Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    11-19-2015 07:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default new member considering gastric sleeve

Hi, I never even heard of the gastric sleeve sugery until today. I had Nissesn Fundo sugery in 2006 and the hiatal hernia has opened again so back under the knife I go sometime in April. I've gained weight and have had a difficult time trying to lose (read that as haven't lost) even though I've tried to cut back on eating and have been walking 8-10,000 steps per day. Today my gyn suggested that I talk to my surgeon (Bariatric surgeon who will be performed the hiatal surgery) about having the gastric sleeve surgery done along with the hiatal.

I also have chronic, erosive gastritis so I need to talk with my surgeon about how that would effect any gastro surgery. Make it better or make it worse? He's out of the country right now but will be back next week and I expect to talk with him then.

I just found these forums and have read a little and expect to read more and learn more so I can ask intelligent questions when I talk to my surgeon.

Anyone here have similar background and experience with the sleeve?

Right now I weigh 184 and am 5' 4" tall.

Thanks for any advice..................crlady

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Minnie Mouse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-10-2012 05:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 648 Times
    Was Thanked 206 Times in 125 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 225 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: new member considering gastric sleeve

Crlady, I think it would be a good idea to have the gastric sleeve surgery along with the hernia surgery if the Doctor thinks you would be a good candidate for it. He does specialize in weightloss surgery! When do you ever get that kind of opportunity? The sleeve is less invasive with less complications, and not like the gastric bypass. There's no mal-nutrition issues down the road, no dumping or band slippage. It's also less maintenance. LOL

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times

Thanks, Bonnie. I am seriously considering it. Of course, cost is a factor too so I'll have to talk with him upon his return and find out how much extra cost will be involved. This is all on us, no medical insurance.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr Todd Eibes
    Last Activity
    04-06-2011 07:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times

Thumbs up Re: new member considering gastric sleeve

The docs frequently take out hiatel hernias during this surgery. Also many insurance companies require gastritis as a diagnosis in order for the surgery to be covered by insurance. So you should be good to go. I would definitely wait on the hiatel hernia surgery until you decide on this so you don't have to have two surgeries.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr Todd Eibes
    Last Activity
    04-06-2011 07:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times

I just saw that you don't have medical insurance. If you have Blue Cross & Blue Shield or Wellmark in your area, it might be worth checking with them before checking about the sleeve. My friend just got a policy for $500 per month which was less than she was paying for the drugs she was using for asthma. So it is actually saving her money. She is also now getting a sleeve gastrectomy, one month after she got the policy, and getting all her drug costs paid except a 10% copay. She is so happy she got it.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Rags411 View Post
    I just saw that you don't have medical insurance. If you have Blue Cross & Blue Shield or Wellmark in your area, it might be worth checking with them before checking about the sleeve. My friend just got a policy for $500 per month which was less than she was paying for the drugs she was using for asthma. So it is actually saving her money. She is also now getting a sleeve gastrectomy, one month after she got the policy, and getting all her drug costs paid except a 10% copay. She is so happy she got it.
    Thanks, but I'm in Costa Rica so no Blue Cross, etc. Costs are much lower here than in the States but still..... I see the surgeon on April 7 so will know more then. I'm hoping it won't be more than $1000-$2000 extra (over the cost of the H hernia surgery). If so, I will go for it.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Rags411 View Post
    The docs frequently take out hiatel hernias during this surgery. Also many insurance companies require gastritis as a diagnosis in order for the surgery to be covered by insurance. So you should be good to go. I would definitely wait on the hiatel hernia surgery until you decide on this so you don't have to have two surgeries.
    I just reread this, Rags, are you saying the sleeve may help the chronic gastritis?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times

It's no-go. Talked with my surgeon today and am scheduled for hiatal hernia surgery May 5 BUT no sleeve. He said I'm not a good candidate for the sleeve since I had Nissen Fundo surgery in 2006. Good luck to all , guess I'll be dropping out of this forum.