Dr Aaron Cernero
    Last Activity
    04-04-2013 06:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 70 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Hungry

What is wrong with me ... I've been hungry ALL day, and it doesn't matter what I eat, it's not satisfying to me, and I'm still hungry! I've eaten ALL the wrong things today! HELP!!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    11-13-2012 01:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default Re: Hungry

Sorry to hear that you have been suffering!! I have the same problem at times!! Here are a few possible reasons why - Stress, pregnancy, just about to get your period,emotional issues, boredom, loneliness, fear, anger and frustration. The list goes on!! Take a few deep breaths, run a bath with bubbles and music, spend a good 20 minutes tensing and relaxing every part if your body then have a good think about what has been going on in you life to cause this. Even the smallest things can really be irritating!! Hope this helps

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Kay,
    We were sleeved 4 days apart and I'm having the same trouble lately. I keep having to stop myself from just mindlessly eating. Feels like the magic hunger mojo from the sleeve is gone. And then I really thought about it and really dug deep to realize I am not body hungry. I am mind/soul hungry and by habit am trying to fill the spot with food. Hoping it's a phase, our brains trying to trick us back into mindless eating. Well, BACK OFF BRAIN is what I want to say.
    Drink water. It's the only thing that seems to work for me. I know it sounds crazy but it's working. Not sf drinks, not even tea. Plain old water.
    Oh and make sure you are taking all your vitamins. The other time we get weird hungry is when our bodies are trying to tell us we need some nutrient and we just don't get the message right....
    We just need to push through this and keep our sleeves on track until it passes....
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member Kay Black's Avatar
    Name
    Kay Black
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aaron Cernero
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks ya'll! You are both so correct!

I've always been an emotional eater ... several issues going on right now, I thought I was handling things better than I maybe am.

Grace, I know I am not physically hungry, my mind is playing that old trick on meJust because the surgery tells you you should not be hungry ... the mind is certainly a trick player. It's still a mental adjustment! I also think I need to log my food, to make sure I am eating enough protein's too. . I do drink pretty much only water, Coffee first thing in the mornings, but I'm still having a hard time getting in all my water.

Surgery date
    09/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen M. Clark
    Last Activity
    10-11-2021 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times

I got hungry at 3 months. Make sure you get in your protein, vitamins, minerals, omega3s, and water. You really won't feel as hungry when you do.

A lowcarb trick is to mix Miracle Whip (fat free) with tuna and a hard cooked egg. It really does satisfy a sweet tooth.
    Starting weight 06-06-11: 215 36.9 BMI
    Weight at Surgery 09-07-11: 188 32.3 BMI
    Current Weight as of 05-15-12: 135<-- As of 145lbs No longer overweight!
    Goal: 120 <-- Ideal weight 20.6 BMI

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Black View Post
    Thanks ya'll! You are both so correct!

I've always been an emotional eater ... several issues going on right now, I thought I was handling things better than I maybe am.

Grace, I know I am not physically hungry, my mind is playing that old trick on meJust because the surgery tells you you should not be hungry ... the mind is certainly a trick player. It's still a mental adjustment! I also think I need to log my food, to make sure I am eating enough protein's too. . I do drink pretty much only water, Coffee first thing in the mornings, but I'm still having a hard time getting in all my water.
    Another odd thing I've noticed.. not sure why but whenever I hit a goal I have trouble for a couple of weeks, as if my mind is saying....ok, done, now back to what I know as normal! Just happened after the 100 lb goal.....only now just dropping lbs again... I mention this because I note you just hit Onederland! Yay!
    I think I might try smaller goals, like 10 lbs to help this effect not grab hold so hard, maybe? Wish I knew more about how our minds work....
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member stephintexas's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Mirza
    Last Activity
    05-22-2014 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 127 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 32 Times

I have noticed that when I started adding back in carbs, I began to fight the urge to eat. I thought I was suddenly hungry but when I really thought about it, it's not real hunger. I just want to eat. Now I'm having trouble cutting out carbs totally so I'm cutting back. I know physically the hunger isn't really there but the urge to eat and eat, still is. I'm going to have to use this time with the tool to learn to really discipline myself. I have faced that I may fight this my whole life. Learning to fight it successfully is my goal. I am often envious of people who feel no hunger for months and lose tons of weight. That's just not me. I can tolerate any food, can eat about 1 cup of food and do fight the urge to eat frequently. I think it's mental and probably some primal drive. I like to tell myself it's linked somehow to my survival instincts. That if there were a zombie outbreak, my drive to survive would be equal to that drive to eat.

Gastric Sleeve Member Kay Black's Avatar
    Name
    Kay Black
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aaron Cernero
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Stephanie you are SO right on ... Carbs are VERY Dangerous for me, always have been and I know this! My mind keeps trying to tell me that I'm normal, and I can eat anything ... NOT! I am going to log my food for the next couple of days, go back to the liquid protein for several meals a day, and try like crazy to get in more water! I know the feeling of hungar is not really hungar, it's more like boardem, or stress!

You guys are great!!! Thanks!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Bessler
    Last Activity
    11-13-2014 10:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

These topics really make me worried. The whole reason I am doing the surgery is to help curb what I have so much trouble controlling- hunger and emotional eating. If I am hungry, I will eat. I don't do well with starvation. If I have the mental urge to eat, I have trouble controlling that and will eat a whole box of cookies til I am sick. I am working with a therapist...but this is not a battle easily won. Please tell me that this surgery will help...the physical limitation is what I need to over power the emotional urges. Ugh...

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Blog Entries

@stacey131 - Please don't think it's hard every day.. it's not. There is a hungry day and then maybe 5 not hungry days, at least for me. It's just old patterns. Our brains are used to us feeding it sweets when we are stressed, bored, or just at that time of the month. Even though we have far, far less hunger, the little bits we do eat that are out of our usual after surgery tend to stand out like a beacon. When you're eating almost pure protein for months and then you have something from the don't eat side of the menu it just gets a bit scary. Ideally we'd be able to eat a little of anything. And, very many folks can! Look at the folks here from the UK, I have always been astounded that they can have fruit right out of surgery...where most docs here say not for a long time. But they are doing fine. (makes me wonder about the genetics of glucose intolerance, but that's another post)... but some of us just plain have to say no to carbs, or suffer with hunger. I did it myself the last couple of months. Thought I could have a chocolate truffle once a week. Well, I could, but the rest of the week I was letting carbs slip back in and not dropping lbs much and feeling like utter crap. When I realized after reading other folks here say...low carb is it for me... I was ashamed of myself and drop kicked the carbs to the side and have dropped 3 lbs in the last 7 days. And, I don't hurt as much..and... I'm not hungry. This is why we are all here on this site, because, newby or veteran we can learn from each other and when we drift we can get right back on track... and that's why I've been here almost every day for 11 months now. I can't do it without all of you teaching me with your own experiences. In your case I'd say the first thing on the list is to purge your house of anything you can't eat. If there are no cookies, you cannot eat them. And don't worry, that feeling of being stuffed lasts. Just tonight, nearly 7 mo out I went to a buffet place for dinner with my kids. While it rankled me to spend full price (they wouldn't discount, I asked) and eat 3 stuffed mushrooms, a bite of onion ring and 1/2 a mozz stick.. it was literally all I could eat. And I got a little sad, I'll admit it. My son in law polished off 5 plates of food (one of those metabolically lucky guys) and I was trying to make my little plate last. But this is just how it is. When I could eat more. I did. If I still had a 40 oz stomach I'd still be eating 40 oz or more several times a day. That did not work out for me, and this does work. So even if it makes me sad for an hour at dinner once in a while, the other days and hours of my life I am happier, healthier and still not regretting this decision at all.
    End of book

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Bessler
    Last Activity
    11-13-2014 10:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Thank you

Name
    Karina
    Surgery date
    01/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brian Mirza
    Last Activity
    07-17-2012 12:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I dont think your the only one either I find myself looking for lil things to eat too , seems like Im always snacking on something. But lately when i get that urge I seem to keep my self occupied with something , like walking on my treadmill , or simply taking a walk outside . Sometimes I think its a mental thing with me