Surgeon
    Dr. Umbach
    Last Activity
    07-30-2014 08:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Newby considering sleeve

Hi everyone. I am considering the sleeve procedure. I have my consultation with the surgeon in 2 weeks. I'd like to know how the post op period goes for the most part. I have read the diets that must be followed. I know I can do it, my question is, can you eventually eat normal food, but in small quantities or do you have restrict certain foods forever, ie: diet soda. Thanks for any advice you can provide. I am 5'3" and weigh 196. Also have hypertension and high cholesterol.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Hopefloatsup's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Judy
    Surgery date
    09/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanzo
    Last Activity
    04-25-2013 10:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 111 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newby considering sleeve

Welcome to the forum. You will be able to eat what you want, in much smaller amounts. But you have to keep in mind that this is a tool for weight loss. You can restretch your stomach if you are not careful. Also you need to make smart choices to get the weight off and keep it off. But eventually you will be able to treat yourself on special occasions. That is my plan to treat myself on special occ. I have done a lot of soul searching before my journey. I did a lot of binge eating and usually not on good food choices. Food has been my comfort through some very bad times in my life. I am only 12 days post op and I don't regret my decision for a single second. I know I will have to continue to examine my choices and how to deal with the bad times and not use food. Good luck with your decision....Hugs Judy

Name
    Shelli
    Surgery date
    01/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Veninga
    Last Activity
    09-11-2016 02:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 75 Times
    Was Thanked 148 Times in 126 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 998 Times

There is a life after the sleeve, you will be able to eat pretty much anything you want (your tummy may have issues at first). Eventually you will be able to tolerate anything. What makes this tool so great is that you will find that You don't want the old things.

I am 8 months out, and have no cravings for my Sonic cherry coke, or sweets at all for that matter. I do on occasion partake of a cookie or a couple of bites of cake. Prior to surgery, there were no limits, after surgery a couple of oreos and I am good for a few weeks. Candy doens't hold the same appeal that it once did, your body will dictate what you crave and it is a very interesting ride.

Would I do it over again, hell to the YES! I am having the time of my life shopping and doing things that I have never done before. Being single, the attention from men is such an ego boost, and the confidence that I thought I had has increased 10 fold.

It is a change, so make sure you are ready for it, but in the end it is worth every penny, ounce of pain and struggle that you go through.

Best wishes with your decision and your journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member bookwrmmom's Avatar
    Name
    Chrissy
    Surgery date
    06/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Enochs
    Last Activity
    01-20-2015 08:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 121 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 432 Times
    Blog Entries

Different surgeons have different rules, and with mine there are 2 things that I should NEVER have again. Those are carbonated drinks and chewing gum. Honestly I do not miss either & I am 3 months post-op. I dearly loved Diet Dr. Pepper, but didn't drink a lot of them anyways. Carbonated beverages are not good for your tiny tummy because it can cause stretching. Gum can be very hazardous to you if ever accidentally swallowed. Other than that I can now eat pretty much whatever I want, but I go the low-carb route. I dearly love bread and pasta, but I will avoid them except for occasionally. There are real rules to follow though and for me the most difficult has been not drinking while eating & waiting until 30 minutes after meals. I follow the rules, but it is not always easy. For me though it is such a small price to pay and I am completely happy with my decision!!

Gastric Sleeve Member SECRETSLEEVE's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hector Perez
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 99 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 193 Times
    Blog Entries

good luck let us know how your consult goes.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rhonda
    Last Activity
    10-04-2012 04:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Hi, I wish you the best of luck. I have my consultation on 10-4 and have made up my mind to go with the sleeve. I have always used food for comfort which includes alot of binge eating. Food has been my friend through the good and bad but I am done with this approach. Life is to short to feel this tired all the time. I too have high cholesterol, no hypertension, but I am pre-diabetic and have asthma. I am so ready to start my new life.

Name
    ELZA
    Surgery date
    09/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-21-2015 07:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

Forget about the food. That I can deal with. What about the cocktails?!?

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    10/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Umbach
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks you guys. I really appreciate all the info. I'm pretty sure I'm going for it. I'll keep you all informed. My doctor is Dr. Umbach in Henderson , NV .

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. B. Kim
    Last Activity
    01-12-2013 10:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

Hello,
    Hunger was an constant problem prior to my sleeve surgery 6-6-12. I thought I must have 2 stomachs. I prayed just not to be "hungry and feel full". The sleeve has solved this problem. I will be "hungry" and fix a small plate that looks so good, have 2-3 small bites of 3 items and have a good laugh because I'm satisfied. I can eat a few bites of just about everything. I'm mostly a vegetarian now, chicken and pork just dont settle that well, but beans and cheese do. I was a Capt Morgan and diet cherry coke gal and drank about a pot of caffienated coffee every morning with half n half and splenda. I do not drink capt,soda or coffee anymore. I use EAS carb control protein shakes cheese and beans to keep my daily protein at 60 grams. I 'm glad I like decaf green tea, sugar free popsicles , and sugar free Vitamin water, for fluids and supplements. I take Omeprazole, anti gas, chewable MVI, and Vit B, B12, Ca++ w/ D as directed. I have tried sips and tastes and find that coke is to acid for my taste, ice cream is way too sweet. It's amazing. Avoid carbonated drinks, the bubbles stretch your sleeve, you will need to keep your sleeve small. I have lost weight, kept my hair and nails strong and have alot of energy. Im off Zocor, Glucophage, and Cozaar. I keep a photo of Carnie Wilson on my frig, she had a gastric bypass 10 years ago and just got sleeved in January. I think she must of drank alot of shakes Jamba juice and ate alot of ice cream to stretch her tube so much to gain all that weight back and need a sleeve.

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    10/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Umbach
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks for all the great advise. I guess I'll give up my diet soda, for a thin body. Glad to hear the hunger is gone. I too think I have 2 stomachs. Can't wait to under the knife, I'm tired I'd constantly worrying about what to eat.. Many, many many diets over the years. Weight up and down 1000 times. I will eat baby food the rest of my life if I have to. Thanks

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    10/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Umbach
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Yea . I sure will miss my margaritas if we never can have them again. Maybe some day post op.