accepted my weight. 2. I'm worried that he wants to just meet me as almost a favor to my older sister and I don't want to get my hopes up. A part of me is saying go for it but the other insecure part is saying he is going to be out of my league so why even bother.

Any of you have this problem and any advice??
    Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're ready for this to me just based on what you've said in this post alone. How "newly single" are you? For me personally, I needed quite a bit of time in between relationships before playing the field again.

At 20 years old, the majority of guys DO tend to be pretty immature still. 19 and 20 aren't exactly far apart. I think if you want to just go out and have a good time and try not to worry about whether or not this will turn into a relationship, it will probably be a good social experiment for you. You're not obligated to fall into a steady relationship with this guy immediately, after all. If you feel you're at least ready to meet him, then once you've met and hung out you can assess whether or not he would be a good choice for you, and since you're still working on YOU whether or not he'd be the kind of person you want to open up about your surgery to.

As for insecurities after surgery... I'm definitely still working on the head stuff. I will probably be working on that for a good long while. It just takes time to be comfortable in our own skins, and having major weight loss doesn't always mean we immediately see the new girl in the mirror.
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

Pre-Op Diet: Didn't lose any weight!
    Morning of surgery: 2 2 0

Name
    Cheri
    Surgery date
    07/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Almanzo
    Last Activity
    10-15-2013 07:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times

man I know what u mean about "the head stuff" what we all do to ourself. I thought about getting out and meeting someone again, recently, however I realised Im not ready. I am losing weight and I still dont see it!!! My friends all say Ilook good theycan see it, but I cant. That tells me my body image of myself sucks and until I can be happy of who I am dating is out

Gastric Sleeve Member kierasaurus's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times
    Blog Entries

I'd say go for it, but dont' get your expectations up!

Not all guys that age are immature, my guy is the same age as me 21 (also in great shape AND very hot) and he understands what I'm going through and is supportive.

You never know unless you try Not every guy out there is an asshole, and not every guy wants a "skinny" girl. Maybe he will surprise you and be supportive and be interested!

Gastric Sleeve Member Desert Angel's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Francis Teng
    Last Activity
    08-29-2013 11:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I say go for it, you never know......don't judge someone before you know them, we should all know that from our experiences with our weight!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast