Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Little Verbena

I am so flipping sore

Rate this Entry
I have been walking since the day of surgery. Granted it wasn't more than 5 or 10 minutes there at first but every day I walked. I worked my way slowly to walking down the drive way and back. Eventually I started walking down the drive way then out to the barn and back. Then I added walking to length of the horse pasture. Then I started going around the edge of the pasture and so on. Every week I added more until now I am walking about 2 miles a day.

I have been hesitant to add other types of workouts. I have a genetic heart disease that makes exercise well, interesting. I also have an ICD implanted in my heart to make sure that if it ever stops (again), I will be restarted automatically. (I like to think of it as a battery backup) I have learned that there are things I can do and things I just can’t do. I can swim and walk and dance and ride roller coasters but I can not scuba (which is something I really miss) or sprint or be a run marathons. I have accepted that.

Recently I decided that while walking has been great, I need some toning and strengthening. So, I did what any computer nerd would do, I got online and found some toning exercises from Women’s Health (you know, the one with all the plastic, airbrushed women on the cover) and some yoga sites. I decided that I would walk one day, use small hand held weights to tone my arms, legs and butt the next and do yoga the next. Then I would start it all over again. I put them on my pinterest site so I could just pull up the posters for the ones I know how to do and click to the sites for those I needed more instructions for.

So Tuesday I did my walk. I made sure to hit the area on the ranch that was an uphill climb so I got a work out. Wednesday I felt great so I grabbed my 3 pound dumbbells and started my “Bye bye arm jiggle” workout. It went pretty well. I didn't do all the recommended exercises as I don’t have some of the equipment but I did what I could. Since I didn't do them all I did three sets of then ones I could do. That took me about 15 minutes. Then I did 5 of the “12 best butt exercises”. I did two set of each of these but man I could feel it in my legs right away. These were a lot harder as it involved some balancing as well. Afterwards I felt great. I logged my time in MFP and went about my day.

I woke up this morning and got out of bed and OMYFLIPPINGPANCAKES!! Pain ripped through my in ways I never knew it could. I have never been this sore. My arms are not sore at all. But my thighs, hamstrings and butt HOLY TOLEDO. I tried stretching out my sore muscles but it hurt too much. It hurts just thinking about how much it hurts. Walking to the bathroom was agony but I had to do it, Hubby refused to carry me. (because he was laughing too hard). I loosened up a little and went to my office where I could suffer in peace. Sitting wasn't so bad but standing up was pure hell.
I pulled up my pinterest site, cursed at the pin for the butt workout and pulled up my yoga pin. This is a modified Sun Salutation set and I figured it would be good for stretching. It felt like knives pulled through my legs at first but after the third round I started to feel better. By the time I finished the sixth set I could touch the floor during the forward bends and no longer felt like I would cry when I moved.

I can not believe how sore my legs are. Aren't these the same ones that walk 2 miles? Aren't these the same ones that manage 6 to 12 flights of stairs a day? I guess I am just really out of shape. I am going to stick with my rotation plan and see if it gets easier but dang, this strengthening stuff is hard!

Submit "I am so flipping sore" to Digg Submit "I am so flipping sore" to del.icio.us Submit "I am so flipping sore" to StumbleUpon Submit "I am so flipping sore" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I feel your pain! My butt can relate to how your legs feel. It gets better as you go so just keep going. Well, that's what I tell myself anyway....psyche myself out.....
    Quote Originally Posted by HGfromOmaha
    I feel your pain! My butt can relate to how your legs feel. It gets better as you go so just keep going. Well, that's what I tell myself anyway....psyche myself out.....
    I was thinking about you this morning HG. As I stood in agony I thought, well, at least I don't ride a barbed wire coated bicycle seat. And if you can get back on that bike, then on Saturday morning I will pick up those weights again. Hopefully it won't hurt as much the second time around.
    Little Verbena, can you give me links to these workouts? Guess I'm a glutton for punishment! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Angella67
    Little Verbena, can you give me links to these workouts? Guess I'm a glutton for punishment! lol
    Here you go, but honey you have been warned!

Bye bye jiggly arms

12 best butt exercises

Morning Yoga
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Verbena
    I was thinking about you this morning HG. As I stood in agony I thought, well, at least I don't ride a barbed wire coated bicycle seat. And if you can get back on that bike, then on Saturday morning I will pick up those weights again. Hopefully it won't hurt as much the second time around.
    Pain is in the mind!!! I was on my bike yesterday...even though it was freezing here! And I'll be on it tonight and tomorrow. So do those weights!

I had to take a look at the links to the exercises you posted because I'm curious.....Let's make a deal. You go right ahead and feel free to do all of those exercise and then tell us about them! I'll just ride my bike happily!
    I do duck walks and sometimes I get so sore I cant get on (or off) the toilet without whimpering and moaning. My exercise class has us kick and then touch the floor and that.....is quite pleasant (not) as well. Look up duck walks....ducks are such cute little creatures makes no sense
    I felt the same way after I did my first PowerSculpt class. My left calf hurt for a full week! All I can say is that it will get better
    I tried my first Zumba class today, one hour and fifteen minutes of non stop moving, thought I was dying and worried how I'm going to feel too. Keep up the good work I'm really trying to fit excercise into my schedule I'm 3 weeks post op now and needing to get on the ball