Last Activity
    07-23-2012 08:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default In the midst of a mishap

Hello Everyone
    I have been responding to posts for a little while now, but today I decided to tell my surgery day story. Please let me say from the beginning, while I had a few unanticipated surprises I am doing well and I still believe I have an excellent surgeon.
    On May 3rd, 2012 I arrived at the hospital at 930 am with every single kind of emotion I could have thought of. My mother went with me, and my husband met us there after taking care of the children. I was taken to the preop holding area at 1030, but without an IV because the preop team had a difficult time with IV access. So the anesthesiologist started an IV for me, gave a little happy juice through the IV and I was off to the OR.
    I woke up in recovery in excrutiating pain, and very fuzzy headed. (not able to see exactly but could hear) this is pretty typical when you first wake up. I was told the surgery was over and the doctor had also repaired a very large abdominal hernia, this was why I was in severe pain. I did anticipate the surgeon repairing the hernia if possible.
    Then things changed quickly. My surgeon rushed to the bedside and said I had to go back to surgery immediately! Remember I couldnt see well but could hear everything. Side BAR: I am also a nurse, so I knew then something was very wrong and thats not what you wanna hear in recovery!
    I said to him, "did you just say we have to go back?" His reply, "yes I left the stomach". I thought to myself, did he just say he left my stomach! Quickly, everyone took action and I was being rushed down the long hall back to surgery with my surgeon at my side reassuring me everything was going to be fine. As horrific as the moment was, everyone was extremely kind and reassuring in my hysteria, and I do mean hysteria!
    I woke up in recovery for the second time with a more controlled sense of pain. The surgeon returned to explain he had left the specimen of my stomach that was removed during surgery and had to go back in to retrieve it. He had been able to find the specimen right where he left it, and did not have to "open" me up. I was beyond thankful for that! The recovery room nurse was diligent in maintaining pain control for me, and after a swallow test over in xray several hours later, I was taken to my room.
    The pain was quite terrible for me, and I did have IV pain meds for 2 days to follow. But I was able to walk the hall within 30 minutes of returning to my room from recovery and every 2 hours after that. My catheter was removed immediately, I had no need for oxygen so it was dc'd and I walked and walked and walked.
    My surgeon came in on Friday morning to speak with me. He was so humble and so kind and very upfront. He explained he was so caught up with the hernia repair as is was the size of a baseball, and that was not what we anticipated that he left the stomach specimen. He apologized emphatically. I knew I was ok even from going through 2 surgeries, and a large abdominal hernia repair and I assured him it was okay. I chose to go home Saturday with the blessings of nurses and doctors.
    Today is day 7 postop. I have a great deal of gassy pain around the rib cage area, and just generally hurt all over the stomach area. I want to go back to work on Monday as my job is primarily at a desk. But, as of today I havent been able to not take some form of pain medicine and I am a bit dissapointed with that. Determined I am though.
    Oh, and as of today I weigh 289, and my starting weight was 307. So this is awesome!
    I tell my story for this reason: I know things happen in healthcare that are not always expected. We all just pray it wont happen to us! But, I was in good hands and had an outstanding healthcare team that took good care of me in the midst of a mishap.I am doing well and remain positive! Blessings to all of you on your journey.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member besquared's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Beth
    Surgery date
    09/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Moeinolmolki
    Last Activity
    11-28-2012 02:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,031 Times

Default Re: In the midst of a mishap

Wow. That was an 'oops!' Glad everything came out okay (pun intended.)

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MaryFromTheD's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    01/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chengelis
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 52 Times

Wow, not THAT's a story you don't hear every day! I admire the surgeon for being up front and telling you what he had done. I also had a hernia repaired and it was painful to say the least. However, on the upside, I no longer have GERD and had been suffering from it for years. Sounds like you're doing well and are on the road to recovery. Best of luck to you and "welcome to the other side:
    Mary

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/03/2012
    Surgeon
    DR.FISZER
    Last Activity
    07-23-2012 08:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Mary I had a small hiatal hernia, but the hernia repair I had was a ventral hernia to the left of my belly button. Unfortunately, I do still have reflux but hopeful it will get better with much anticipated weight loss! Thanks for sharing and best wishes to you!

Gastric Sleeve Member jazziejasmine's Avatar
    Name
    Ann Marie
    Surgery date
    02/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-22-2014 05:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow, thank for sharing your experience. As much as I enjoy the success stories and happy endings, I also like to hear the "true grit" stories that occur.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member agreatknead's Avatar
    Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    06/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-28-2014 08:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

So happy to hear you have such a great attitude, it makes all the difference in your health and healing. Good luck and many blessing on your weight loss journey.
    Sally

Gastric Sleeve Member Kay-Kay0222's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Halmi
    Last Activity
    03-29-2013 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

i am glad u are doing well!! what an amazing story.

Name
    Lynda
    Surgery date
    03/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr. D'Onofrio
    Last Activity
    09-21-2016 12:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 180 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 98 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 100 Times
    Blog Entries

wow, that is one huge mistake to make. So good of you to be understanding of him, and I hope that he doesnt charge you any fees for his service. I wish you all the best for your recovery.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    04-28-2013 01:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Wow!! AMAZING!! I to am an RN. I am hoping to be sleeved by then end of the summer. Hats off to your surgeon! You know as well as I it takes a lot for a doctor to admit they made such a serious error. Thank God he was so fast in taking care of the matter and assuming responsibilty for it. Congrats on your new life and prayers for an uneventful recovery. I work 12 hour night shift in NICU. How much recovery time post op should I plan on? 2, 4, 6 weeks off work?