04/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Verboonan
    Last Activity
    06-18-2014 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 4 months out and Incredibly FRUSTRATED, and taking it out on the very wrong people and places

Im 4 months out. I am stalling and gaining weight so much that I cant even sleep anymore from worry. Ive stalled at between 180-183 for 5 weeks now, and its driving me crazy. I know im am eating anymore then I do normally because my stomach has stretched a bit, and i actually went down to 180 and then back to 183. Im yelling at my husband, "binging" (to me that eating until im very full) and being destructive to myself in general. Please tell me everyone goes through this and it ends, and that my surgery hasnt just given up on me. I will admit, i have not started to exercise.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 08:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 186 Times in 173 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 301 Times

Default Re: 4 months out and Incredibly FRUSTRATED, and taking it out on the very wrong people and places

I think you need to make an appointment with your nutritionist. Are you tracking your calories, protein, and fluids? Are you taking your vitamins? Are you exercising? Everyone stalls; it's perfectly normal. I tend to have a small gain just before a stall-something along hte lines of 3-4 pounds, but have had as big as a 7 pound gain. It went away when the stall ended. The emotional part is fairly normal too, but you have to get control of yourself. You are the only one who can change things and make them better. If you find yourself getting irritated and irrational, exercise is probably your best cure.

Good luck!

Name
    Gina
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Kim
    Last Activity
    03-25-2013 11:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

Default Re: 4 months out and Incredibly FRUSTRATED, and taking it out on the very wrong people and places

We started about the same weight and have about the same surgery date and I'm right there with you... stuck between 178 and 181 for quite some time now. I haven't been eating according to plan (too many carbs) and haven't been exercising, BUT I really haven't gained weight as I would have in my pre-sleeve days and I continue to lose inches so I'm trying not to beat myself up. Had an extremely stressful couple of months just after my surgery (not sleeve related) and then have had a crazy busy summer. With the kiddo going back to school in a couple of weeks, I plan to get back on track. So, try not to beat yourself up too much, but stop that destructive behavious cuz it gets you no where!

Gastric Sleeve Member soontobethin's Avatar
    Name
    Cherrie
    Surgery date
    02/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-19-2017 09:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts

I've been the same for a month also and a friend of mine told me he called the doctor because he also was stuck. Without even asking what he had been doing they said you need to exercise and drink your water. As soon as I drank my water for 2 days and just walked in the neighborhood, I went down 4 lbs. Water is the answer I'm sure of it!!

Gastric Sleeve Member aboutime4me's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 368 Times in 333 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey there, I know your frustration but you need to get hold of your emotions and stop the binge eating, or eating as much as you are. You know what you're doing...again, the sleeve is only a tool unless we get our emotions and head in the game properly. Also, get your body up and moving, doing some kind of physical activity. I will never be an athlete and don't aspire to that, but for me, walking is the exercise of choice. Get a video such as Walk Away the Pounds and do it in your home if you want. No one will see you there and you can do it whenever you want. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can do a 1 mile, 2 mile or even a 3 mile walk at a time. Good luck and keep us posted.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Brad
    Surgery date
    07/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ajay Goyal
    Last Activity
    09-08-2017 08:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by SFsleeve View Post
    Please tell me everyone goes through this and it ends, and that my surgery hasnt just given up on me. I will admit, i have not started to exercise.
    The number 1 thing most surgeons promote is exercise and walking daily. You openly admit you have not been exercising. You say that you have been eating till very full and binge eating. So being direct with you: Are you surprised by the result of being non compliant? The sleeve is a restrictive procedure and all the same rules of weight loss prior to the operation now apply.

I see so many people on here refer to stalls. Some of them are really doing their best and have some kind of metabolic imbalance causing a temporary stop loss on the scale. But in many cases it's people who simply don't understand that this is not a magic operation. They don't exercise and don't do the math on weight loss. It has always come down to numbers for us. If we don't burn 3,500 calories after all things are counted then don't expect to lose a pound. If you don't know about BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and the effects of Ketosis on it you need to.

So it's normal for weight loss to slow as your body adjusts and becomes more efficient and burns less calories. But it's not normal to expect a loss where the math doesn't add up. All of that aside I do feel for your struggle. I struggle to stay on point each and every day. But someone needs to be honest and direct with you. If you want this operation to be a success you need to use the tool as prescribed. Talk to your doctor and nut and get things back on course.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Denise
    Surgery date
    07/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to agree with the others exersice is the number one keys. Have you tried to go back to the basics and do a week of liquid diet? It never hurts to try. Best of luck with your stall.