Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-05-2014 08:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

Default Intro and question

Hi, I'm scheduled for mid-April with Dr. Almanza for the VSG. Very excited and ready to get it done! Plane tickets purchased, hotel reserved, already on a "meat and greens" diet regimen to drop some weight before the official 2 wk pre-op diet starts.

Official pre op weight is 347, goal weight 180 to 190 (5'-10"). I'm really more nervous about the return flight and then returning to work in a week than the actual procedure.

Reading here and learning a lot. Have watched a ton of Youtube vids for inspiration. Some amazing stories out there. Really makes me believe it might be possible to be back to a normal size/weight. I'm married with 2 kids and they are what drives me. I want to see them grow up and be alive to know their children.

I thought of a question concerning any meds given to you by the surgeon's office. Some have said that they give you a "little bag" with your pain meds and antibiotics, etc when you leave. Is that legal to bring back over the border into the US (specifically any narcotic pain meds they might give)? Also, I work in healthcare and we are randomly tested (urine drug screen). As long as you have a prescription, you are OK, but will they consider meds given to you in Mexico (either IV in the clinic, or PO afterwards at the recovery house) to be OK? Hope that question makes sense.

I just don't want to go down there, get the surgery and get pain meds, then come back only to lose my job / license because I had a positive UDS (from what "they" may consider an illegitimate source).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Denny
    Surgery date
    01/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-09-2013 01:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Intro and question

I had surgery with Almanza 1/14/12, the "bag of meds" I received included a 5 day supply of antibiotic (generic cippro, HUGE pills) a bottle of "aluminio y magnesio" which is effectively Maalox, and a small box of naproxen (which left me VERY confused, since we're not supposed to be taking NSAIDs...) No narcotics of any type. They also supplied the necessary prescription to get it all across the border into the USA.

They gave us some pain meds after the surgery and sleeping pills at the recovery house. If you're concerned about those showing up in a random test, just ask the coordinator for a letter and give it to the testing lab if/when they have you give a sample.

At the airport coming home, I checked my bag so it wasn't a problem, but the bottle of antacid exceeds TSA liquid carry-on guidelines. If you want/need to put it in your carry-on, you can get a letter from your coordinator.

Good luck,
    -Denny

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Val
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

Denny said it all!

I don't think that there will be any issues w/drug tests at work. You won't be receiving any narcotics pain killers, even the night of the surgery. Honestly, the only thing in my "baggie" that I took was the cipro. The rest are still in my suitcase.

Best Wishes!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member splendaaa's Avatar
    Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    09/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-22-2013 02:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 290 Times in 238 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 476 Times

The meds you bring home non-narcotic, so it's fine. You will be fine. I am so excited for you!!!!! I remember it like it was yesterday. It's a safe place too. Can't wait to hear your success story.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Jennifer Favors
    Surgery date
    02/17/2012
    Surgeon
    dr. almanza
    Last Activity
    07-05-2014 02:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I had surgery Friday 2/17/12 with Dr. Almanza. I only am taking the Cipro and nothing else. Never used the other stuff and threw it away at the airport. So far so good, I've had no nausea and was up and walking the second day with little pain but managable. Had no problems on the flight home, just sipped a hot tea, and a water bottle all the way back to Florida on Monday. Yesterday I was back to normal routine (4 kids) haaa.....then work today. So far so good.
    My husband had the sleeve in June 2011 in FLorida and I have to say after putting up with our hospitals and staff where he was, that made me decide to go to Mexico; I am glad that I went and look forward to the lighter future.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    04/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

Thanks all, I feel much better now with some real world experiences passed on! Also, thanks for the warm welcome. Great to have this resource to support each other through this journey.

Surgery date
    04/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

ps - Christi and Jason Bearden are my coordinators and have been excellent. I just kept forgetting to ask them about the med issue.

Gastric Sleeve Member N2DVN_Hubby's Avatar
    Name
    Lewis
    Surgery date
    01/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-08-2015 07:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 109 Times in 101 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,478 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. We are very open on this site, so don't feel that any question is not worthy of asking. Remember that the only silly question is the one that you do not ask. Keep us informed of your progress and any problems you may be having, and we will do whatever we can to help get you through this. Stay in touch.
    Listen with your eyes, See with your heart, Love with your hands!