Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Change it up to break a plateau?? 2 day low carb a week?

I'd hoped I was done trying different things to lose weight but alas, looks like I am having to resort to whatever to get my body back in gear....

Reading a lot lately about the concept of 2 consecutive days of low carb a week and then keeping the rest of the week to limiting calories but not worrying as much about carbs. The thought is that it gets the metabolism moving but doesn't cause "starvation mode" (something that either exists or doesn't depending on which research you do).... I'm hoping this may be what I need to do to be able to push forward as just low carb is simply making me tired now, not energized like it used to. Perhaps this just happens after a long time on low carb? Who knows? But I'm willing to give it a try for a month and report back...

Anyway, I'd post the most recent article but that would be copyright infringement.. it's in First for Women magazine this week if you want to read it. I did find this online article...
    RESEARCH: Do you need to cut carbs just 2 days a week to produce weight-loss results? | The Skinny Code
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member stephintexas's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Mirza
    Last Activity
    05-22-2014 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 127 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 32 Times

Default Re: Change it up to break a plateau?? 2 day low carb a week?

This carb thing is tough for me, too. I have found if I eat certain carbs like honeydew melon, I'm fine. I can even have a thin all grain sandwhich thingie by orowheat in the morning. For me,it's not so much how many carbs a day but rather which ones. And it's not so simple as good carbs vs. bad carbs for me, either. Mushy Bread is my nemesis. Pasta, even whole wheat, is out. Fruit is fine. I'm interested to see how cycling the carbs affects you.

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Ramos-Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

The further out I get, I realize it's the quality of the carbs I eat. I was experimenting and had 100g+ carbs on specific days and had a weight loss. That being said, it's only if I eat certain carbs like steel cut oats, multi-grain tortillas, certain fruits, etc. On those days, I also had 100g protein and a huge amount of water. I only did this once or twice a week and eeked out 8 lbs last month. I've not eaten pasta yet. It's my mortal enemy, since it's a trigger food for me. Good luck Grace, I hope you find that balance....stalls SUCK!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh my goodness! Grace, it's like you were reading my mind (scary place. I told a friend yesterday that I seemed to have lost more weight lately because I'm trying to eat more carbs and a larger variety of food. I still find it hard to eat on lots of days, but once I find a balance, it seems to fall into place. I've added a little more carbs, and like everyone else, I try to eat the healthy carbs. I do have a deli flat w/turkey, lettuce, tomatoes, and mustard some days. I like peanut butter and SF jelly on one slice of multi-grain bread, well toasted and had it for dinner last night. I think it's all trial and error, and we will all find what's good for our new healthy lifestyle going forward after almost a year. I wish you all continued success!

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Shugaplum's Avatar
    Name
    Christine
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. D. Kim
    Last Activity
    08-13-2013 02:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 151 Times
    Blog Entries

I have been doing some research on this as well. I have also tried to add in some carbs, and it hasn't really moved the scale one way or the other. I am on this HUGE stall and I can't seem to shake things up enough to get it going again. I will be very curious how you do. Please keep us updated!

Live life with no regrets...
    Lost 20 on pre=op diet!
    80 lost since surgery...

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 197 Times
    Was Thanked 346 Times in 318 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times
    Blog Entries

Grace, that sounds so much more doable that to cut out carbs all together. You body needs some carbs for energy, but I definitely think mixing things up is a good thing for our bodies. I was always told when our bodies get in a rut, it causes our stalls. I just need to remember all of this stuff when I'm going through it myself!!
    ~~Peggy~~
    Highest weight: 249
    Weight at pre-op: 224
    Weight at surgery: 216

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone! So, I'm noticing you're saying when you are eating carbs you're eating high fiber ones... the whole/multi grain, certain fruit kind... I'll take a page from your book and try to get natural fibers in on the other days. A bit rough for me being gluten free but I have been ok with low carb flax, oat and wheat tortillas (Josephs) so far if it's only a couple a week. Maybe oatmeal would be a good try.
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Name
    Sandie
    Surgery date
    12/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mir B. Ali, M.D.
    Last Activity
    06-24-2014 01:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

i'm really curious to see how this works for you too! i have to be honesty, i haven't been counting my carbs at all, and only focusing on my protein and overall calorie intake...but i am at a stall of sorts and i was just thinking i'll probably have to start paying more attention to carbs it would be GREAT to do carb free for 2 days a week.
    similarly, a friend of mine (who hasn't had WLS of any kind) has started dieting every other day...i thought it was a "cute" idea at first, but it seems to really work for him...so on diet days, he does low carb/high protein/low cal...and on non diet days he doesn't pay a whole lot of attention about what he's eating (he doesn't gorge or anything tho)...i think these are really good ways to keep your body and metabolism guessing!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

That is interesting! I feel very weak and icky on a low carb diet, but i do have very low carb days. Most of the time, I am eating "moderate carbs" in the 50-80 total per day. I think this is an interesting strategy to try, thanks for posting.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 08:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 186 Times in 173 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 301 Times

I haven't worried too much about carbs. I don't go crazy with them, but I've been known to have some pasta from time to time. The key for me is limiting the processed carbs. I rarely eat bread or pasta, but I will have a potato or fruit. As long as I'm meeting my protein goals and staying under my calorie limit, I don't really worry about carbs other than to focus on simple, unprocessed.

Name
    Santy
    Surgeon
    John Baxter
    Last Activity
    06-14-2017 01:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 129 Times
    Blog Entries

Funny you should bring this up Grace as I have been reading about two days with no carbs! To my mind this is so much easier than counting carbs etc and at my next (and first!) stall I will give it a try. Interesting concept either way, keep us posted and good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member MaryFromTheD's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    01/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chengelis
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 52 Times

Reading a lot lately about the concept of 2 consecutive days of low carb a week and then keeping the rest of the week to limiting calories but not worrying as much about carbs.
    Hi Grace,
    I think this sounds like exactly what I've been looking for! I've trying to keep low carb every day but it seems to backfire - the weight loss stalls and I'm left frustrated. Thanks for posting!
    Mary

Gastric Sleeve Member deesleeve's Avatar
    Name
    Dee
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Tavakkoli
    Last Activity
    07-20-2017 03:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting! I am at a stall as well! I have introduced some carbs back into my diet and I am 99.9% sure that is the culprit for the stall!! I need to get back on track and FOCUS!

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Blog Entries

Okay. Week 1 progress check in - I dropped 2.2 lbs this week, after a 6 wk stall!
    I chose Tues and Wed as my low carb days...Went like this nutrition wise:
    Monday 1150 cal 95 pro 55 carbs 53 fat
    Tuesday 905 cal 93 pro 22 carbs 50 fat
    Wednesday 927 cal 105 pro 20 carbs 55 fat

Thursday woke up to 2 lbs gone 1235 cal 75 pro 112 carbs 45 fat
    Friday down .2 1235 cal 85 pro 103 carbs 57 fat
    Saturday 1200cal 75pro 94carb 60fat
    Sun 1050 cal 85 pro 75 carb 45 fat
    Scale didn't change from Fri-Monday.
    So it looks like it's a matter of losing for the 2 days and then letting it settle.
    The days I didn't do low carb I really listened to my body and ate what it wanted in small quantities, even ice cream.
    I can honestly say the end of Wednesday was tough but knowing I could eat more carbs on Thursday got me through.

On to week two, lets see if it keeps working!

Gastric Sleeve Member MaryFromTheD's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    01/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chengelis
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 52 Times

Grace, Thanks so much for sharing ~ I totally appreciate the progress post. Keep up the good work & keep on losing!
    Mary