Surgeon
    Dr. Said Bina
    Last Activity
    06-27-2013 02:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default Dr. Spiegel Houston, NO NO NO

Friend of mine had gastric Bypass a while back by Dr. Spiegel in Houston. She recently starting complaing about pain and he told her she was imagining it. She convinced him to check her into the hospital and after doing endoscopy found that scar tissue has blocked her intestines and that it was keeping her from being able to go to the bathroom. He performed surgery a few weeks ago to remove scar tissue and then every day after surgery she started getting sicker and sicker, Another bariatric doctor looked at her and said that they needed to open her back up and he found that Spiegel punctured her colon when removing the scar tissue and all her bowels were emptying into her insides and poisening her. She almost had no pulse when they started the surgery. But they saved her life. My friends husband will not let Spiegel near her now. Spiegel also told her that only 10% of people that get sleeve and or bypass will loose weight and that she was one of the lucky ones that did. and that 40% of patients have post op complications and that she fell into that 40% which I think from all my research that he is completely wrong. I also searched this Dr. up on the internet and found terrible reviews. 9 out of 10 were bad. We all need to do our research before picking a doctor

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dr. Spiegel Houston, NO NO NO

That is scary. 80% of the people who has surgery can maintain the weightloss. So it is still a pretty good statistic in comparison to traditional diet & exercise.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

Gastric Sleeve Member stephintexas's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Mirza
    Last Activity
    05-22-2014 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 127 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 32 Times

I've heard terrible things about him. I went with a newer doctor. I'm not fond of his meal plan but LOVE LOVE LOVE His bedside manner.

Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

40% of HIS patients may have complications, but the overall complication rate for bypass surgery is much lower ( and lower still for sleeve patients). This guy needs to have his license taken from him. Your friend should report him to your state's medical govening board. Good luck!

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Bina
    Last Activity
    04-09-2014 11:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

Yet another reason why I did not go to him or others like him that have million dollar offices and that is ALL they do. You want experience but I did not want a doc that was on commercials and boards arcross town. I dont have medical issues other then being fat so knew my risk was low but I think these type practices prey on those that should NOT have surgery do to other health risks. I had a family member that no one should have touched her with 10ft pole and she almost died think they did lap band on her several years ago (she still wont talk about it) It was a well known here in houston too but I forget which one they left her to die in ER same thing said she was fine. Once I tell my family what I did I am sure I can find out what doc it was.

If you are in the Houston area and looking will be gald to PM you where I went.......small office but he has the excellance cert for BS.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wktSten/]

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member sarahjayne823's Avatar
    Name
    Sarah
    Surgery date
    08/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ricardo Bonnor
    Last Activity
    01-23-2013 11:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 83 Times

I agree! I didn't even consider him/his office -- too slick for me!

Gastric Sleeve Member SuzieInTexas's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Turnquest
    Last Activity
    04-11-2013 09:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times

Holy cow, so sorry for your friend's experience. I pray that she fully heals and stays healthy.

I walked away from the first WLS doc, well, actually ran. He and his program gave me the heebee geebees. All kinds of bells and whistles going off. My sister is an RN, no longer in patient care, but in hospital admin up at Baylor in Dallas. She gave me tips on what to look for regarding surgeons. Wound up going with a much better doc & program, bariatric center of excellence, etc etc. Unsolicited rave reviews from the hospital and pre-op testing staff.
    ~~
    No Regrets! Life is Good! Thank you Dr T! It's all up to me now and I can do it!
    ~~

Gastric Sleeve Member incredibleshrnkngshirly's Avatar
    Name
    Shirley
    Surgery date
    07/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Terry Scarborough
    Last Activity
    10-18-2015 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,398 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sureshotcharlie View Post
    Friend of mine had gastric Bypass a while back by Dr. Spiegel in Houston. She recently starting complaing about pain and he told her she was imagining it. She convinced him to check her into the hospital and after doing endoscopy found that scar tissue has blocked her intestines and that it was keeping her from being able to go to the bathroom. He performed surgery a few weeks ago to remove scar tissue and then every day after surgery she started getting sicker and sicker, Another bariatric doctor looked at her and said that they needed to open her back up and he found that Spiegel punctured her colon when removing the scar tissue and all her bowels were emptying into her insides and poisening her. She almost had no pulse when they started the surgery. But they saved her life. My friends husband will not let Spiegel near her now. Spiegel also told her that only 10% of people that get sleeve and or bypass will loose weight and that she was one of the lucky ones that did. and that 40% of patients have post op complications and that she fell into that 40% which I think from all my research that he is completely wrong. I also searched this Dr. up on the internet and found terrible reviews. 9 out of 10 were bad. We all need to do our research before picking a doctor

I'm so glad your friend was okay...I almost used him. My heart doctor and my foot doctor BOTH told me to use somebody else. My family doc said he didn't like Speigle either...said the after care sucked and he treated people like cattle! I went online to find someone in Houston and that's how I found where to go...I love my doc....Speigle needs to be shut down, I think word is getting around faster now...he has more commercials on weight loss meals. The band is on its way out too. I was happy to find out I wasn't the only one who thought this doc was a joke! I will pray for your friends full recovery!