Surgeon
    Clay Wellborn, MD
    Last Activity
    02-18-2013 07:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default 275 pounds argh!

Hello! I'm new to this forum and am on a 6 month program through my insurance company to help qualify me for weightloss surgery. I am considering the Gastric Sleeve over Gastric Bypass and do not know which to choose. I have my surgery date scheduled for December 19, 2012. Any and all opinions to help me decide which surgery to have is welcomed. I'm thinking the sleeve is best for me, although I've heard that Gastric Bypass is the best option for success. I hate to feel sick to my stomach and just believe that the sleeve will be a better option in this regard. Anyway, I admire you all for your success! I hope that I can say this about myself in a year or so......Seejo

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member tootsibelle's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sheri
    Surgery date
    07/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-29-2014 10:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 275 pounds argh!

After you do some research, I think you will chose gastric sleeve. It seems to be very effective with few complications, typically. I watched an actual surgery on line. I am getting one in about 6 weeks and am really excited about it. I'm a little scared too, but more happy. Good hunting.

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seejo View Post
    Hello! I'm new to this forum and am on a 6 month program through my insurance company to help qualify me for weightloss surgery. I am considering the Gastric Sleeve over Gastric Bypass and do not know which to choose. I have my surgery date scheduled for December 19, 2012. Any and all opinions to help me decide which surgery to have is welcomed. I'm thinking the sleeve is best for me, although I've heard that Gastric Bypass is the best option for success. I hate to feel sick to my stomach and just believe that the sleeve will be a better option in this regard. Anyway, I admire you all for your success! I hope that I can say this about myself in a year or so......Seejo
    Don't kid yourself - the sleeve you will feel sick to your stomach (or at least I did and still do at times at 2 months and 1 week out) but from all I researched and spoke to people that had the bypass they had a lot of complications. Not so with the sleeve. Is your gall bladder gone? If not then you will end up back in the hospital having that removed more than likely

Good luck

Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seejo View Post
    Don't kid yourself - the sleeve you will feel sick to your stomach (or at least I did and still do at times at 2 months and 1 week out) but from all I researched and spoke to people that had the bypass they had a lot of complications. Not so with the sleeve. Is your gall bladder gone? If not then you will end up back in the hospital having that removed more than likely

Good luck

Name
    Seejo
    Surgery date
    12/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Clay Wellborn, MD
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I had my gall bladder out a little over a year ago. That's how I know about myself and ongoing nausea. I know that there is sickness with both but I'm thinking that the sleeve has less complications so maybe a little less nausea.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

Yep I would never have done the bypass

Gastric Sleeve Member laurencrusham's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Schrivier
    Last Activity
    09-13-2014 07:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I have the sleeve and I have not got sick once (knock on wood) I am only 16 days out but other than feeling like I have no energy I feel fine. I think that the sleeve is a better option unless you have other medical reasons for the bypass like diabetes ect. I know that the sleeve is more popular than the bypass but ultimately it is up to you. Good luck with your journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member Kristin3787's Avatar
    Name
    Kristin B.
    Surgery date
    09/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Matt Cristofferson
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

I talked to my surgeon about what the best option would be, I had originally wanted the band but after a lot of research I decided the sleeve was for me. The surgeon agreed, because I am young and healthy without medical problems, the sleeve would work better. Now if I had diabetes or that kinda thing the bypass, but he said if it was for himself he wouldnt even consider the band.

Name
    Seejo
    Surgery date
    12/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Clay Wellborn, MD
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I am a type II insulin dependent diabetic......hum.....

Gastric Sleeve Member Michellelynn1236's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    09/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Castellanos
    Last Activity
    07-23-2013 09:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

I decided on the sleeve over the bypass because of absorption concerns, If I ever needed to take medicine in pill form I was told the sleeve was the better choice because food and pills will still go through the stomach and be absorbed that way. I think getting the sleeve for me was the right decision. My surgery is scheduled for September 17th.
    Good luck with your decision

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    clare
    Surgery date
    04/30/2012
    Surgeon
    dr decadt
    Last Activity
    10-30-2012 01:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

hi i had a gastric sleeve i was offered the bypass and i said no it was the best thing i went for no regrets from me,at the end of the day u should go with the one u feel best for u i wish u look xx

Name
    Francesca
    Surgery date
    09/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Simon Dexter
    Last Activity
    09-20-2013 01:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 121 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,721 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site. This is a great site lots of different experience from all over the world. Every country & surgeon does things different & it's interesting to read about other peoples experience & journey. Ask a question & someone will know something.

I agree with Michelle, I was offered the choice of bypass or sleeve & had concerns about absorption so chose the sleeve. My surgeon said that initial weight loss is quicker with the bypass but sustained weight loss depends on the attitude of the patient.

I think is we research the procedures we can make an informed decision on what is best for our own needs. I met someone last night who has chosen to go for the bypass, while this isn't the choice for me I respect the girls choice, she is about 150lbs bigger than me so I think the extra kick start from the bypass is the clincher for her.

I'm sure those of us who choose the sleeve will be successful & start living more energetic healthier lives. I'm very excited

Twitter - @GoldieLookinF

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    02/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Leblanc
    Last Activity
    07-11-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times
    Blog Entries

I chose the sleeve after interviewing several people. Some had sleeve, some bypass. Absorption issues made the choice for me. I started at 264 and I weigh 166 today. Six months and one week later. I've been told my loss is not typical so I am thankful to lose this much this quickly. I honestly feel great and since the 3rd day post op I have not felt bad. I expected there to be an adjustment to my habits and my lifestyle.I knew that I had to change eating certain things and made that a forever choice. I don't bemoan the fact that I do not eat chips and cookies. In my mind I have replaced those things with healthy options and simply do not eat those things EVER. This is my choice not imposed by my doctor. Some people here have surgery then grieve for things they used to eat. If I wanted to continue to eat what I used to why would I have the surgery? I also knew that I had just had MAJOR surgery and that my body would need time to heal, that my stomach was swollen. Knowing that made the few times I felt not 100 percent bearable. I read everything I could get my hands on in the six month period before surgery. It really helped me to go into this educated and knowing what to expect. Wishing you much success in your journey to a healthier lifestyle.

Gastric Sleeve Member LadyLacey's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Yu
    Said "Thanks" 294 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 105 Times
    Blog Entries

I think you should get the sleeve. You won't regret it!

Gastric Sleeve Member larrysgirl's Avatar
    Name
    Dawn
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr T. Duckett
    Last Activity
    04-29-2014 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Seejo, welcome to the site...I am having my sleeve on October 22nd, I too and type 2 diabetic, my insuance didnt make me do the 6 months diet and my insurance company said I am one of the few who is not made to do it. I did a lot of research and I am happy with my decision to have the sleeve. I am nervous and scared but excited and happy too, I just cant imagine not giving myself another shot....I can't say if the sleeve is right for you or not but do your homework, look on this site find someone who has had it already and ask a lot of questions...thats what I am doing and did, I wish you good look in your search...