Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Smokers and the sleeve...

Ok, so I have been smoking for about 5 years now, and the doctor told me that I have to quit 14 days prior to surgery...which that's cool, I have been needing to quit for a while now. I am 26, no major medical problems to speak of, and have always done well in the surgeries I have undergone, but I have never had a surgery like this one...mine were more like LIS surgery, wisdom teeth removal...ya know minor stuff. Anyway, I am getting a little nervous seeing as how my surgery is just around the corner...probably due to nicotine withdrawals, and not eating real food. Anyway, so I need someone to help calm my nerves, I know that they said two weeks without smoking and I am good for surgery, but is there anyone out there who quit smoking before surgery, preferably two weeks like me, (but anyone can share), that can tell me how their recovery went? I know its just nerves...but always nice to hear from those who have gone through it.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Chock
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 07:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 62 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Smokers and the sleeve...

I started using the e-cigarette about 3 months before my surgery, got the lowest dose niccotene cartridge, when I saw my surgeon in august she told me I had to quit all the way , it would help in recovery. ect ect ect.... I quit at that point cold turkey and it was super easy didnt look back .... my surgery was ten days ago , and I had absolutely no problems was in pain for 2days but the pain pills were awesome and I was up and about 30 after I awoke from surgery and had no issues with walking , healing ect..... I was off pain meds and back to my regular routine by the 3rd day..... I feel great !! and I am smoke free!!! I think I was so into gettign the surgery done and doing the pre op diet I had no time for worring about smoking .....
    good luck to you

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I am hoping that will be my case as well...too busy for the cigs. I am glad to hear that all is well with you, thanks for your reply

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Sharon
    Surgery date
    08/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr James Chau
    Last Activity
    09-26-2014 04:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi there,

I am a smoker, I didnt quit but I cut down b4 hand. My recovery was fine, my oxygen levels where great and I have smoked since i was 10 years old. ( i know bad right!). so thats 25 years. I hope u can kick the habit and have a speedy recovery!! -xx-

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the info!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member selfmedicated's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    07/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Andrew Russell
    Last Activity
    08-12-2013 05:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

I quit a month before my surgery as the Dr requested. I felt so much better in myself and the recovery. I have only just started having a few cigs When and if I have a wine. Personally I feel it's better for recovery to stop before surgery.

" Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life "

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-24-2012 11:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 92 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times

Quote Originally Posted by zmdh39 View Post
    Ok, so I have been smoking for about 5 years now, and the doctor told me that I have to quit 14 days prior to surgery...which that's cool, I have been needing to quit for a while now. I am 26, no major medical problems to speak of, and have always done well in the surgeries I have undergone, but I have never had a surgery like this one...mine were more like LIS surgery, wisdom teeth removal...ya know minor stuff. Anyway, I am getting a little nervous seeing as how my surgery is just around the corner...probably due to nicotine withdrawals, and not eating real food. Anyway, so I need someone to help calm my nerves, I know that they said two weeks without smoking and I am good for surgery, but is there anyone out there who quit smoking before surgery, preferably two weeks like me, (but anyone can share), that can tell me how their recovery went? I know its just nerves...but always nice to hear from those who have gone through it.
    Quit and don't ever look back, makes no sense spending all your hard earned $$ getting WLS just to destroy your lungs, heart, etc. Good luck.