Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

just started the process

1. socialw55
    socialw55
    HI all
    I have just started the application process for sleeve surgery. I was assigned to Dr. Almanza. Two people (neither one of them have had surgery in Mexico) have advised me not to do it there. I wondered if any one could give me some advice on the good/bad and ugly of going through with this. How do you follow up with your doctor after returning home from surgery? Can you return to work within a week? Is there risk of infections and what was your experience with this. What should I bring with me? Whats the worst part of the aftercare?
  2. Miek
    Miek
    Hi, congrats on taking the first step on changing your life. Almanza did my sleeve in March of last year and have reached my goal size. So to me there is no bad or ugly, only GOOD. I'm curious how two people that didn't do theirs in Mexico can advise you against it. Everything was clean, every needle was opened in front of me out of its sterile original packaging. Don't expect a state of the art hospital like we have in the US though. You'll see mis-matched bed linens, older IV equipment, etc. But it all works and gets the job done.

There really isn't much need for post surgery follow up. If so, then your primary care can handle it. In fact, I do recommend you speak with your Dr so they know what you're doing and can provide you with their input and guidance. Mine had no problem with me doing it in Mexico and told me it was bad for his business but great for my health (I no longer need any prescriptions or medical care outside of routine exams).

This is a great site you've selected for support and I'm sure you'll find the feedback from your post positive and reassuring. Good luck in your journey, it's the greatest gift you'll ever give yourself.
  3. Leslie L.
    Leslie L.
    I will be having mine done there in March. Almanza came highly recommended to me which is why I did choose him. I personally know three people who had it done there and have nothing but good to say. I can give you more detail from experience after March
  4. FeliciaB
    FeliciaB
    As any surgery ther is risk for infection, but I believe that falls in the patients responsibility to keep wounds clean and take antibiotics as prescribed. I had my surgery on Jan. 5th, I'm just shy of 2 weeks out. The care you recieve in the hospital is equal to what you would receive in the states, and it is very clean. I went with a group of 8 others, 9 including me, and to my knowledge we are all home and healthy. Just be sure to keep sipping water because you will experience diarrhea, but you do in the states as well. I believe you will be able to return to work in a week, as long as your work load doesn't involve lifting, or any other strain on your stomach. I personally felt no pain from the sleeve incisions, but my gallbladder removal could have been masking it. The worst pain is the gassy feeling that really doesn't go away until a few days after you're home.
    Any surgery has risks, but Dr. Almanza has a very high success rate. I don't regret my decision, and I would do it all over again. Plus he uses a 32 bougie (the device used to determine the size of your new stomach) which is smaller than in the states. Yes I'm hungry, and you will be head hungry like you're starving for the first three months, but it passes. And every time I step on the scale and see more weight gone the hunger quickly fades. I'm 22 pounds down and the difference is amazing.

I wish you luck on your journey, everything will be great. If you have anymore questions you can just ask .
  5. Cyndy-loo
    Cyndy-loo
    I had my surgery done done by him last May and have reached my goal. At first my family was against it and my husband even said he would divorce me if I went. Being the stubborn person I am, I went anyway and there was hell to pay when I got back. I knew it was the right decision for me and now my family realized it as well. My husband is benefiting from it as well. Because I feel so good and proud of my body I am more willing to be the sex crazed animal I once was and we are having a blast.
  6. rockscott40
    rockscott40
    Dr Almanza is good. No issues here. Heading pad and gas strips......
  7. Jacobcat
    Jacobcat
    I had mine done in September 2014...best thing I ever did...Dr. Almanza is great...he has had it done himself...I am 8 pounds from my goal...less complications there than in the US or Canada...think about it...that's all he does...takes 35 minutes...here the doctors might do 1 a week or so...he is an expert...I had no complications...my 1month and 3 month blood work were perfect...but you have do do your pre-op and post-op as instructed or you will have problems...I still weigh and measure everything...best of luck...message me if I can help in any way...
  8. socialw55
    socialw55
    thanks for all the replies. Its very encouraging and helps me with moving forward from here. Now I just have to get over the anxieties and get it done!
  9. ChefMissy
    ChefMissy
    I'm getting sleeved on March 9th by Dr Almanza and i am super excited. I've read/heard 99% good about him and feel confident in my choice.
  10. martinez88
    martinez88
    I have a question!!! When scheduling with Dr. Almanza im going through weightlossagency.com and they charge you 250.00? did they ask for a copy of the card and your id?? that feels so fishy to me why do they want copies? my main concern is fraud! The surgery will be done @HMN Hospital any reiews on them?? please help scheduled for March 2nd but I haven't paid deposit... Nobody has been able to confirm with me whether this is a scam or really is true... have heard good things about Dr. Kelly and Dr. Alvarez, haven't really seen any recent comments about Dr. Almanza!! Help!!!