Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-19-2014 09:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Not Loosing Weight! & Miserable

Thanks for all the replies... I am still struggling but really working hard to loose.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member synthetyc's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Elizabeth
    Surgery date
    11/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the feedback, I am not drinking any soda. Not a soda person. If anything I have drink coffee. But my intake is so low it should be doing wonders. Sometimes I wonder how big the pouch is, and maybe if the lap band would have been better for me.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Coleen
    Surgery date
    02/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Sonny Cavazos
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Sorry to say but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one struggling and disappointed in my sleeve. My "honeymoon" period lasted about a month. I have never had a problem eating anything. What they said I would eventually be able to do...eat a child's portion I can already do. I feel like I am right where I was prior to surgery...struggling to lose weight and maintain it.

Name
    Elizabeth
    Surgery date
    11/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing Coleen... Wish I had a quick fix.....Something ---

Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Ramos-Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

I feel really for you! I've really had to work my butt off to lose anything too. The first month was really the only time when the weight came off consistently. It is very hard for some of us. I have eeked out 4-5 lbs in the last month or two and that's eating less than 800 calories, 80g protein, 75 oz of water a day and excercise. I know lots of people will say that's too little calories, but if I go over 800, I gain weight. I have a hypothyroid (just slightly, but not enough to be on meds anymore). I excercise everyday, just like you.....I don't have any answers, but wanted you to know you definately are not alone. I'm not giving up! Hang in there, I hope you find what works for you.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Elizabeth
    Surgery date
    11/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Okay, look at the last post by Scgal, isnt that the same parameters that we would take to loose weight without a sleeve? I am missing the point of evening having my sleeve done... I wanted faster results to keep up with the work I already did - I put in my time, and I paid to take off the rest that was hard to do.... Just seems like such a waste!

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Yeah, I am so there with you! This is the 9th straight day of NOT 1 lb. of weight loss, despite less than 800 cals, low carb, etc etc. I haven't been walking because it's just too hot outside and I have been getting sick if I spend any time outside. I'm getting a treadmill this weekend, but not sure if I think it will help any. So depressing. I feel like all I do is whine about it but dang, I went through so much and was looking forward to this helping me to have more energy and be more healthy. Now all I do is stay inside, eat very little, have no energy, and get depressed from lack of results. This really sucks so far...
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

Name
    Elizabeth
    Surgery date
    11/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Agrees..... wish I knew what to do... and how to fix it... I so want to be back to my normal weight and size.... I honestly don't feel this was a good decision...

Name
    Lee Ann
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr James Davidson
    Last Activity
    10-23-2016 10:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

I know it's not the healthiest way ,but my friend lost 100 pounds in 7 months by drinking mostly protein shakes, taking her vitamins and getting in 100 grams of protein a day in the shakes.
    “It’s not the mistakes in life that are important; it’s what we learn from them.” ~Donna Guthrie

Preop 17 pounds lost
    The rest is all surgery baby :-)
    My sleeve is my new best friend

Name
    Elizabeth
    Surgery date
    11/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Lord that sounds like alot~!

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

You could get 90 grams taken care of w/ 3 Premium shakes a day that you can get at Costco, other folks say Sam's Club, or you can buy online. The 10 you can take care of w/ some chicken soup by Unjury, (available online only) 1 cup = 20 grams protein; also good for when you want a break from the sweet shakes.

Or you could have cottage cheese at dinner or something so you have something more substantial. I think people do well on protein shakes only b/c they can't "eat" anything and I haven't heard of a person OD-ing on protein shakes...
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

Surgery date
    08/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. James Foote
    Last Activity
    07-10-2013 03:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

take a look at your diet - you may need to actually increase your daily calories and up your protein. I am 11 months into my surgery and have lost almost 140 pounds. Exercise regularly, watch what I eat, and pay particular attention to the protein intake. Don't know why - something the nutritionist at my surgeon's office told me. Surgeon said the same thing - instead of 1600 calories per day, try 1800 calories per day but increase the protein from 60 grams per day to 80. Good luck - hope it owrks out for you.

btw - I don't touch protein shakes. I do eat the atkins bars, beef jerky, slim jims for protein. I pretty much eat whatever I want - but the big thing is that the things I want to eat have changed dramatically. No dairy, no bread, no treats, no potatoes, rice or pasta of any variety (if it's white, it ain't right), and I make sure I eat half of whatever is on my plate. I am almost never hungry and have tons of energy.
    Reason: had another thought to share

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by synthetyc View Post
    I had my surgery Nov. 2, 2011 - Prior to Surgery I lost 84 lbs on my own through exercise, changing eating habits, and B12 injections.

Date of Surgery I weight 301 lbs
    Now: 263 - STUCK!

I don't know what to do, what to change or what not to change... I'm personally sick of seeing everyone on face book who had surgery with me loose and loose weight. I feel like a failure and did I just waste a ton of money for nothing? Seems like only I could screw up weight loss surgery.

I work a demanding position 13 hours a day, behind a desk - Is my sleeve broken or am I?

Can anyone help me?
    Did you know that the stress hormone Cortisol can stop weight loss in its tracks? Sounds like you have a stressful job. I'm wondering if you are getting enough peaceful downtime to let your cortisol level drop at all? I know you have to work, of course. Wondering if maybe you can carve out even 1/2 hr before bed to listen to some guided meditation cds as you fall asleep? they get your brain into an alpha state and it really helps your cortisol level. Also, are you sleeping enough period? At least 7-8 hrs a night, 9 is better? And how IS your b12 level? Maybe more shots would help? I'm pretty much stuck as well at this point. My loss dropped dramatically after I did hospice at home with my mother in law. The stress set off a reaction and it's been months and I never got the sleeve mojo back. But it is what it is. One thing I have had some success with is carb cycling. Two consecutive days a week of under 20 carbs and over 90 gms of protein (no sf sweeteners at all), then the other days mostly just paying attention to keeping the protein really high but eating carbs more loosely and always drinking at least 100 oz of liquids a day.
    hugs from Maine - this isn't an easy road....
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by synthetyc View Post
    Agrees..... wish I knew what to do... and how to fix it... I so want to be back to my normal weight and size.... I honestly don't feel this was a good decision...
    I hope that this doesn't discourage you or upset you. I know you expected a lot more out of being sleeved and I totally understand. We all expect to lose a lot of weight. I just wanted to tell you about a lady I know who had serious issues losing weight like you after being sleeved

This lady lost 80 lbs before being sleeved. She was sleeved at 315 lbs

One year post op gastric sleeve her weight was-270 lbs

She lost 45 lbs in one year following the diet very well but her body just needed more.

She got the duodenal switch surgery.

She lost down to 171.5 lbs so far at about 13 months post op. So she has lost almost 100 lbs in a year with this particular surgery.

I really think her body needed the malabsorption.

I know you wanted this surgery to be exactly what you needed. I have no idea if it is or if it isn't. But your story sounds a lot like my friend's. I know more surgeries are probably not what you want to hear--but I wanted to tell you her story because hers sounds a LOT like yours.

But please don't take this to go get the surgery. I just wanted to throw this out there. The duodenal switch surgery is extremely serious and requires more vitamins and doctor's visits than all of the other weight loss surgeries out there. So you have to do what you feel is best for your body.

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.

Gastric Sleeve Member Kylady1975's Avatar
    Name
    Tonya
    Surgery date
    11/29/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    07-30-2012 04:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times

Girl im right there with you. I will not do the ds surgery. Everyone I know is in bad health now from it. I will try to work this sleeve or will just stay fat. I will not keep doing surgeries. I learned my lesson with this one. I wish you the best. Im struggling as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast