Surgeon
    Dr. Donald Davenport
    Last Activity
    12-29-2012 02:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Hair Loss

I had my gastric sleeve surgery on November 14, 2011. It's been about 4.5 months since my surgery and I'm just now starting to have hair loss. Luckily I have thick and tons of hair and can't even notice it yet. I've heard it's normal but what is the real reason we lose hair? When will it stop?

Also is it ok to color my hair since I've been reading that hair loss is because of systemic reasons? I don't want to make my situation worse.

Any recommendations to help stop the hair loss? Is it ok to also use a flat iron to straighten my hair?

Someone please guide me in the right direction

Laborscrubnurse =0)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

Default Re: Hair Loss

I have read it is because not enough protein and needing to take Biotin. If you were low in pritein about 3 months ago, it will show up in hair loss now. It will come back in too

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

Gastric Sleeve Member sundevilaz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/25/2012
    Last Activity
    05-23-2012 04:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Biotin, Zinc, Sellinum, Protein, Collagen tablets..vit C..get some high quality anti-thining hair Tonic/Shampo from Pharmacy

Gastric Sleeve Member Shoppingbeemom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-22-2013 04:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 123 Times

I got sick on biotein every time. I started taking calcium and my hair stopped falling out. A lot of people feel it is due to the surgery, why the hair falls out. I tend to lean that way myself. I haven't heard of someone telling us they are loosing hair at 9 months out. Best wishes

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    02/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Leblanc
    Last Activity
    07-11-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times
    Blog Entries

It is my understanding that we are not taking in enough protein to support ourselves and make hair. Hair is keratinized protein. As to coloring and flat ironing your hair. Once the hair emerges from the folicle there is nothing that will make it fall out faster. Coloring only coats the hair shaft it does not change anything inside the hair folicle. Coloring may make the hair you have apprear thicker as it swells the hair shaft and gives the strand of hair more body. I would be careful not to go tooo dark as that will make your scalp show more. If you are careful not to set the heat too high on your flat iron it should not damage the hair you have. I would definitely use a good conditioner and shampoo. My stylist says that everyone she sees that loses hair due to WLS has their hair come back thick and healthy. Good luck.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Tabby
    Surgery date
    11/21/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Kim
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 07:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times

We had surgery about the same time and I am having the same issue. I just went for my follow up and I am low on iron too. The doc said that could also cause the hair loss. But he also said, "Don't be alarmed. It's very typical between 4-6 month window to experience hair loss." So, I figure I will just have to deal with it too. It will stop eventually. In the mean time, I will take more iron, biotin and protein in. He did say to get some of that shampoo with Keratin in it too. It will all work out Hang in there!

Name
    Sandie
    Surgery date
    12/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mir B. Ali, M.D.
    Last Activity
    06-24-2014 01:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

i was just wondering the same thing this morning...thanks for posting this! and thanks for all the responses i was gettin kinda nervous
    i've been doing the brazilian blow out, and i also use WEN conditioning shampoo, and my hair actually looks fuller (but the handfuls of hair when i'm in the shower are still making me freak a little hahaha!).

Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Ramos-Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Hair loss is primarily caused by the anesthesia and the shock of the surgery. I've had 3 surgeries in my life and lost hair each time. All the vitamins and protein will help with the re-growth of your hair. Don't stress over it, but do take your vitamins and get all of your protein and the loss will stop soon and grow back. Good luck.

Name
    Diana Walker
    Surgery date
    11/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-01-2017 11:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi! I was sleeved 11/17/11 and have been having hair loss for about the past 2 months now. I went to my Internist (no connection to the WLS) and had some blood work done (he was thrilled that I'd lost so much weight and that I was, in his words, brave enough to go the surgery route), then I went to see a dermatologist. All the above answers are partially correct...surgery shock affects hair loss, low iron affects hair loss, not enough protein affects hair loss, low thyroid affects hair loss, testosterone levels can affect hair loss, even Lupus can affect hair loss. The Dermatologist had me do some additional blood work and the results aren't back yet but he said "keep taking your iron, keep taking your Biotin (can take up to 5000mcg./day), consume as much protein as you can, be gentle with your hair and it will eventually get better. He also said everyone loses upwards of 100 hairs per day so we're not that far off from the "norm" we just notice it more because we were told to "expect" it. And we all know that hair grows in cycles...some are growing while others are "resting". He said that the new hair that comes in will actually have a thicker shaft and that part of the "thin" look is because the hair shaft thinned due to all of the above reasons. I wear my hair long so it looks kinda' funky where the new shorter hairs are growing in...I look like I stuck my finger in an electricl socket...all those shorter hairs seem to stand straight up! Look at it this way...what a minor trade-off for all of the fabulous benefits and better health we all have because of our sleeves! I feel so blessed...our hair loss could be from cancer and chemo you know!
    ChaiDi

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member heidilacy's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    10-12-2017 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 60 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

I am in the same boat & had a late November surgery the amount of hair that comes out in the shower and miLdly freak and when it's drying same thing I have been trying to load up on everything possible with already thin have I begged husband to let me get extensions put
    In until it starts to regrow and he said sure so by next week I will have longer fuller hair but only due to intervention fr some micro bead extensions ;0)

Name
    Chris
    Surgery date
    02/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hawasli
    Last Activity
    11-15-2018 11:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

I was sleeved in February so at least it will be warm when I lose mine. I have always said my hair is my best feature. Oh joy, I can't wait.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Her Moojesty
    Surgery date
    11/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-24-2012 08:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lucky for you guys that have nice, thick hair. Mine is fine and straight, natural blonde hair. Like baby hair. When mine falls out, I MISS it. Almost 5 months out and noticing that ball of hair in the sink after i comb out from the shower. Oh well.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/03/2011
    Last Activity
    01-20-2013 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 37 Times
    Blog Entries

It's lack of protein and other vitamins. Hairdresser monitors my hair every 4 weeks. She recommends biotin, you can get at any drug store. I have had little loss other than regular and I am just about to be at 5 months, if that gives you any indication of how far along I am.
    For the lady getting the Brazilian Blow Out, if you are having hair loss, I would temporarily suspend getting anymore.
    My hairdresser would not allow me to have one, knowing about my surgery and the type of color she uses on my hair currently. The anesthesia will make hair you currently have get coarse and split ends. That can take at least 3 months to get out of your system. In fact, mine was so bad, we had to cut off 3 inches. If you have a regular hairdresser, she should be able to tell by feeling your hair if it is anesthesia. I take a pic of my hairbrush contents to her every 4 weeks so she can let me know if there is an issue. She has been doing my hair for 10 years so I trust her knowing my hair and what it should be like.

Surgery date
    10/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Camilo Pachon
    Last Activity
    01-20-2014 01:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I am very glad to read this thread! Thanks everyone for posting!

Gastric Sleeve Member tessa_ellis's Avatar
    Name
    Tessa
    Surgery date
    11/21/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Trace Curry
    Last Activity
    09-03-2013 03:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

I've had ALOT of hair loss, and I had curly thick full hair. I am having to wear it straight, and at the top its noticeably thin. Im washing it less, because with every wash I pull out handfuls of hair. I have had alot of complications and anesthesia, so Dr. says this can also cause alot of stress on body. My protein levels have stayed up because I was on TPN through IV for Nutrients until a leak healed, so mine is more from Stress of Sickness. Finally feeling better, so hoping I start regrowing some hair ! UGH Worst thing ever ! But 80 lbs lost in 4 months is almost worth losing my hair LOL