Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

marilynlw

Marilyn's weight loss journey, installment 6 !

Rate this Entry
Well it is 3 weeks post op and it has been an adventure learning to eat and drunk again. My doctor is one who advocates transitioning back to real food at a fairly rapid clip. I spent 2 nights in the hospital instead of just one. That was more do to the time my surgery was completed than any health issues on my part. He doesn't like to discharge until they have be observed at least 24 hours after surgery and it would have been late on Tuesday. When he told me he wanted me to stay until Wednesday morning I readily agreed as the morphine pump was my best friend at that time. When I was discharged Wed. I was given a Oxycontin and a RX for more. I never filled the RX because I just didn't need it.

In the hospital I was given meals of broth, jello, tea, and crystal lite. I would take a sip of each and go YUCK. No nausea just didn't want them. Give me Ice chips and I was happy. When home I did drink a little of other things but much preferred the crushed ice. Each day I managed to get more in but it took me a week to get up to the 64 ozs. On day 5 I was allowed to start pureed foods and was surprised that most things went down pretty easy but I keep everything very thin to start. Once I started eating food it felt like my intestines finally woke up and started moving the gas out and I felt much better. The only problem I have had to date with food was when I had some tuna salad and it was not thin enough and felt like it got stuck. I have eaten straight tuna since and it was fine.

I have recently progressed to soft foods. Do not need to puree just chew chew chew. I have no problem with everything I have tried so far but I have not been brave enough to try somethings yet. I'm trying to stay away from the carbs as much as possible because I know they were a big part of my problem. My daughter baked 10 batches of cookies this past weekend. I would love to be able to say I didn't have any but I don't like to lie. At least it is only ONE a day but I fear that may be what is keeping me in this nasty stall. I lost about 1 lb a day for the first 2 weeks , now nothing. Very normal but frustrating. I am eating between 800 - 900 calories a day so I know it will end soon. But the sooner the better.

I have been logging everything on MYFITNESSPAL so know I am getting plenty of protein and fluids. My stomach rarely ever feels hungry but I still want to eat all the time. Old habits die hard. If I can get my head into this I would do so much better. It is a real mind game. I am trying really hard to do the right thing but I am only human.

I am so glad I have my sleeve because I know without it I would have no chance of ever concurring obesity. I have to make this tool work for me. I wish this had been available to me 40 years ago. I love all of my friends and supporters on the forum. May all your journeys be happy successful ones.

Submit "Marilyn's weight loss journey, installment 6 !" to Digg Submit "Marilyn's weight loss journey, installment 6 !" to del.icio.us Submit "Marilyn's weight loss journey, installment 6 !" to StumbleUpon Submit "Marilyn's weight loss journey, installment 6 !" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Marilyn, it sounds like you are getting into the swing of things. That is good. I have heard many times and have done this as well, when I felt like something wasn't quite right I would go back a couple steps. It is very common to be in a stall at the 3 wk mark. Don't beat yourself up for trying an occassional carb treat, but maybe next time have a half of a half. Just so you get a taste but not the whole thing. I don't know just an idea. Don't let it get you into defeatist thinking though because you don't need that. You have and are coming a long way and in no way are you consuming or even able to consume the amount of food you were before. The thing this tool affords us now is the ability to make a conscious effort to change, and that is an amazing gift. When you can start exercising that will make a huge difference too. Just one more way that you can, as you said, conquer obesity. Your on the right track and while in a stall watch those inches fall off.
    I'm week three too, and it sounds like we have both gone down similar paths... I am still only doing 600 calories tho, I won't get up to the 1000 mark (on purpose) till January sometime because as the doc explained, this is the window of oppty to lose the most weight, the maintenance will end up at 1,000-1,200 cal a day
    Don't sweat the stall, your body is just figuring out what to lose next. Sounds like you're doing everything right! Congratulations!