07/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hector Perez
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 99 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 193 Times
    Blog Entries

Default WLS Easy Way Out

I find it funny that people think wls is the easy way out.(and if it was why would that be bad) Seriously if there was an easy way out to lose weight and get from being obese to being healthy, that would be the best thing in the world!! Why would anyone put down an easy way to do that?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kerri Forrest
    Surgery date
    08/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Alan Thomas
    Last Activity
    09-07-2012 06:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Default Re: WLS Easy Way Out

I still can't work out how having MAJOR surgery is taking the easy way out!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

People are jealous, IMO, and/or have their own issues. If they are able to lose weight and maintain it, by God you should too! You see a lot of the same thing w/ plastic surgery. People may secretly wish for it but be too scared to do it themselves, thus resent people who just go and have it done. Humans are a weird and contradictory animals.
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

Gastric Sleeve Member bookwrmmom's Avatar
    Name
    Chrissy
    Surgery date
    06/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Enochs
    Last Activity
    01-20-2015 08:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 121 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 432 Times
    Blog Entries

Well those of us who have gone this route AND who are following the rules to a new healthy life know that is ridiculous! There is nothing easy about this at all. I take a great deal of time planning my meals for the day & logging every morsel I put in my mouth. I am constantly thinking about how I am going to meet my goals for the day of getting in my liquid and protein. I worry about screwing this up, but realistically I know that if I do what I am supposed to that I will have success. I also intentionally chose the procedure that was more slow and steady because I wanted this to be a lifetime change. I am not knocking anyone who has chose bypass because it has saved many lives, BUT I also know several people who have gained weight back. I know that I cannot eat more than a few ounces of food, and I know that what I eat has to be protein. Will I never enjoy a bite of dessert, or chocolate??? Of course I will, but it will be exception not the rule. Right now I don't even think about it except for the OCCASIONAL 1/2 cup of sugar free ice cream. That satisfies me for a few days or more at a time.
    There is also the surgery to consider which honestly WAS the easier part of the equation (let's face it, we were knocked out). The recovery and life after is the hard part!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. William Olsen
    Last Activity
    05-25-2014 06:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 163 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,596 Times
    Blog Entries

I've said before on this board that I was one of those people for the longest time. BUT it was, as I've learned, because I didn't have enough knowledge on the subject, and I was jealous... plain and simple. Seriously, I've had 2 friends who have done the surgery, and I tried years ago to get it approved, and I was denied. So my instant reaction to see them losing weight when I knew they had surgery was "They took the easy way out". And I can't apologize enough to them and to anyone who has had the surgery. I know, after researching and reading and starting a solid program to see if I can be approved, that not only is it not the 'easy way out', but in many ways, it's more difficult. A small person who diets to lose 5 pounds, has NO clue to what an obese person goes through.

So it's just my thought that naturally thin people or smaller people are just uninformed, and larger people or the obese are both uninformed and think they won't qualify, so could be a bit jealous. Sad, I know, but it's human nature.

Highest Weight: 2004 = 350
    Start of Bariatric Program 7/10/2012 = 314
    Pre-Op Diet 11/21/12 = 290
    Surgery Date 12/5/12 = 273
    1 Month Post Op 1/5/13 = 252
    2 Month's Post Op 2/5/13 = 241
    3 Month's Post Op 3/5/13 = 231.5
    4 Month's Post Op 4/5/13 = 218
    5 Month's Post Op 5/5/13 = 206
    6 Month's Post Op 6/5/13 = 195
    7 Month's Post Op 7/5/13 = 188

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

I used to be jealous but thought I couldn't get the surgery b/c I was smaller (I was correct-it took my being 255 at 5'6 to qualify) but I NEVER wished them ill will as it was something I would have done in a heartbeat! I'm glad I got it done now, though, b/c for a long time the only thing available was the GB and then the Lapband, which, we are learning, have problems. I hope nothing like that happens w/ the sleeve but I tell myself it's just a smaller stomach, it's not rerouting intestines/and or putting foreign objects into the body.

I was jealous that I couldn't have PS, too, but only b/c I couldn't afford it! I never took it out on the people themselves although I've always been aghast at really bad PS (The Catwoman, basketball sized breast implants) I'd never say it to anyone's face-that's just cruel.

Now that PS medical tourism has exploded and is an option for people in the states I'm definitely having things done when the time comes.
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Theresa
    Surgery date
    02/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Tri State
    Last Activity
    12-13-2021 08:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 352 Times

There is NOTHING easy about what I have done.

Surgery date
    03/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Bernita Berntsen, MD, FACS
    Last Activity
    01-02-2015 05:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 74 Times
    Was Thanked 67 Times in 60 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

I just posted a similar on another board. When I first had the sleeve done I was at a party. Me and some friends were in this circle around a fire talking and a buddy of mine said you didnt need surgery to loose weight. Just watch what you eat, I laughed as he was holding a can of beer in one hand and a cigarette in another. The circle got pretty quiet and waited for my response. I said John didnt you just go to an AA meeting a few days ago and here you are drinking you should just drink water and wernt you on the nicoderm patch and chewing gum to help you quit smoking, hows that working out for you... I said would you have surgery if you could quit drinking or quit smoking, its the same exact thing. told him see I lost 60/70 lbs 2 times prior and it kept coming back i needed a permanet fix to help me live longer and there is nothing wrong that. He looked down and said yeah i see your point. A few friends clapped and just told the crowd look we all have our faults mine was over eating his is smoking/drinking told them keep that in mind when you see another friend have Weight Loss Surgery
    day of pre op diet 331
    10/17 7 month ==242 ..89 lbs down
    Aug 1 224--- 110 lbs gone

11. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Erik Wlison
    Last Activity
    07-22-2013 08:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 91 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 152 Times

I say, let them think what they want! I know that what I have done is going to save my life. If people think I saved my life the easy way so be it. They don't have a clue!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

Pure ignorance and mean spiritedness. This is why I keep it a secret. I don't need other people's negative vibes being sent my way.

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

Gastric Sleeve Member AngelEyesInNJ81's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia
    Last Activity
    10-16-2013 12:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times
    Blog Entries

Uh oh, my main reason for thinking surgery was an easy way out is lets face it , it is/was for SOME people. My cousin never tried dieting and forget about exercise, she opted right for the bypass (over 10 yrs ago) once she knew the insurance would cover it, for people such as her I think that it is the easy way out and still do. Although it does seem like insurances have gotten a lot stricter these days so I am not sure if anyone can use it as an easy way out if you have to provide documentation that you have TRIED to lose weight before.

On the other hand majority of people that are going through and opting for the surgery it is NOT an easy way out. When you commit to the surgery it is a life altering thing nothing easy about that, it give you another chance at life and being happy. Also I know majority have been through dieting, working out and it more then likely did not give the results that were wanted or needed. I am right there with everyone else, that is why I am in the process of trying to be sleeved, for people that have TRIED I definitely do not think it is an easy way out for them.

In the end, regardless of what anyone thinks, the surgery is going to give EVERYONE a better quality of life and just put them on the road to being happier. I give my best wishes to everyone on this journey

Kind Regards,
    Angel
    "What other people think of me is none of my business" - Love this quote

Start: 8/2012 - 303 lbs
    Pre-Op diet : 10/15/12 - 301 lbs (-2lbs)
    Pre-Op Surgery Weight: 11/8/12 - 282 lbs (-19lbs)
    1 M: 12/8/12 - 258 lbs (-30lbs)
    2 M: 1/8/13 - 245 lbs (-13lbs)
    3 M: 2/8/13 - 234 lbs (-11lbs)
    4 M: 3/8/13 - 224 lbs (-10lbs)
    5 M: 4/8/13 - 218 lbs (- 6lbs)
    6 M: 5/8/13 - 213 lbs (- 5lbs)
    7 M: 6/8/13 - 202 lbs (-11lbs)
    8 M: 7/8/13 - 193 lbs (- 9lbs)
    9 M: 8/8/13 - 191 lbs (-2 lbs)

Gastric Sleeve Member SECRETSLEEVE's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hector Perez
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Blog Entries

But what is funny is it not even a mean thing to say, it actually is comment that would encourage someone to get WLS. I mean who wouldn't want an easy way out of obesity?

Surgery date
    05/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Syn
    Last Activity
    08-23-2013 10:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 104 Times in 100 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times
    Blog Entries

My surgeon thinks it should be the first thing you do not the last, since 90% of all obese to morbidly obese people gain the weight back that they lose. He says' why waste that time and put your health at risk'. He especially feels this way about people who have struggled from childhood or young adulthood...sooner means a longer and better life can be lived.

Gastric Sleeve Member SECRETSLEEVE's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hector Perez
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mila View Post
    My surgeon thinks it should be the first thing you do not the last, since 90% of all obese to morbidly obese people gain the weight back that they lose. He says' why waste that time and put your health at risk'. He especially feels this way about people who have struggled from childhood or young adulthood...sooner means a longer and the life can be lived.
    I agree now. My doctor agrees with your doctor, but I didn't want to believe that years ago, I wanted to do it without surgery, I believed I could do it without surgery. I was successful losing the weight many times but I never was able to maintain it, so after gaining the same hundred pounds that I lost AGAIN I said maybe wls will help me maintain it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    angela zinck
    Surgery date
    01/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-10-2014 05:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

People are affraid of things they don't understand. It's always been that way. further more most of the people that say that are either thin or chickens!! lol!! I think that people like us are daring, courageous and even pioneers for having the guts to stand up and say enough is enough i can't do this fat thing anymore and i'm gonna committ to doing what ever it is i have to to end this cycle and take back control of my life!! I don't know about anyone else but i wasted way too much of my life being that unhappy fat chick!! I'm 36 this year and this is the last time i'l be fat. So don't put any stock in to what others say cause they aren't living your life.....you are!!!!!!