Dr. Schauer
    Last Activity
    09-07-2019 02:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My experience with Dr. Garcia in Mexico- Warning: very long

I do pray that the infection clears up and that you will be doing better soon.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Paige
    Surgery date
    07/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia
    Last Activity
    11-30-2014 10:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I have my surgery scheduled with Dr. Garcia on July 9th and now I'm completely nervous and questioning my decision. I know 2 others that had him perform their surgeries and nothing like this happened. Do you think that maybe it could be a fluke or perhaps something different? I really don't want to start all over at this point.

Surgery date
    06/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia
    Last Activity
    04-25-2013 07:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 260 Times

Quote Originally Posted by paigep View Post
    I have my surgery scheduled with Dr. Garcia on July 9th and now I'm completely nervous and questioning my decision. I know 2 others that had him perform their surgeries and nothing like this happened. Do you think that maybe it could be a fluke or perhaps something different? I really don't want to start all over at this point.
    No, I do not think this was a "fluke" because 3 of us whom had surgery the week on 6/18 have ended up with post-op infections. I contacted Dr. Garcias office and spoke with Dr. Velazco concerning these infections. I believe that they will investagate to find out what is causing the infections. I am not sure if it is coming from the instruments they are using or from the nurses. Dr. Velazco asked me to send my culutre report to them when available. I would contact them prior to your surgery to talk with them about your concerns about the post op infections. Please do not them tell you that it is not true because I promise you, this is happening.

Surgery date
    06/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DecoGirl View Post
    I want to thank you ladyberg, for sharing your story. I just posted the above comment as well, and I am very upset. I was also in room 302. I was actually in another room, while they were cleaning 302 on the 20th. You must have just been released prior to that. I don't remember seeing you.

Please keep me posted on whether the augmentin works because I will be asking the doctor for that very medicine tomorrow when I go.
    Wanted to let you know that I spoke with Dr. Velazco and she said she will be contacting you concerning your post-op infections.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    01-05-2013 03:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

paige...i was going to Dr. Garcia and had everything booked because i didnt find anything bad about him until this week. He also had a death. I am gonig to Dr. Aceves now and its $5000 down and im paying $200/mo for 21 months so total its $8750. They have in house financing and will work with you. He is just as good if not better than Dr. Alvererz those two are the BEST doctors you can go to in Mexico. Top notch! Yes it is a little more expensive but id rather pay a little more for my health that to have complications, you get what you pay for. Plus most Mexico doctors arent as cautous about sterilization as doctors in the US (so ive heard). Hope this helps. Good luck!

And Ladyberg I hope you heal smoothly and everything turns around for you and you have alot of wieght loss success, thank you so much for sharing!

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    07-03-2012 06:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi. Wondering how you're doing? I went to a doctor on Monday, and I was given a Cephalosporin antibiotic shot. I was also instructed to up my dose of Keflex to 500 mg 4x a day. It does appear the redness is subsiding. But the skin seems hardened under the surface around the incisions. I am not running a fever.

However, my abdomen feels weird, so I'm beginning to wonder if something else is wrong. Just a lot of discomfort, like indigestion in my lower bowel, kind of a burny type sensation.

I read a blog earlier and found comments regarding several people that developed infections during their stay in the Jerusalem Hospital. Their doctor was Dr. Almanza. The patients were told the infection was due to dirty surgical instruments. I wonder if this is a common problem in Mexico.

Did you have puss under your skin in your infected areas? What did it look like? Not sure I have/had the same thing as you.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hi. Do you have a link regarding the death linked to Dr. Garcia? I'm interested in reading about that.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

UPDATE: I just removed my bandage from the larger of my incisions and it is filled with puss which is oozing out. Great.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    01-05-2013 03:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Oh no! Have u contacted sandy or rhonda?

Surgery date
    06/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DecoGirl View Post
    UPDATE: I just removed my bandage from the larger of my incisions and it is filled with puss which is oozing out. Great.
    I contacted Sandy and she is also looking into this situation. Dr. Velezco called me back today concerning my culture results. She said that she has tried to contact you (Christy) concerning your infections. The person that was there with me (at the Mi Doctor Hospital) also had to go to the ED yesterday to have an area infected area opened and drained. I also spoke with Dr. Velezco about the nurses not properly administering Lovenox. They are giving it IM (intermuscluar) when it should be given sub-Q (into the fatty tissue of the lower abdomen). Keflex (a cephlasporin)covers cellulitis to the skin and should be taken 4 times a day. Bactrim DS twice a day covers any type of MRSA infection of the skin.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Update: Spent 7 hours in ER today. I had a lot of bloodwork and a CT scan. The infection appears to be on, and under the surface of the skin, but the doctor didn't feel it was necessary to drain it because there is no puss sacks underneath. I just don't understand their reasoning there. Did you have puss sacks?

So for now I am putting up with the draining of puss and blood coming out of the largest incision. I know I saw a puss line in the middle of the second largest cut, and the skin feels hard around the incision, but no draining from that one.

I don't think MI hospital staff understand the concept of sterilization. Apparently they think mopping the floors of the rooms every day is enough to keep a sterile environment. I was also suspicious of their methods when I saw the same guy mopping floors who also assisted in the operating room. The staff also seem to come and go freely in and out of the operating room. They don't keep that room isolated enough.

I am now on Keflex 4x a day and the Bactrim. But the infection is still in the incision(s) because the doctor didn't want to drain.

Also, the blood work showed I am very low in potassium, so you might want to start taking a supplement. I picked some up on my way home at Walmart. They are smaller pills and inexpensive.

I don't really want to talk to anyone from Dr. Garcias group, unless they want to send me money for all this follow up care. This is not going like I had planned.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Do you think I should go back to the hospital tomorrow and insist they drain? I am getting so scared. I can't believe the doctor made the decision not to do draining. Why would they mess around like that? No, there are no visible puss sacks under the surface, but obviously there is infection since it is oozing. Doctor even said it's infection. I don't get it.

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

I"m not a medical professional but I'd say they don't want to drain because they are worried about spreading it and feel leaving it alone and treating you with antibiotics is a safer course of action. So sorry you are going through this! If it gets any worse or you get a fever get back to the ER....
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Name
    Sonja
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel Szomstein
    Last Activity
    12-10-2015 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 191 Times in 178 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I will continue to pray for your quick and flawless recovery. Hugz!

Name
    Paige
    Surgery date
    07/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia
    Last Activity
    11-30-2014 10:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I'm very sorry this has happened to y'all and I pray for your speedy recovery. Having said that, I have contacted Sandy and questioned her about these issues. I want to find out if they are doing anything about the problem and if not, I'm going to request my money back. I'm not sure I can get it though. I'll let y'all know what she says as soon as she gets back with me.
    I'm also trying to keep an open mind because I know that this kind of thing can happen anywhere. Not just in Mexico. And I know SO many people who have had good experiences with Dr. Garcia. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and seeing if they do anything to rectify the situation.