12-04-2013 04:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Hungry

Hello everyone,

Haven't posted in a while .

Had my sleeve Nine months ago ,,, doing well according to the the doctor .
    I was never ever hungry before two weeks ago .

All of a sudden , I feel FAMISHED . The yogurt / protein shake doesn't cut it anymore . I'm still hungry .

Anyone else experience this ??? All of sudden you're hungrier than before ????

I find that I need more to feel full . Is my stomach stretching ? Or is it because I'm exercising more ? Or is it just summer time ???

Anyone have any ideas ??? Anyone else going through something similar ???

I'm am terrified that I will gain weight again .

Would love some comments/ideas/ strategies .

Thank you !!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member gemini*eyes's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    02-05-2014 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hungry

Im in the same position. Just about 9 months and feeling hungrier than ever and needing more to feel full. My stomach is definately larger than it was 4 months ago. I am able to eat almost double what I did a few months ago. Its still much less then before the surgery but way more then I expected to be able to ever eat again. I lost most my weight in the first 4 months and since then ive stalled and gone up and down the same 7 pounds or so. I dont eat the best and I also drink alcohol as well. I have went back to protein shakes this week and its helping with the hunger. I also started another round of the stomach acid meds to see if that helps. I know for sure if I eat any carb at all it increases my hunger big time leading to more carb intake and more hunger increase.. So I have to stay away from carbs or else ill eat all darn day. I remember before the surgery the more I ate the hungrier I got so yes its a scary thought... I also have had slight hunger as well as a few serious hunger pains throughout this experience. Guess I wasnt lucky enough to lose my hunger pains like some others have.. I smell food and I want it. I get growling hunger like I always have. thats disappointing but still worth the 55 pounds off my body.! Up to this point its been effortless. Now add this hunger and Im getting worried I cant control it. This week has gone very well by keeping protein at arms length at all times and drinking 80oz of water and no caffiene helps too.. good luck to you

Gastric Sleeve Member ScreamAndBeFree's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Classen
    Last Activity
    04-15-2017 07:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

I haven't had my sleeve yet, but my doctor told me to discontinue ALL protein shakes after 12 weeks. They move through the stomach too fast and do not keep you full. Do you still feel hungry when you eat real food, say 3 or 4 ounces of chicken or fish?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Curtis Peery
    Last Activity
    05-11-2019 12:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 11 months out and notice I can eat more now than in prior months - I really have to be mindful where in the past I wasn't hungry. Now I feel hungry but it is different from pre-sleeve - more like a hollow feeling in my tummy...signaling me to put something in it. This morning I ate a piece of toast with peanut butter, low fat cheese and an egg on it - I can eat the whole slice now where in the past I would stop with half the slice. I have not gained any weight but have upped my exercise to walking at least 5 miles a day to make sure I do not gain any weight. So clearly the sleeve will require discipline on my part forever - it helps that I have lost 95 pounds and am below goal but still I was hoping I would not get hungry ever again - so it isn't the magic carpet ride for the long haul but it sure got me to where I needed to be for the long haul. Still love my sleeve.

Surgery date
    03/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bhesania
    Last Activity
    12-30-2016 04:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

Im only 4 months out, but my doctor told me that right now my sleeve is the size of say a finger, and at 12months out it will be the size of 3 fingers, not huge just not swollen anymore so this could be the reason, your sleeve is becoming its normal size now since its not swollen anymore, so you may need to take in more protein.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents