I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lomenzo
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

Lightbulb For Sleevers 6 Months Out and Up -- Does the loss slow down SEVERELY?

Hi all,

I'm coming up on my 6 month surgery milestone. 62 pounds down makes me feel pretty good. I hope to shed a few more pounds by May 1st (original goal for 6 months out was 72 down, but I am still very please with what I've done so far).

My question is... after 6 months, have you noticed if your loss has slowed down significantly? Do you feel you have increased stalls?

I recently finally succumbed to the 5 day pouch test after a 4 week stall (it was the first one I've had, so I can't complain about going a little over 4 months without one), and I have to say it really helped. It opened my eyes to just how much I was snacking (even tho it was things like light popcorn and even beef jerky, it was still WAY too often), and helped me shed about 4 pounds (I just finished day 5 yesterday). I am just wondering if anyone noticed any significant changes once you hit 6 months out. Thanks!
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

Pre-Op Diet: Didn't lose any weight!
    Morning of surgery: 2 2 0

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Shugaplum's Avatar
    Name
    Christine
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. D. Kim
    Last Activity
    08-13-2013 02:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 151 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: For Sleevers 6 Months Out and Up -- Does the loss slow down SEVERELY?

I am at 5.5 months out and I have slowed alot. I even called the nutritionist to ask for suggestions. He said in general women tend to have a big stall right around the 6 month mark, and the 200 pound mark. I am currently at both marks! lucky me... He suggested up-ing the protein and doing something out of the norm as far as exercise. Shock the body out of the stall. Do exercises that you may not normally do...I have lost 2 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Any loss is a good loss, but the pounds are coming off much slower! Lets keep our eyes on the prize!!! Good luck!

Live life with no regrets...
    Lost 20 on pre=op diet!
    80 lost since surgery...

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member michelleb's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    09/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aceves
    Last Activity
    06-12-2016 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 537 Times
    Was Thanked 572 Times in 521 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,488 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: For Sleevers 6 Months Out and Up -- Does the loss slow down SEVERELY?

I'm 7 months out and yes, I've slowed a lot. Yesterday I went back to basics hoping to knock the last 10 lbs out!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 9 months out and it's getting harder and harder to lose as quickly as I'd like. I think it's because I'm eating a little more as far as portions, choices of food, and just my body getting used to the weight. I've "switched" up the type of exercise I'm doing in hopes that might help a little. I'm not complaining because some people are saying I'm getting too skinny.lol... imagine that. I don't think I'm getting too skinny, but I also know I have begun to "obsess" about food once again. In the days that I was pre-op, I used to obsess about what not to eat or what I wanted to eat. Post-op I began to just plan and eat those foods, now I'm starting to have more "food thoughts" and I'm trying to get over the old habit coming back. I think as life progresses into a more "normal" state, the mind reverts back to old habits and as long as we're aware of them, we can modify them before they get out of control.
    I wish you continued success and thanks for sharing!

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

I think weightloss always slow down after a while no matter what. The body just gets used to whatever we have been doing. I like your NUT's suggestion to shock the system. I also notice I am able to eat more. I have to make sure I journal my food intake. Snacking is definitely the downfall of a sleever since it doesn't stop us from eating small amount all day long.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Kay Black's Avatar
    Name
    Kay Black
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aaron Cernero
    Last Activity
    04-04-2013 06:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 70 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm at 8 months out and yes, there is a slow down process. I did the 5 day pouch test last week, and feel like I am totally back on track! I've lost 12 pounds in the past 2 weeks! WHOO HOO ME!!!!! I had gotten sloppy with my food, making some wrong choices, gotten back into the snacking things .... Since 4/9 I have written down my food. Back to doing right things!!!

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lomenzo
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

I expected some major slow down at some point, I just wasn't sure if it was after 6 months or closer to being a year out from surgery. We all just need to keep rockin' our sleeves and doing the right thing for our bodies and health! My surgeon's goal for me was to lose 120 pounds total, but I will be satisfied with a toned body and comfortable size 6 pants REGARDLESS of what the number on the scale is after a year! Good luck to all!
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

Pre-Op Diet: Didn't lose any weight!
    Morning of surgery: 2 2 0

Gastric Sleeve Member Sara Sackman's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/06/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kurt
    Last Activity
    05-17-2013 10:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

i've stalled out as well. the funny thing is, the stall happened when I added walking 5 miles a day! Which seems silly to me. I may do the 5 day pouch test soon to see if i can kick start things again.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Patching
    Last Activity
    01-20-2014 09:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 62 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

You bet! The closer you get to a more normal body weight the slower the loss will be. You have to kick up the exercise and lower the calories the closer you get. Notice the difference in your resting metobilic rate (BMR)? My BMR dropped 240 calories since I've lost weight to date. That means I have to consume 240 less calories to maintain at my current weight or kick up the exercise to burn 240 calories more every day. Then I have to burn 3,500 more calories than I consume before I can lose a pound. The fact is the smaller you become the less calories you can consume unless you exchange the calories for exercise. You can check you BMR here and compare what you use to be to what you are today. Weight loss is math. BMR Calculator Don't be discouraged but it gets harder to lose the closer you get to goal. Wouldn't it be nice if the weight fell off like it did in the beginning?

Name
    Twyla
    Surgery date
    08/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-21-2017 11:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 94 Times
    Was Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,153 Times

I'm 8 months out and have slowed very very much. I did the 5 DPT a few weeks back and it helped me start losing again. I've got to get my exercise up as I know that will help too. All the best with your journey!

SMILE!! It makes people wonder what you're up to!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Her Moojesty
    Surgery date
    11/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-24-2012 08:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm only 5 months out, and I have been stalled for over a month now! I haven't lost more than a pound or two in a month. And, I can easily again a pound or more back if I eat more than one small meal a day. I must need absolutely minimal calories, almost none to maintain my current weight, even though I exercise all I am able to with a heart valve problem. ( I can't get my heart rate over 111 bpm, sez the Cardiologist.) But I go to the gym and ride the bike at least 10 miles, I lift for my arms and I do leg exercises too. I eat VERY little, and most of the calories I get are from eating protein shakes and stuff that is necessary. I think I am DONE losing, even though it has only been about 48 pounds, total loss. I'm pretty bummed, as you can imagine. My question is, What is the 5 day pouch test? People have referred to it here, and I wonder if it is something I could do to kick start a bit more loss. Can somebody please comment on that? I can't "Ask my doctor" because he is in Mexico! My local Gastroenterologist doesn't want to get involved with 'somebody else's surgery', he actually said that to me! And my regular Internist is trying to be helpful, but I am his only weight loss patient and he admittedly knows very little about the after care. I have lost a lot of inches, and I am eternally grateful for that, but I still want to get back to normal weight, because I am still pretty chunky at 187 lbs. and 5'8" tall. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    Her Moojesty

Name
    Rhonda
    Surgery date
    11/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia Govea
    Last Activity
    11-30-2014 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 99 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 81 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

can someone tell me what the 5 day pouch test is please.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr kim
    Last Activity
    11-30-2014 07:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I'm stalling too. I may do the 5 day pouch test. I need to lose about 30 more lbs!! So flustering!!

Surgery date
    12/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Wilkenfeld
    Last Activity
    01-25-2015 01:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Im with Ronnie! What is a pouch test? Im almost 4 months out and ive never heard of the pouch test!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2014 12:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

What is the 5 day pouch test?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast