Surgery date
    05/23/2012
    Last Activity
    06-25-2013 01:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Before Surgery - Me, Diet and all in between.

So I have been thinking about having surgery all my life... a bit far I know, but when your bullied and your only description when people are talking about you, is 'the fat one', you always have the thought at the back of your mind.
    I'm 24 years old and have NEVER been 'thin'. In primary school was the hardest, but as they say, children can be mean. It was only in mid high school when I truly accepted my body - this was when I tried to change my description from 'the fat one' to 'the funny one'.
    I have been on Jenny Craig, Weight watchers, medication, and gym 7 days a week, you name it, I have been there, and in my adult life have never dipped below 90kgs.
    I am currently 125kg-130kgs on average.
    Mid last year (2011) my GP finally suggested that I go and see someone about WLS.
    At this time I was also diagnosed with diabetes insipidus. This is where one part of the brain is not making the amount of hormones it should be. It was a life changing thing, medication everyday, blood tests, MRI's.
    June last year I went to the WLS seminar, and decided that lap banding would be the right course of action for me - as it was reversible and I liked that idea. After taking my time thinking about it and researching the changes I was ready to put my body through, I thought to my self - Lap banding is reversible - but do I want something reversible? Do I want to go through all that to maybe go back to the size I am now in 10 years time; I also didn’t like the idea of something foreign in my body.
    Thus, I have decided to have the sleeve done. My surgery is in 2 weeks. I’m excited and nervous.
    I have been on the optifast diet for exactly one week today and have lost 6 kgs. With this 6kg loss, I have noticed an improvement already. I have cut down my medication BY HALF!! I have way too much energy - I always have to be doing something. I’m hungry, also, but am sticking to the diet as I am seeing the benefit.
    As I said im nervous about the WLS as I am still unsure of how it will go... as I have tried everything already - i'm sceptical about everything weight loss related.
    What size will I be?
    How long will it be for me to enjoy a meal at a restaurant again?
    How much exercise do I have to do?
    I have all of these questions still, but the only thing that can accurately answer them is time.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member MaryFromTheD's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    01/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chengelis
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 52 Times

Default Re: Before Surgery - Me, Diet and all in between.

You have allot of valid questions to address. One thing you will find in this forum is honesty & plenty of support - no matter what you decide. You should make your decision on what works best for you, not anyone else. You can always cancel the surgery if you're still feeling like you need more time to decide.
    Best of luck to you!
    Mary

Gastric Sleeve Member Evie Sleevie's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Eve
    Surgery date
    11/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    07-01-2014 03:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 163 Times
    Was Thanked 152 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 196 Times

Default Re: Before Surgery - Me, Diet and all in between.

I'm happy for you, and I think you are making a great decision with the sleeve! You won't be sorry!!