Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-27-2011 12:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Red face Hello

Hello,

Not really sure what to say here that doesn’t sound like an AA introduction!

I’m booked in for the gastric sleeve in April 7 with Dr Jorgensen. I only found out about GS a few weeks ago when I went to see about lap band surgery. I had been for info sessions a few years ago and I don’t think the sleeve was presented as an option , or if it was it wasn’t the thing that stuck in my mind. Anyway I didn’t end up going ahead with it then because I decided I deserved one last real try to get my life back before I resorted to surgery. I joined up with a personal trainer and have lost a fair amount of weight since then (30kg), but I’m still struggling with an additional maybe 60-70kg to lose. Current weight is 140kg and a BMI of around 50 (I think). Anyway I’m generally a very private person about any personal struggles that have to do with health, and so I’ve written this post about three times and it’s still giving me chills…

Anyway I am glad I’m booked in and even though I am still doing research I am almost 99% sure it’s the right decision. One thing I hope to learn from the many people on this board; what is life after the sleeve really like. I don’t mean in the recovery from surgery but I mean six months after surgery is it possible to sit down to a meal with colleagues and be able to ‘hide’ that you have had the operation, or are you destined to disclose this repeatedly because it is that far removed from ‘normal’ eating/drinking habits.

The thing that is pushing me to this more than just the health and cosmetic benefits is the improvement in life experience. So many things I am dying to do before MS (possibly) disables me are dependant upon me being fit enough to participate!

I want to learn to scuba dive, go running outside (instead of hiding on a treadmill in my garage!), go swimming without having an anxiety attack because people are “looking” at me, climb a mountain and ride a horse! I am sure others have lists like this – I think I saw a book recently called something like ‘the bucket list’ (things to do before you kick the bucket). I think I’ve always had a list like this but it just seemed like dreams with very little possibility of becoming reality. Though I am very nervous about this surgery, each day closer I am starting to believe I am actually making plans not just dreams!

Even though writing a novel may be on my bucket list, I will not make this post the beginning so I will stop now!

Hope to get to know many of you as I join this journey!

Chantal

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/01/2010
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 255 Times in 129 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 221 Times

Default Re: Hello

Hi Chantal,
    I will be 6 months out of surgery on February 10th. Six months out of surgery you will be just fine, you will be able to eat a regular meal, just in very small amounts.
    I didn't share about my surgery with anyone and since my eating habits are now healthier nobody asks about what have I done to loose the weight, for example I eat less, I don't eat anything fried, I don't have dessert or anything with sugar.
    You don't really have to tell anyone about surgery, I haven't and nobody asks, they wondered at the begining about how I lost weight so quickly but when they see I don't eat as much as they do and the quality of food I eat is healthier and they know I hit the gym everyday.... so it all makes sense.
    Sometimes someone will ask: it's that all you're going to eat? and I say yes, I don't want to be fat again.
    I work in an industry that celebrates everything with food and drinks so I understand where your question is comming from.
    I've been able to adapt well, I don't drink at all anymore, my doctor restricted alcohol at least for the first 6 months and up to a year post op and I am doing fine with that (I do miss my margaritas, but the way I feel and look are worth it!)
    When birthdays are celebrated in my office and they serve me a piece of cake someone will say: no, she won't eat that, give it to me....
    So...my message is since your eating habits will change, they will see that's what is making a difference in your life. You don't have to tell anyone about surgery if you don't want to. It is your private life, your business and your decision if you tell or not. I decided not to tell and I am doing just fine.

Good luck!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Frangipani Girl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr John Jorgensen / Kogarah
    Last Activity
    03-20-2018 04:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 296 Times
    Was Thanked 111 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 216 Times

Welcome Chantel,

Happy to see you join this great site filled with people that are here to help with any questions we have and also support us when we find it tough after surgery.

I will also be joining you for surgery on the 7th April with Dr Jorgensen and hopefully we can support each other.

You are very inspiring with your outlook in life and I know that you will be able to do the things you are hoping to cross off your bucket list.

You go girl - I know we can do this.

Take care and stay in touch.

Jenny
    30/03/2011 - Surgery Day - 111.6kg
    Next is my Ultimate Goal - 67kg

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Six months, wow that would mean by September not only might I look terrific but be eating pseudo ‘normally’?! That makes me feel so much better – though I know from other posts on here which I've been reading that your experience is perhaps a best case. But still...possible right!?
    And thanks for sharing about 'to share or not to share'. It fills me with dread to be forever explaining - good to know that you've been able to keep it to yourself. You must be very strong though - i know even now when i haven't yet had the surgery I feel like I have been tempted to tell friends and such but so far I have resisted. I am trying to keep who I talk about this with, according to those who will help me on my journey, and those who probably won’t (and who will end up gossiping about it). Sigh…unfortunately most of my family fit into the latter category where gossip is a favourite activity and so I need to be strong. I dream of just being able to live a normal life without being forever reminded…

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Smile Re: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Frangipani Girl View Post
    I will also be joining you for surgery on the 7th April with Dr Jorgensen and hopefully we can support each other.

Hi Jenny - Are you a little bit fazed by the fact that April is so soon!? I am, exciting but also a little scary!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Frangipani Girl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr John Jorgensen / Kogarah
    Last Activity
    03-20-2018 04:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 296 Times
    Was Thanked 111 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 216 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Chants View Post

Hi Jenny - Are you a little bit fazed by the fact that April is so soon!? I am, exciting but also a little scary!
    Hi Chantel,

To think when we saw Dr Jorgensen at the end of January and then received our operation date for April - I know I immediately felt how far away it seemed, but you are right it is only around the corner. So much has and will happen in between that I know we will be happy we had this time before the op.

Take care .. Jenny
    30/03/2011 - Surgery Day - 111.6kg
    Next is my Ultimate Goal - 67kg