Surgeon
    Dr. Guzman
    Last Activity
    06-27-2012 10:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Thinking about it

I'm really thinking of doing this surgery and am lookingbaround for advice.
    I weigh 100kgs and need to lose 25-20 kgs. I've viven up dieting, too much yo yo effect.
    Want to learn from experiences. Does everyone here recommend havinv this surgery?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member *Lindsey*'s Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Richard Nguyen
    Last Activity
    06-06-2013 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: Thinking about it

Hi There,
    Im not sure if surgery is the right way to go if you only want to lose 50lbs....although I am sure you would be able to find a doctor who is willing to do it. Are you planning on going through insurance? If so, it might be a bit more difficult to get approved unless you have additional health concerns. Totally worth it if you need to lose a significant amount of weight though! Best of luck...Keep us posted
    Cheers,
    Linds

Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    06-10-2013 06:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 93 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times

Linds, will you just come do my eye makeup after surgery LOL!!!! I can NEVER get mine right!

Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    06-10-2013 06:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 93 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times

Oh sorry and by the way - 50 pounds is not much, however at one time 2 years agoIonly had 50 pounds to lose and now I need to lose 100. If you are self pay and insurance is not an issue then I would recommending looking into the life time of changes and commitments required - and judge for yourself where you will be if you dont have it

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guzman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I know that I don't havea that much to lose, but I have tried every conceivable diet and keep going up and down. I am now pre-diabetic, do have some minor heart problems due to the weight...I don't have much will power so when I lose some weight and feel good, just go on binges and eat myself back up! Maybe a lot is anxiety, but that's my life. Do you all feel that the risks are too large? I haven't heard of anyone who has actually had the surgery and has regretted it.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 174 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 129 Times

I had "only" 70 pounds to lose; my BMI was 31. But obese is obese. Stop the problems before they start. I don't regret for one second having the sleeve. I'm not going to lie - there were rough patches in the first couple months, but I feel awesome now, and my hubby is now getting sleeved too.

*Sorry, meat to say "regret." I can see why that would have been confusing. Typing too fast!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guzman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I don't understand - do you recommend it or not? you say you feel good and your husband is going to have the sleeve now too. I realize there have to be rough patches, but I guess it is worth it at the end, noż I see you have lost A LOT, basically I want to be maybe 150lbs - I'm 5,3

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guzman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

are you able to eat normal food now? I realize in small amounts, but can you eat just about evertyhing?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Leiva
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 129 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,220 Times

I WISH I would have had surgery when I had "only" 50 lbs to lose. Then maybe I would not have had almost 100 lbs to lose DO IT if you have the means to make it so! Good luck!!

Gastric Sleeve Member donewithdieting's Avatar
    Name
    Linda Lou
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    05-15-2016 05:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 76 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 711 Times

Yes Yes do this. I was 225# when started, now 178 maybe another 10 to lose. I look great (people also tell me) and feel great. I lost and gained 30# three times in 2010-2011. That was a crazy time. No more. I only gained 1x since last November (due to steroid to get my asthma under control Ugggh). I have to admit I drink too much alcohol. (I think I did a replacement) But continue to get into smaller clothes. Size 12 now. (was a 20 at the start) This is great. Remember you will have restrictions with eating, it just gets easier to do. And this is a lifetime. Many times I can only eat 4 bites of any foods at a time. If I eat more the "slimies" come, and that is no fun. This surgery and incidentals was less than 5,000.00. I paid this instead of the hoops of insurance requirements. GoodLuck

Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

I haven't been on here for quite a while, but this really peaked my interest. I wasn't overweight until I hit my 30's. Until then I could (and did) eat anything. I like eating healthy but also have a sweet tooth and snacked on a lot of junk food. So I dieted for 25 yrs. and ended up at 200 lbs. Loosing weight WAS ALWAYS on my mind. I noticed thinner people all the time and just wished....So when I heard about this surgery I was very interested. I did my research and had my surgery Nov. 8/11. I have lost 70 lbs and am now 130....size 6 - 8. I was happy at 140 and wouldn't mind putting 10 lbs back on (I NEVER DREAMED I WOULD SAY THAT). I am 58 years old and feel great. So this isn't only for people that need to loose a lot of weight. It's to loose the extra weight you have AND keep it off. Know your own heart and you will make the right decision. Good Luck!!!!

Surgery date
    03/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Brett Cohen
    Last Activity
    01-10-2017 07:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6,497 Times
    Blog Entries

I think grammargirl meant to say she doesnt regret for one minute having the surgery. I have a question for those who have had the surgery already and i know everyone has different skin and healing properties, but is sagging skin a factor after surgery and if so what do you recommend? I am 224 and 5'1" and think the sleeve is the best way to go. In May 2011, after dieting I weighed 199 but had gained 34 pounds by March 2012- so tired of the yoyo dieting.

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mzmarie View Post
    I think grammargirl meant to say she doesnt regret for one minute having the surgery. I have a question for those who have had the surgery already and i know everyone has different skin and healing properties, but is sagging skin a factor after surgery and if so what do you recommend? I am 224 and 5'1" and think the sleeve is the best way to go. In May 2011, after dieting I weighed 199 but had gained 34 pounds by March 2012- so tired of the yoyo dieting.
    Sagging skin is individual - age, genetics, having had kids, size at start... they all play a role. Some have good luck with exercising hard, some just have good skin. Look at the elder women in your family, if they are slimmer and have good skin you have a better shot. Also, starting somewhat less large will help you. No one can say if you will have the saggy skin for sure... do keep in mind it takes a good 9 mo after you are done losing weight for your skin to finish "remodeling"...
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Glors27 View Post
    I don't understand - do you recommend it or not? you say you feel good and your husband is going to have the sleeve now too. I realize there have to be rough patches, but I guess it is worth it at the end, noż I see you have lost A LOT, basically I want to be maybe 150lbs - I'm 5,3
    Oh, yes, I definitely recommend it!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by becca72 View Post
    I WISH I would have had surgery when I had "only" 50 lbs to lose. Then maybe I would not have had almost 100 lbs to lose DO IT if you have the means to make it so! Good luck!!
    Yes, exactly; I almost thought of my sleeve as preventative. I was obese, no doubt, but not to the point yet where it was causing health problems. I didn't want to go down that road, and I knew I was heading there without something drastic, a tool!