Surgeon
    Arif Ahmad, M.D.
    Last Activity
    10-28-2012 10:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

Default I mean NO disrespect

Honestly, this is just a question I am asking out of curiousity, and possibly some ignorance. Why does anyone have surgery in Mexico. I am not asking because I don't think it is safe, from everything I have read on here it seems to be very safe. It's just that after just having my surgery 5 days ago, I could not have imagined getting on a bus the day after and driving down bumpy roads to get to recovery house, or hotel. Then, having to either drive a long way home, or get on an aiplane (the thought just makes me shutter). But my biggest concern is the seeming lack of follow up after surgery. Are arrangements made with another doc to take care of your follow up? I work in the healthcare industry and know that doctors do not want to be responsible for follow up on any surgery performed by another physician. What about nutritional visits (I have 2 after surgery, then unlimited access to my nutrionist for 5 years). I really hope this doesn't sound judgemental because it is not. I am truely just concerned if everyone gets the medical attention they need.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/25/2012
    Surgeon
    dr.verboonen
    Last Activity
    09-01-2013 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times

Default Re: I mean NO disrespect

I had surgery in. Mexico because i was self pay. Im a cardiac tech and i had a wonderful experience i stayed in the clinic for two days post op and was taken care of the whole time. My pcp agreed before hand to do my follow up care. And if i need to see a nutrionist my ins will pay for it( go figure). I could not have afforded to have it in the states unless i took out a loan and i wasent willing to do that.

Gastric Sleeve Member brailynsmommy08's Avatar
    Name
    Jackee
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodregiz
    Last Activity
    11-24-2012 10:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I went to Mexico because I can't afford $17000 to have it and it was $6800 in Mexico. I had my surgery at a real hospital and stayed there the entire time. The drive back across the boarder wasn't bad at all and the flight home was actually easy. Gas was the only real issue and thats what gas ex is for and i just took it before each flight and I was fine. We had a 3 hour drive back from the airport and that got a little uncomfortable due to the gas and pain from rushing through the airport but it was manageable and more due to being tired and hungry. As for follow up care you see your primary care doctor or family doctor and they refer you out to a nutritionist or dietician and its up to you to go. My doctor was aware of my surgery and I have gone in each month to measure my progress and to see the nutritionist and I have lost 85 lbs out of the 100 the recommended in 6 months. We chose it due to finances and lack of insurance companies thinking they know what is best for us based off medical records. My doctor fought tooth and nail with my insurance which by the way is military insurance to get me approved and to them I wasn't fat enough, it had nothing to do with my other medical issues all they see is a number and if your not within their standard of fatness then you get kicked to the curb yet they weren't the ones dealing my the pain, headaches or even coming to help me wipe my butt. So I opted to go where i could afford to go and follow up with my doctor as after the car is covered by my insurance as its a regular visit with a referral out for anything special like a barium test or nutritionist which the military will give you a nutritionist before anything else and if I need a barium test she puts me in for one due to stomach issues and its all covered. The funny thing is I had better care there then I would have in the states as with our insurance you stay the day of surgery and you leave the next day as it only covers 1 night in the hospital or you pay to stay in a hotel and it was a 3 hour drive to have it done as thats the only place they allowed it. I had a 3 hour drive and a 3 hour flight and wouldn't change it for the world.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Name
    Robin Benson
    Surgery date
    06/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jacobo Zafrani
    Last Activity
    03-09-2016 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,967 Times

I am having surgery in Costa Rica because my husband's employer will pay for it there. I arrive on June 27, preop stuff on June 28, and surgery on June 29. I will stay in the hospital that night then discharged to a beautiful after care facility at the foot of the mountain for 7 days before I fly back to the states. From everything I've read, the doctors in mexico and my case, Costa Rica, have a higher success rate because they specialize in it. I will have a nurse every day at the recovery villa and they will provide all nutrition. All our laundry will be done and they will provide 3 meals a day for my husband. We will also take a tour or so after I feel up to it. From what I understand from others that I know who have been there, it's a beautiful facility with much better care and concern from the staff than in the US. I can't hardly wait. My surgery that I've longed for plus a vacation with my hubby! All paid for by my husband's employer. Also, we could have went to India to have it done, just chose Costa Rica.

Surgery date
    02/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Aceves
    Last Activity
    02-06-2013 06:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

it comes down to money, and if your paying cash, and mexico is all you can afford then you do what you have to do, i informed my pcp long before i went to mx that I planned on having the surgery out of the country, my surgeon sent me home with all my tests and xrays, a resume with exactly what was done, and what type tests would be needed in the future, and when to give to my doc. I do agree it can be scary should a problem arise, because surgeons dont want to see you after you went to mexico. I guess that has to be a risk your willing to take, i stay in contact with my surgeon from mexico and he is open to speaking with any physicians that have questions about my care. so it has been fine for me. I was really sick for a while when i was recovering, and ill admit i regretted going to mx i thot, WHAT DID I DO TO MYSELF. but i think i would have regretted it just as much had i had it done here, sick is sick, and it sucked! lol im much much much better now, and very happy with my decision, if i wouldnt have went to mexico to have it done, then i wouldnt have been able to do it at all.

[HTML][/HTML]Quitting is NOT an option

Follow My Video Blog http://www.youtube.com/MizCee18

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Robin Benson
    Surgery date
    06/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jacobo Zafrani
    Last Activity
    03-09-2016 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,967 Times

I will have my PCP follow up after I get home. He will be sent my medical records as well as post op instructions. My coordinator from IndUSHealth will provide a nutritionist.

