Dr Padovan
    Last Activity
    12-16-2012 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Met with negativity

I still haven't told my sisters but my mum and dad knew and my best friend and another friend. It is for the support that I need them as mum and dad are on the other side of the country. I know I'll get negative feedback from my sisters but it's because they'll be jealous that I'll be losing weight and they'll be putting it on. We are a big family. I've had no negative feedback...to my face...from a few that know and I went into the surgery having done hours of research on the net and had the best doctor and staff to talk too. I'm in day 5 and truly believe that this is and will be the best decision of my life. My husband goes in for his on May 2 so he's seen what he's going to be in for and he's still going to go ahead with it. I'm a stay at home and so I'm not allowed to lift or bend for 2 weeks. He's been awesome and I'll be recovered by the time it's his turn.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    04-17-2012 08:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 56 Times
    Blog Entries

Good for you qand tell hubby for me...keep the faith, his turn will be here before he realizes it. I am keeping a journal thanks to another sleever bringing it up...and one day one of my kids or grand kids will read it and say..."Hey, wasn't this just about the time Granny went to San Diego for a meeting?" Honestly, once it is done and I have lost enough weight to be noticable...if they ask I will tell them and there isn't anything they can do or say that will do any good. Just call me a Mean Momma! LOL Hang in there and so glad you made this decision for yourself. Be sure and keep us posted as to how you are doing. Always, Byl. (Bylinda)

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Janet
    Surgery date
    03/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sanborn
    Last Activity
    08-23-2011 04:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 210 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 158 Times

My dear friend and biggest supporter stuck up for me when I was getting some negativity by telling the person "You do not know what it's like to be her!"
    I couldn't have said it better!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    04-17-2012 08:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 56 Times
    Blog Entries

Exactly! All of us going through this cannot honestly say we know what you are going through because each of us has our own life and way of dealng with it. At least we can say we honestly understand and commiserate with one another. Keep up the good work...hope I do as well. Always, Byl.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-11-2012 06:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Hi there. I have the same issue as well. I limited the group of folks I told. I only confided in close friends that I may need support from. Those who I'm around the most. They need to know what I'm going through so they know how to assist me in case I need them. They didn't like it, but they had to respect it as they know I've done my research. I will be sleeved 4/19/2011 so they are gonna have to get over it. I won't tell anyone else though.
    Hope everything works out for you. Remember, no one is gonna understand what your going through until they have exerienced it too, but you got us! Hang in there.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/01/2010
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 255 Times in 129 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 221 Times

I didn't tell anyone about my surgery precisely to avoid the explanations and the negativity, not even to my family only my mom knows because she traveled with me and took care of me. I prefer it this way because when you say you are having surgery people think they have the right to ask questions or give you their opinion even if they are not asked and even though they are not paying for your surgery. At the end is your decision and trust me I really understand you because I have a family history of diabetes, kidney disease, hipertension, I myself have had hipertension and since I had surgery the cardiologist took my hipertension pill away...so do this for yourself and the rest can swallow their opinion and shut up!

14. Said thanks: