Thread: New Member

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    08-02-2013 03:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Red face New Member

Hello, My name is Phyllis and I am 61 yrs old (Will be 62 yrs old in Sept)....I am strongly considering the Gastric Sleeve. I have completed all of the steps that are required before I meet with the surgeon. I was going to do the Gastric Bypass, but I am hypglycemic, and it is not recommeded that I choose the GB because some patients actually develop hypoglycemia some time after the surgery. Hypoglycemia is a blood sugar drop if you do not have enough protien in your diet throughout the course of each day. I have been guided by the nurtritionist in the program how to alleviate these incidents of low blood sugar drops, and it has helped me. Since I may not be able to have the GB (I just had some blood work done a few days ago, insulin/and glucose to see what my numbers are), so I would rather go with the SLEEVE than the LAP BAND. I'm just a bit leery because it is such a new procedure in the US, and not a lot of data to back it up. Hope that through this website, I can learn more about this surgery and find patients who have had the surgery and are doing well with the outcome.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Laural
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Cunneen
    Last Activity
    01-29-2019 11:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 121 Times in 118 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 199 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Member

Welcome! I too have not had the surgery as of yet, but I love this website. You will find it full of valuable insight. They say knowledge is power, and this site is loaded with knowledge. Enjoy!

Highest Weight: 279
    Weight Before Surgery: 252
    Current Weight: 190

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Thank you for your encouragement Laurel. Good luck to you! My nutritionst suggested this site, and I am happy to be a part of it. We all need as much support as possible!

Gastric Sleeve Member Eager2lose's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Albert Spaw
    Last Activity
    05-14-2013 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

Hi Phyllis!! I am also 61 years old and my doctor suggested the sleeve instead of the bypass due to the fact that with the bypass you are taking a lot of vitamins and supplements, with the sleeve I take 4. He was also concerned with my age and worried that the bypass could bring on osteoporosis. I followed his advice and am sure that I did the right thing in having the sleeve. I am just 2 months out and have lost 48 lbs and 4 dress sizes! I feel great and wished I had done in sooner. Good luck on your decision!

Gastric Sleeve Member Kathy Mather's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Matthew Metz
    Last Activity
    05-11-2019 12:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 734 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome, I am 62 and had sleeve surgery on 8/6. So far so good-I feel great and am following the rules and am loosing weight. Good luck with your decision, this forum is great.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jason Harrison
    Last Activity
    07-10-2014 12:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 113 Times in 83 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 247 Times

Hi, Phyllis---welcome to the forum. I am 60 years old. I had my sleeve done about a month before my 59th birthday. I had done lots of research and knew that the sleeve was the procedure I wanted. They usually recommend the gastric bypass for people as big as I was, but I decided that was too much messing around with my insides. The sleeve Is a simple procedure, and it is permanent. Plus, they remove the portion of your stomach that makes ghrelin, the hunger hormone. It just seems to me that a simpler solution is the better solution. No complicated rerouting of the GI tract, no foreign objects to slip or erode on your stomach, just make the stomach significantly smaller. Simple and elegant.

It was all about my health. At my age, I know I will never be a hardbody. I'm not all about the dress size or looking good in a swimsuit. I AM all about feeling better and being healthy, and being here to watch my grandkids grow, and being able to get down and play with them. I have lost 115 pounds so far, but am still a work in progress. Having said that, I am already SO much healthier and happier than I was before my surgery. Like almost everyone says, it's the best thing I have ever done for myself.

9. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Albert Spaw
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times

Amen to that!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-24-2013 08:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 97 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 377 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, I think I win, I am 70 had the sleeve in April and feelng and doing great. Good luck to you. Come join us it's great.

Surgery date
    06/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Albert Spaw
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times

I think you win too!! Congratulations on your wonderful loss! I agree that this is a wonderul procedure th surely changed my life!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Hello Joanne....so to hear that you are doing well after the surgery! I am trying to get the hang of this website, because I have heard so many wonderful things about it....I need all of the knowledge, support, encouragement, and insight that I can get. Hoping to have the surgery in about a month from now. There have been a few obstacles along the way, but I was told by my nutritionist that I should hear from the Surgeon's office in about another week. I feel the sleeve is the best option for me, so wish me luck! Thanks again for your post. Keep up the good work.