Name
    Buzz
    Surgery date
    06/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Westmoreland
    Last Activity
    04-20-2014 12:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Okay here's the deal. You can read my story above. I'm a week post op. It's all about the money, hidden costs, things they don't tell you going in. It's buyer be ware in the US and dealing with the insurance companies and hospitals.

I had a vampire in my room about an hour after surgey trying to collect money. It is a pitifull look into the US economics and healthcare. All they want is money, to hell with the patient..

As shitty as I felt I don't think I could travel at all, even now it would suck.

Surgery date
    06/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Arif Ahmad, M.D.
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

OK, now I understand. See I knew that there had to be something I was not aware of. I assumed that most insurance companies were finally on track with covering this kind of surgery. I should have known better. Robin, you experience sounds like it will be wonderful. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 174 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 129 Times

I had surgery in Mexico because at 31 BMI I was not obese enough to have my insurance pay, and indeed my insurance has an exclusion prohibiting all WLS regardless of BMI. I was tired of yo-yo dieting and did extensive research before settling on Mexico. My hubby also just had the sleeve in Mexico this week and came home today. I think Americans assume that if it's American it has to be better, and that's just not true. We actually have fairly poor healthcare and high rates of co-morbidity and heart disease compared to the rest of the world, and, of course, we have disproportinately expensive care. Both my husband and I thought we received excellent medical attention in Mexico, and the Mexican WLS surgeons (Almanza, Kelly, Aceves, and a few others) do many more surgeries than U.S. doctors, so they actually have more experience.

In a way, it was also nice because I didn't have to go home that same day or the next; I got to stay and rest before returning home to my kids and house and responsibilities. I could see it being difficult if you had to fly a long ways, but we are within two hours of San Diego, and it wasn't a big deal at all.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Okay here's the deal. You can read my story above. I'm a week post op. It's all about the money, hidden costs, things they don't tell you going in. It's buyer be ware in the US and dealing with the insurance companies and hospitals.

I had a vampire in my room about an hour after surgey trying to collect money. It is a pitifull look into the US economics and healthcare. All they want is money, to hell with the patient..

As shitty as I felt I don't think I could travel at all, even now it would suck.
    AMEN. It's all about money here. I can't believe they were hitting you up for money right after surgery.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

I also want to add that there really isn't a lot of follow-up care you need - lab tests once a year, and you should have those done anyway. U.S. doctors will tell you otherwise because it's all about money - the more you utilize (with post-op visits, etc.), the more you pay. The standard of care is a Pap smear every three to five years, so why do most OBs want you to come in every year? Again, it's because they get paid. A lot of the treatment we do for cancer patients isn't proven effective for their specific cancer, but we put people through it anyway. It's a broken system.

Gastric Sleeve Member Melissa Sleeve's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Lopez Corvala
    Last Activity
    06-13-2013 01:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

HI, well in my case, I am Mexican and had my surgery in Tijuana, I really admire all you guys that came to a different country and had your sleeve, I didn't have any problems, but just thinking about you guys getting out of the hospital, go to a hotel (or recovery house) and then WAIT IN LINE to cross the border and finally take your flight.. WOOOOOOOOW, admire you!! I don't think I could have done all that.

Surgery date
    06/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Arif Ahmad, M.D.
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

I'm glad you had such a great experience grammargirl. My concern was not for the medical care you receive, I have on doubt the Doctors in Mexico are trained just as well as American doctors. It was mainly about the traveling and follow up care. I understand US docs probably have you follow up more than is acutally needed, but we just had major surgery and I would rather be seen too much than not enough.

Melissa, I'm with you. Those who have their surgeries in a different country are definatly better patients than I am because I know I couldn't have handled it!

Gastric Sleeve Member MomtoGBandH's Avatar
    Name
    Susan
    Surgery date
    06/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-14-2014 09:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

I had surgery in Mexico 8 days ago and had a wonderful experience (save for my horrible roommate the first night). I honestly didnt have that much pain (and the only meds we were given for pain were strong anti inflammatory drugs and meds for nausea), the first day was the worst (probably like everyone else) and the next 2 days I felt well enough to do some shopping and walking. We then went back to San Diego (at noon, the lines at the border were huge, but we got into a special line, it only took about 1 hour total) and walked up and down the waterfront probably 1 1/2 miles. I flew home 4 days post op and had no problems at all. I don't feel like I am out of the ordinary for the experience in Mexico either.
    I had my surgery in Mexico because my insurance has an exclusion for WLS for ANY reason. I couldn't afford to pay for the surgery in the US without saving for several years. At 41, I am not getting any younger and I want to enjoy my kids while they are still young.
    It's really not as scary as it initially sounds. I traveled with a group of people and we became great friends and support for each other. There were a few ladies who came alone and we were all able to help each other out.
    Susan

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-21-2013 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Hi, I have Parkinsons and the only surgery that I could have done the hospital here doesn't do, I need a Plication. So I have to pay and the Dr's in Meixco have way more experiance then the US dr'.s on this. I have complete faith that I'm doing the right thing. If something goes wrong so be it. I'm not living a healthy happy life at this weight. I would have jumped through hoops if I could have done it here. It's not the surgery it's the flight that is scaring me. I'm sure I will get hell from the Dr.s here when they find out. Your question was a good one. It is something a lot of people wonder. Michelle