Surgeon
    Dr. Mandelbaum
    Last Activity
    07-24-2013 10:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Lessons from a 6-month Sleever

I feel like I could be the poster child for GSV. There are no words to express the happiness I have found in my weight loss journey, but it goes without saying that there is some real heartache involved, too, when you experience such life changing events. Here's a little of what I've learned in the last 6 months:

First - portion control is EVERYTHING! I use small dishes and kid-size spoons to eat nearly everything. If I go out to eat I preportion the food BEFORE I start eating. It is so easy to eat too much. Save yourself the discomfort of being too full and preportion your food.

Second - do NOT - I REPEAT - do NOT weigh yourself more than once a week. You are setting yourself up to fail if you do.

Third - whatever the habits or mental reasons were that caused you to be obese in the first place are STILL going to be there AFTER surgery. See a shrink, write in a journal, talk to a friend, read inspiring blogs, or whatever it takes to figure out what got you to the point you were at and make permanent changes so you don't find yourself back there! I love what a previous poster said about yesterday was yesterday, so don't beat yourself up. Pick yourself up on this NEW day and be about the business of getting and staying healthy.

Fourth - lose weight for YOURSELF... enuf said! ~wink~

Fifth - this is not a sprint, it is a marathon. If you are doing what your physician has counseled you to do, the weight WILL come off. Stalls happen, but just keep doing what you know you are supposed to do. I've been through several stalls, but changed up my exercise, intake of water, re-evaluated my food, etc., but never lost focus of what the big picture was.

I was beyond scared to have GSV, but did a lot of research on my own, talked to my doctor at length at the weight loss center, and read lots of posts on here. This is the best thing I've ever done for myself. This is a SERIOUS, life-changing, procedure, and should only be undertaken if you are SERIOUS about losing weight and are ready to commit to changing you lifestyle.

Best to all!
    Darli

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member workinprogress1962's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Frenzel
    Last Activity
    07-10-2013 10:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 281 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lessons from a 6-month Sleever

amen!

Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 08:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 186 Times in 173 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 301 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DarliKay View Post
    I feel like I could be the poster child for GSV. There are no words to express the happiness I have found in my weight loss journey, but it goes without saying that there is some real heartache involved, too, when you experience such life changing events. Here's a little of what I've learned in the last 6 months:

First - portion control is EVERYTHING! I use small dishes and kid-size spoons to eat nearly everything. If I go out to eat I preportion the food BEFORE I start eating. It is so easy to eat too much. Save yourself the discomfort of being too full and preportion your food.

Second - do NOT - I REPEAT - do NOT weigh yourself more than once a week. You are setting yourself up to fail if you do.

Third - whatever the habits or mental reasons were that caused you to be obese in the first place are STILL going to be there AFTER surgery. See a shrink, write in a journal, talk to a friend, read inspiring blogs, or whatever it takes to figure out what got you to the point you were at and make permanent changes so you don't find yourself back there! I love what a previous poster said about yesterday was yesterday, so don't beat yourself up. Pick yourself up on this NEW day and be about the business of getting and staying healthy.

Fourth - lose weight for YOURSELF... enuf said! ~wink~

Fifth - this is not a sprint, it is a marathon. If you are doing what your physician has counseled you to do, the weight WILL come off. Stalls happen, but just keep doing what you know you are supposed to do. I've been through several stalls, but changed up my exercise, intake of water, re-evaluated my food, etc., but never lost focus of what the big picture was.

I was beyond scared to have GSV, but did a lot of research on my own, talked to my doctor at length at the weight loss center, and read lots of posts on here. This is the best thing I've ever done for myself. This is a SERIOUS, life-changing, procedure, and should only be undertaken if you are SERIOUS about losing weight and are ready to commit to changing you lifestyle.

Best to all!
    Darli
    HAHAHA I just did a very similar post! ..and I agree completely!

Gastric Sleeve Member BraelynsGrammy's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Monk
    Last Activity
    03-31-2015 06:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 244 Times
    Was Thanked 137 Times in 126 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Smile Re: Lessons from a 6-month Sleever

Great post! Very well said!

I have to admit I have the scale addiction. I weigh every morning. My husband is threatening to throw it out. I don't want him to but something inside is telling me to. I was going to take it to my Mom's house who I visit once a week. Maybe I will do that!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Irgau, CHRIAS, Newark, DE
    Last Activity
    03-07-2013 11:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BraelynsGrammy View Post
    Great post! Very well said!

I have to admit I have the scale addiction. I weigh every morning. My husband is threatening to throw it out. I don't want him to but something inside is telling me to. I was going to take it to my Mom's house who I visit once a week. Maybe I will do that!
    That's what I did, BraelynsGranny - I weigh in every Tuesday (yes, that would be today!) when I visit my parents.

Great advice and post, DarliKay! You are doing great!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 08:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 186 Times in 173 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 301 Times

I'm a scale addict myself. The first 6 weeks I did really great and only weighed myself once a week. ..then I bought a scale! Bad bad me! I force myself to skip it from time to time, and I'm hoping to break that habit, but it's so easy since it's right there in my room.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Irgau, CHRIAS, Newark, DE
    Last Activity
    03-07-2013 11:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times
    Blog Entries

Gwyn, throw away that scale!!

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Laura
    Last Activity
    10-15-2013 05:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Thank you DarliKay! Whenever I talk to my friends and family about having the surgery I always say "I'm less concerned about the # on the scale than how my clothes fit" but of course there is a part of me that definitely wants to see myself reach that magical goal weight number. This is a good reminder that it's not about a number on the scale but about being healthy, which is what my goal is