Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    02-13-2012 01:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Question terrified of extra skin...

Hey all! My name is Christina. I am 24 years old and have 4 beautiful boys!! I am currently going through the process of getting the sleeve done. At first I was contemplating the lap band procedure until I read all about the failed attempts and horror stories. I haven't heard many horror stories if any at all if there are any..
    I'm getting my procedure done (hopefully) soon. I have Kaiser so it seems like it's going to take a while. Anyone else have Kaiser?
    Also, the thing I am scared of the most is having loose skin after the procedure... I have seen millions of before and after pics but they are all clothed pics. I haven't seen but one or two after pictures with loose skin, surgery scars or plastic surgery scars (from removed excess skin)
    I am 5'6 closer to 5'7 and am 278. My highest weight ever was 317 ( in the beginning of my last pregnancy)My weight 2 months ago was 289. I carry my weight well. It is not all in my stomach but my stomach does already hang... this is my only concern... or, my major concern I should say...
    any stories, pictures or advice???

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr George Hopkins
    Last Activity
    11-09-2013 03:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 234 Times in 134 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 80 Times

Default Re: terrified of extra skin...

My surgeon told me that I he did his job properly, then I will need a tummy tuck !! So I'm prepared to do that 12-18 after. But I'm worried about my arms and turkey neck?

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Toni
    Surgery date
    01/23/2009
    Last Activity
    04-19-2011 03:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times

I have had the excess skin removed I have a scar that is hidden by underwear from hip to hip it is slowly fading. The scar will depend on your surgeons ability and your skins pigment. I have an olive complexion so my scar is a little darker. The younger you are the more chance you have that your skin will bounce back. I haven't regretted any decisions i have made with either surgery.

Sheryl I have the saggy baggy arms but you can hide them with longer sleeves

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Lady Di
    Surgery date
    06/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Camacho
    Last Activity
    09-13-2017 03:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 68 Times
    Was Thanked 116 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 356 Times

I've loss 71lbs on my own without the surgery and if I had to evaluate my body after that loss. The inner thighs are shot. I'm going to up my exercise and really lift some weights and do some squats and fingers crossed I wont have too much collateral damage from my YEARS of dietary abuse to my body.

All time highest weight: 377 lbs.
    Sleeved (with some minor complications) June 13th 2011 - I weighed 295 lbs!
    Since my surgery I have loss: 85lbs

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/24/2011
    Surgeon
    Huddleston
    Last Activity
    02-21-2018 01:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

My thought on my extra skin is.... Its already there!! It's just filled with fat. So I'd rather have excess skin then all this excess fat. It's easier to hide excess skin under clothes than it is 100 lbs (in my case) of extra fat. I am 24 as well and had 2 c-sections. So that's just a thought... But I will probably have PLastics if it comes down to being a lot but maybe down the rd. Only time will tell.
    Sleeved February 24,2011<3

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    02-13-2012 01:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Thumbs up Re: terrified of extra skin...

Quote Originally Posted by B_&_K'sMamma View Post
    My thought on my extra skin is.... Its already there!! It's just filled with fat. So I'd rather have excess skin then all this excess fat. It's easier to hide excess skin under clothes than it is 100 lbs (in my case) of extra fat. I am 24 as well and had 2 c-sections. So that's just a thought... But I will probably have PLastics if it comes down to being a lot but maybe down the rd. Only time will tell.
    I am 24. 5'6-5'7 and 278. I have 100+ to lose as well. I also have had 4 babies. 2 vaginal and 2 c-section. I have a small scar from the c-section at my bikini line.
    I don't know if I'm more afraid of loose skin or ugly scars...

I definitely plan on hitting the gym hard! I LOVE THE GYM! So, hopefully I can help my skin before and after! =)

Thank you everyone for all your replies!!!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Toni
    Surgery date
    01/23/2009
    Last Activity
    04-19-2011 03:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times

I ended up having to have the excess skin removed it was causing me issues from a health perspective. It isn't a decision to take lightly as it is painful, good pain relief helps. I had to walk around with 2 drains in for a few days then had one in for another week after going home.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Teri Smesrud
    Surgery date
    04/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Kim
    Last Activity
    08-22-2011 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,644 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 263 Times

My surgeon said the most desired plastic surgery is...... For the arms. It is quite hot here and he said most women want to go sleeveless. At least we can wear compression garments to hold in our stomachs, thighs, abs, etc until we can firm up as much as possible. I had a friend who had a tummy tuck after losing weight on HCG shots. Her plastic surgeon said that she had done a good job on her muscles so she only had to tighten the skin. She only had 60 lbs or so, not as much as most of us. I was concerned about loose skin for years but I decided not to let that stand in the way of my health. For years I have joked saying that I look so young because my wrinkles are "fluffed" out by my fat. Lol I guess we will see...I am 56 so hopefully I won't look over 50!

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member lovinglife's Avatar
    Name
    Loli
    Surgery date
    05/11/2011
    Last Activity
    07-09-2011 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 226 Times
    Was Thanked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 187 Times

If I have excess skin, I'll just get it removed. I'm just worried about the arms. I don't want a scar down my arms.

Gastric Sleeve Member MissDeidre's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Anthony McLuney
    Last Activity
    10-14-2011 08:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 110 Times
    Was Thanked 472 Times in 251 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 147 Times

I've already started scouting places to have my excess skin removed. Someone brought up a very good point in my support group ... start saving for it now. That way, when the time comes, if you don't NEED the surgery, you have a nice nest egg of cash to spend on clothes.
    I know I'm going to need (at the least) a tummy tuck and lower body lift (I carry all my weight in my thighs and stomach) so it doesn't hurt to start looking into my options. I'm not even going to fight with my insurance company ... I'm just planning on going down to Costa Rica.

As someone else said, it's not a decision to be made lightly ... but it is one that you will probably have to make at some point. I'm just not comfortable with having excess skin ...

Best of luck!
    ----
    Sleeved 2 March 2011
    <a href="http://asinglebite.com/">A Gastronomical Journey to Skinny</a>

Surgery date
    02/10/2011
    Last Activity
    04-22-2012 03:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 338 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 90 Times

I just hope that the worry of excess skin won't dissuade anyone from making the choice. Sometimes our mind plays tricks on us and tries to convince us a fat us is more "attractive" than a deflated saggy us. I think excess skin is a problem worth taking on.

I know I am going to have to tackle it at some point, but I know my partner is finding the lighter me sexy and I feel better about myself, so it is good enough for now.

21. Said thanks: