Surgeon
    Dr. Marvin
    Last Activity
    05-19-2015 10:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times

Default Re: Post Op Diet

I wasn't given ANY long term restrictions. I was allowed caffeine immediately post op. I am allowed carbonated beverages after my first month. I was on no preop diet at all, was on clear liquid for one week post surgery, will be on mushy food for 3 weeks, then normal foods. I am ENCOURAGED to eat potatoes right now during my mushy food phase. The only thing I have been told that I HAVE/NEED to stay away from is sugar. I was told to only eat red meat on occasion, and to avoid liquid calories. Nothing else has been said to be a no-no. It really does vary by Dr.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    Starting 6/11

My weight loss journey blog
    http://dwindlingexpectations.blogspot.com/

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    08/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Turton
    Last Activity
    03-07-2013 07:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times

I'm with those of you who are feeling a bite or two of carbs won't derail you, but you have to eat healthy overall. I'm going to try to stay away from Diet DR. Pepper for a LONG time. Talk about addicted. I have no desire at this point to eat sugars. If I'm going to eat something with this teeny stomach, I want it to be something substantial and filling. Protein. It's working for me so far...

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w7Svk7y/]

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Scott Stowers
    Last Activity
    04-15-2012 04:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Tara, I was told to eat potatoes too, and I was SO excited to have that as my first official soft food. And then half an hour later I was sick as a dog. Know thyself is right--and now I know I can't eat potatoes! lol

Gastric Sleeve Member Tara McGee Jackson's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marvin
    Last Activity
    05-19-2015 10:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times

Angela, thats interesting to hear. Now you have me SCARED!!! How soon did you eat them? I was thinking of trying one soon. I may have to put that off!

Starting 6/11

My weight loss journey blog
    http://dwindlingexpectations.blogspot.com/

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Patti
    Surgery date
    08/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Richards
    Last Activity
    04-08-2012 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 176 Times
    Blog Entries

I was not told to avoid those foods either, I was told to be very careful about carbs.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    02-16-2015 06:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you for your replies. Coffee and water are the only things I drink full stop. I've not had anything carbonated for more than 20 years, so that won't be a problem. But I'm definitely a coffee drinker, so will have to prepare myself. FOr those that had the sleeve, is it true that you really don't feel that 'hungry' that the part of your stomach that produces the hormone that causes hunger is gone? How much do you struggle with hunger? (Am a carb junkie so this will be challenging, but obviously, due to my health, it's something I really need to do. So I'm trying to get as much 'insider' knowledge as I can before I talk to the Dr so I'm more prepared, psychologically).

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gorospe
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 09:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

The hunger isn't diminished completely, but it is greatly reduced. The amount of ghrelin that your stomach produces is significantly less. Definitely start weening yourself from caffeine 1 month prep. U don't want to be having caffeine withdrawals when u r recovering from your surgery. I was told to not have caffeine for first month, but I have continued to exclude caffeine due to I dont want to become addicted again.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    07/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Follwell
    Said "Thanks" 328 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 203 Times
    Blog Entries

I was told to stop caffeine before surgery. I started drinking a cup at 3 weeks when I went back to work. I drink 3/4 noncaffeine and 1/4 caffeine. I usually don't drink the whole cup before it gets cold (yuck). It is something I enjoy at work. As for other items, pre-surgery I loved instant mashed potatoes. I tried them once or twice during the early mushy stage with gravy. It just didn't seem worth it when we are trying to get our protein in to "waste" that much space with proteinless food. However, I did eat a bit of baked yams the other day and they were very good. Something I would eat again (at least a few bites).

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 417 Times in 281 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 382 Times

Its definitely a different sensation than the "hunger" you are used to. I would even say that I dont think I ever truly felt hunger before now... what I had before was the desire to eat, but I certainly never let my stomach even become completely empty or to the point of actually growling (even if I said I was "starving"). Now, when my sleeve is empty, it is empty... It will growl a little too, but mostly it feels kind of hollow. And it feels like a true NEED to eat or I will pass out or keel over or something (no clue what would actually happen )... The reduction in the hunger hormone doesnt keep me from being hungry it seems, but it does make you aware of what real hunger is, and does make me able to eat less and stop when I think I should. I no longer look at food as entertainment - its almost a pain to eat now, and sometimes I just ignore that growling/hollow thing for just a little longer than I should. THen suddenly I know I have to eat *now*. It doesnt take much to get rid of the sensation, but I definitely have to eat when it tells me to! I decide on what I am going to eat and how much, then eat that. Even if I am not "stuffed" i have no trouble stopping eating when I finish what I set out for myself.

Also, for some people the excess stomach acid produced can mimic hunger and drive you nuts. Taking an acid reducer twice a day greatly kills that feeling. I think you only do it for like 2 weeks, but some doctors have said for 2 months even. Have to check with your doc on that.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member supersmile37's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Noel Williams
    Last Activity
    04-10-2012 01:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 39 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa4444 View Post
    I'm new here, have been lurking. Am still weighing up my options, leaning towards the sleeve. I hope you don't mind me butting in here, this conversation has been useful. My jaw dropped here though : No caffeine? At all? Ever? Coffee?

I haven't met with my Drs yet (My GP recommended this surgery, and a surgeon {I'm in Australia}, I meet with them in a few weeks). SO I'm extremely early on in the process here, so please forgive the ignorance and stupid questions of a newbie.

I've been starting to prepare myself for cutting certain foods out of my life permanantly. Others, not being able to eat for a long time, and then only in small doses. But giving up coffee had literally not occurred to me! I don't drink, I don't smoke, but coffee....That worries me.
    As for no caffine. They gave it to me in the hospital. I think it is helpful NOT to have it as othters have said, sort of like the no carbs... it is beneficial to weight loss.

As for me.. I will see you at Starbucks!!! Getting my one cup of coffee a day!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    GingerJohnson
    Surgery date
    05/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregory Walton
    Last Activity
    09-16-2011 04:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

Hi Melissa4444~ cutting caffiene for me was only for a short period before surgery and then for about 2 weeks after. My personal plan provided to me by my surgeon & nutritionist advised that taking in caffine too early would restrict the amount of the 64 oz of SF,non-carbonated,non-caffinated beverages I could get down. Right after surgery liquids are so importanat, but there is no gulping or even regular size drinks like you are used to. So to be able to sip all day and get that much fluid down is tough sometimes. Caffine can actually add to the dehydration problem. I now have coffee in the morning and I Love it. I can do a little more than sip now, so I'm able to get my liquids in much easier.

Good luck to you, your journey is your own. If any of us can help answer questions for you we will. My diet exclusions are something that I can live with, but as with anything I'm not perfect. I reserve the right to change my mind! LOL

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    GingerJohnson
    Surgery date
    05/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregory Walton
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times

Thanks for all the posts!

I guess my food restrictions are mostly my own. I have always had an issue with sweets, and crappy carbs. I'm going to use my tools the battle not only the bulge, but to battle my former additctions. I'm fighting a head game right now. I'll keep praying and staying away from my triggers and with God's grace I'll see you on the skinny side.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    GingerJohnson
    Surgery date
    05/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregory Walton
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times

Sounds great. I love that I found him. I really does care and the staff at WeightWise is wonderful. My hospital stay was very short and went beautifully.

Good Luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    GingerJohnson
    Surgery date
    05/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregory Walton
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times

My soft foods were things like - canned tuna, canned chicken, & eggs. All of those with a little bit of mayo to "soften" them. No veggies of any type until week 5.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Thomas
    Last Activity
    07-11-2012 08:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 637 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 99 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 411 Times

i'm 3 months post op and sorry, I EAT SUSHI, that is my only real treat and it doesn't seem to bother me once every other week. i don't eat tons, so i'm okay w/it and so is my tummy.