Surgeon
    Dr. Terracina
    Last Activity
    09-05-2012 12:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 67 Times

Thumbs down Hair loss??

Sooo I had my first dietician appt today at the office of the doctor thats going to do my sleeve today> i have to do 6 months worth ( just once a month ) for the next 6 months so my insurance will cover it, but today we were talking about all of these vitamins etc i would have to take for the rest of my life and she was saying i could take biotin as well to help with hair loss and i was like hold on hair loss???? i never heard anyone on here say anything about it so it was kinda a surprise! considering i read like all the threads on here that i can haha.. but anyways, has anyone had hair loss issues???

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Nana Renan's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/10/2011
    Last Activity
    08-07-2011 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 277 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

Default Re: Hair loss??

First off -- let me state, its not uncommon to have hair loss after general anesthesia. I have always had some significant loss following every surgery all the way back to my tonsillectomy in 1982!!!!

But secondly, its not quite as big of a problem for Sleeved patients as it is for Gastric Bypass. Its linked to the malabsorption issues from "bypassing" all those feet of intestines. Essentially, their food doesn't stay in them long enough to get all the benefits and nutrients. So, since the Sleeve surgery doesn't alter your intestines, it shouldn't be as significant.

(Trust me, I've researched it thoroughly, since my hair is knee-length and I won't cut it.)

But she's right about Biotin. I was taking GNC's formula for Hair and Nails with 2000 mcg of Biotin, but noticed while standing in line the other day that Walgreen's has one in their label that has 3000.

Lap-Band removed and revised to Sleeve on 2/10/11

Name
    Tammy
    Surgery date
    11/08/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    04-19-2013 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 323 Times in 161 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 246 Times

I have just hit my 4 month mark and I am having a little bit of hair loss but I did expect that so it isn't a surprise at all. Hair loss happens with rapid weight loss but it does grow back. I have read on other posts that it generally startst to happen between 3-4 months after surgery. The only thing that I take in regards to vitamins is a good multi-vitamin and I take a B12 sublingual. That is it. No huge vitamin regiment.....Hope that helps

Name
    Jennifer M
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Terracina
    Last Activity
    09-05-2012 12:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 67 Times

oh awesome thank you a lot!! there is so many confusing things that im wondering about. i think im starting to scare myself, i always say im going to do something and then i dont. so im praying i really go through with this surgery. its kinda stressful though, my husbands in the military, hes supposed to reenlist in june, which stresses me even more because hes really supposed to pick another duty station due to the fact where we are now is shutting down in 2012, but we're trying to hang in here as long as we can for my surgery lol!!! i was thinking bout taking 2 weeks off of work do you think thats enough time? ... and i think im just worried about not being able to eat what i want when i want.. i think thats going to be my major issue...the hair thing you know the more i think about it, i have crohns disease, and i have really thin hair to begin with lol, maybe thats why!! ... i was kinda worried when i went to the dietician today cuz she seemed surprised when i said i had crohns but i had put it on my paperwork when i actually started the whole process at the begining of last month.. hopefully since it has nothing to do with rerouting my intestines they'll be ok with the sleeve.... oh, and it makes me nervous as well because i hear about people being really nauseated when they come out of the surgery, and i am for sure, going to be one of those people, lol, i remember the only other time i came out of anethesia, i puked my guts out LOL

Name
    Tammy
    Surgery date
    11/08/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    04-19-2013 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 323 Times in 161 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 246 Times

The nausea meds that I had in my IV were awesome. i didn't have any nausea at all. You will do wonderful.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Rachel
    Surgery date
    02/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nirav Naik
    Last Activity
    04-22-2013 02:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I had my sleeve on Feb 15, 2 weeks ago today. I had a lot of nausea, but it was from the morphine. Once they switched me to something else and increased the anti-nausea meds, I was a different person. Tell the doctor and anesthesiologist when they come to talk to you right before surgery that you have a history of nausea and vomitting after you come out.

As far as the hair loss, when I lost weight (75 pounds) a few years ago I started to have some hair loss. It started once I lost about 30 pounds. It was temporary and not too bad.

Here is some info that I found from a CNN News site with info provided by the Mayo Clinic:

"Telogen effluvium. This type of hair loss is usually due to a change in your normal hair cycle. It may occur when some type of shock to your system — emotional or physical — causes hair roots to be pushed prematurely into the resting state. The affected growing hairs from these hair roots fall out. In a month or two, the hair follicles become active again and new hair starts to grow. Telogen effluvium may follow emotional distress, such as a death in the family or a physiological stress, such as a high fever, sudden or excessive weight loss, extreme diets, nutritional deficiencies, surgery, or metabolic disturbances. Hair typically grows back once the condition that caused it corrects itself, but it usually take months.

I hope that helps. Don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you want to your doctor or to the group, it makes for a more informed choice.
    -Rachel

Gastric Sleeve Member sandyfromoz's Avatar
    Name
    sandyfromoz
    Surgery date
    02/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Budak
    Last Activity
    01-18-2020 08:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6,066 Times
    Was Thanked 663 Times in 363 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 468 Times

Protein intake is important too but the absolute best thing you could possibly do is take A good regular dose of GSF otherwise known as US,(as in right here on the Gastric Sleeve Forum). hee hee hee.
    Stress less and slow down. All your questions will be answered in time. Keep doing your research ,hang out with us and soon you will be answering new comers asking these exact questions.
    Like tammy73 said, I also had some great anti nausea meds. Never had even a touch. Everything will full into place an like I said, we are all here for each other.
    Hugs from Sandy
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

11. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/10/2011
    Last Activity
    04-22-2012 03:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 338 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 90 Times

There is sometimes still confusion among even medical professionals about the side effects of the gastric sleeve. My doctor told me that they originally thought there would be malabsorbtion with the sleeve, but studies have shown there is none. That is part of the "mystery" of how the sleeve works, because the bypass does rely upon malabsorbtion to help with weight loss.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Mandlebaum
    Last Activity
    02-19-2012 04:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 121 Times
    Was Thanked 150 Times in 81 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 129 Times

Yesterday, makes my one week anniversary from being sleeved. As part of my program, I have to have make sure that i get every day, complete multi-vitamin (Chewable right now) twice a day, chewable calcium 1500-2000 mg/day, Vitamin B-12 500 mcg everyday, or 1000mcg every other, and iron 18-27 mg ferrous fumarate (only because I am still having a cycle) ALL chewables for the first month, then can be in pill form after that. Even though you are taking in protein, you are still eating so little. You are not getting enough nutrients, since your are eating so little.

Surgery Date: 2/23/11

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tersigni
    Last Activity
    11-09-2013 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 76 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 192 Times

I haven't been sleeved yet (little over a week) but the only thing I'd add to what others have mentioned is that my surgeon suggests three supplements for preventing hair loss. Temporary or not, I'm with you. I'd rather not go there if at all possible. Just in case it works, I've already started them: Flaxseed oil 2000 mg., selenium 200 mcg. and biotin (I'm taking 2500 mcg. but whatever gives 100% of the daily recommended amount probably is all that matters.) The last two may be in your multi, or especially your bariatric vitamins as soon as they can be swallowed, so they may not be needed after that. All are available at Walmart, and I've researched them. They are supposed to be essential nutrients for preventing hair loss. And getting all the protein in is critical also! I'm doing what I can to keep my hair but when push comes to shove, I'll take temporary BALDNESS over continued obesity any day...we're gonna be just fine! And so much happier!!!
    - Peggy

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member GoofySpice's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Last Activity
    09-17-2014 03:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 173 Times in 90 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 85 Times

I also think they make a shampoo with biotin. So you could defend the problem inside and out!!!
    You would probably have to find it at a health foods store versus a grocery store.

***weight loss ticker also includes 23 lbs lost before surgery***

I am still a member of the clean plate club only now my plate is much smaller

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tersigni
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times

I think you're right - my surgeon's booklet recommended Nioxin (I think) and it's available at our WalMart in the salon. I checked it out and was unwilling to pay $42 for a bottle of scalp treatment (they have a whole line but only the scalp treatment and shampoo were recommended.) When I read the label, it said users had "the perception" of thicker hair or something like that. I went to the regular shampoo section and bought some Pantene "volume" from their color line and it gives the perception already for a lot less. I also read that biotin works from the inside but not really from the outside.
    - Peggy

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    12/20/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas Lavin
    Last Activity
    05-18-2012 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 139 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

I am almost 3 months out and just started having hair loss thankfully I have a lot of hair. Sadly, it is falling out in clumps!! I am going to go tomorrow and buy the supplements everyone mentioned and hopefully that will help. If not I hope it will only be temporary!! Thanks everyone for the info! Y'all are great as usual!!

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tersigni
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times

Oh Heather, I'm sorry you're going through hair loss. I think that of all the things to worry about, I'm most afraid of losing my hair. But EVERYthing I've read says it is temporary. Getting in all the protein plus taking the supplements is the best defense we have but as others have shared, it is very often unavoidable. Hang in there. You are beautiful enough to pull it off - and it will get better! Think temporary! Big hugs!!
    - Peggy

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    12/20/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas Lavin
    Last Activity
    05-18-2012 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 139 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

Peggy thanks so much for the encouragement! I am trying to be positive, I agree all that I have read says it onlylasts for a few months. I do supplement protein and take a ton of vitamins, guess it is unavoidable! Glad my husband loves a woman in a ballcap!! Lol going to go when I get off work to get the other supplements listed and try them, will do anything at this point! Thanks again... Hugs right back at ya!

27. Said thanks: