Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Preparing

1. MamaPope77
    MamaPope77
    Hi guys! I have not had my surgery yet but my husband is not supportive. He has not said it outright but his words have indicated that he thinks this is the easy way and we all know that it is not an easy journey to take. And in my heart of hearts I have a gut feeling this will get harder the closer I get to my surgery date. Any suggestions or thoughts?
  2. Joe Poppa
    Joe Poppa
    I responded a week ago with this statement to someone who was told they were "taking the lazy way out" by having having gastric surgery.

This is a quote taken directly from the "The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery" (ASMBS):

"More than a decade ago, The National Institutes of Health, better known as NIH, reported that individuals affected by severe obesity are resistant to maintaining weight loss achieved by conventional therapies, such as consuming fewer calories, increasing exercise, commercial weight-loss programs, etc.). The NIH recognized bariatric (weight-loss) surgery as the only effective treatment to combat severe obesity and maintain weight loss in the long term."

Don't let naysayers and other negative people change your mind about these procedures.
  3. MysticalMaybe
    MysticalMaybe
    It is hard and It's tuff when the one person who you need by your side at all times is totally against you, I know it first hand. We are struggling even now and I'm a year out. It went from the easy way, to the you don't even excersize (which is a lie, just because he don't see me doing it) to the your cheating on me thing... I'm not going to lie you will be tested and ready to leave but keep in mind that this is something HE has to over come not you. You just need to worry about your health. I never changed the person I am. I don't dress skimpy just because I lost the weight so if you know you stayed the same then let him go through what he has to, to adjust to the person you have always been on the inside but a different person on the outside.

Stay true to you
  4. Doll
    Doll
    I am in the same boat here. I am getting ready to do my EDG and then my last class in December and looking at surgery in January or February. My husband has come right out and said he does not support my decision. When I ask why he says he has known me for over 35 years and knows I won't make the changes needed. He has also talked to other husbands who's wives have had a band and they have gained their weight back. I am having trouble getting him to see that the sleeve is different, I am different and this is my last chance. When I told him 3 months ago I was going to see Dr. Hoehn he told me to send him information to read, etc. He has read nothing that I have sent him. I have asked him to go to my last 2 visits and he won't go. Now I don't know even what to do. Should I stop this whole process or just go through with it and deal with him later. Help me I am really at a cross roads here.