Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-14-2012 12:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

Default Mexico and the Gastric Sleeve

When I decided to have the surgery done I started looking at where to have it done at. In many areas of the US the Gastric sleeve is a relatively new procedure. It has been being done much longer in Europe and Mexico. I wanted the person who had the most experience to do my surgery. I had my surgery done by Dr. Almanza the end of October last year with no complications and had a wonderful experience.

I could have had the surgery done in the hospital that I work at. The surgeon there had only done a few. That wasn't enough for me. Currently I know of a patient that had it done and has been hospitalized 4 times because her stomach keeps flipping. They are now resorting to trying a stent.

I guess the reason I felt I should write is because I don't want anyone to be afraid to go to Mexico to have this done. If you were having brain surgery you would want the best right? Well the same should be true of the sleeve and if you have to travel to Mexico to have it done then so be it. Dr. Almanza has done over 5000 of these.

This is for you. The rest of your life will change after this surgery so just be sure to have it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Best of luck to all that go for it. It is so worth it!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member BigGurl32's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-22-2014 07:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Re: Mexico and the Gastric Sleeve

IM so happy that you made this post! I am having my surgery done on Feb 8th with Dr. Almanza, Im glad to see he has such a good reputation and im glad you had an excellent outcome. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    10/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-14-2012 12:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

Send me a private message and I will email you some pointers

Gastric Sleeve Member donewithdieting's Avatar
    Name
    Linda Lou
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    05-15-2016 05:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 76 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 711 Times

So true Lisa, I did this for me. I have so much more energy. I worked nights last night, 3 co-workers came up to me and said they noticed my weight loss and it is good. Even back from a 2 week vacation I had a weight loss. Yeah.

Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

Thanks for posting this. I am pre-op at the moment, but have decided that going to Mexico will be a good option for me. Why? Well, first of all, I like the idea of having choices--instead of being assigned to the one or two doctors covered by your insurance. My insurance covers the sleeve 100%, if I am willing to lay down on an operating table and let a surgeon operate on me even though I find him to be rude, arrogant, and far less experienced at doing sleeves than most surgeons operating in TJ. Secondly, the price is great. This surgery will be a great financial hardship to me, but every penny will be well spent, and the cost is still within reach. My friend did a self-pay sleeve in the US and had to pay $14,500.00. She had to do yard sales, and all sorts of fundraising to make it happen. This option makes the procedure far more affordable to a greater number of people. Thirdly, there are so many negative opinions and sterotypes floating around out there about Mexican, or any foreign medical care that these surgeons and the hospitals that they use absolutely HAVE to be superior to what we can get here--not as good as, but better. People post on this and other forums every minute detail of everything that went right or wrong while they were in Mexico, so ensuring that people have positive and memorable experiences ensures the next wave of patients for the Mexican surgeons. Surgeons here, who are paid by our insurance companies only have to show up and make sure we don't die on the table. They really don't have to compete. I'm not saying they're all bad or complacement, but I've met more than my fair share to know it's prevalent here in the US.

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kay
    Surgery date
    09/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-26-2012 03:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 86 Times in 75 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 79 Times

Cool Re: Mexico and the Gastric Sleeve

that's really well written, Sunflower.. i agree with you!!.. 200% Bigurl! good luck with your surgery!

12. Said thanks: