Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

LealScott

Hair differences

Rate this Entry
I am only 5 weeks post surgery and so far no hair loss. I didn't expect any this early on but what has changed is the texture. I have curly hair and even in this humidity my hair is much straighter. This is not a bad thing, just noticing.

When I had my thyroid removed at age 19 I went bald and when it came back it was lighter and straighter and much more fine. Go figure.

Curious if anyone else has noticed differences in their hair beyond loss.

Submit "Hair differences" to Digg Submit "Hair differences" to del.icio.us Submit "Hair differences" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hair differences" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I heard that the hair loss usually comes around 4 months post op...i hope for your sake it skips you, I am already taking biotin to see if i can keep from having it. I heard everyone goes though it a little
    I luckily am blessed with freakishly thick hair and at 4 1/2 months out, I can pull out small handfulls at a time My hair has thinned considerably, but would still be considered thick. It began about 6 weeks ago. I am hoping it slows. Now... I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad you brought up this texture issue! I thought I might be alone and my husband acts like I'm crazy when I try to explain it. I have long dark straight hair. My hair has always been silky and shiny (thanks to my father's native american heritage) But since surgery my hair seems dryer, more blah and dull. Even though it's thinner, it takes longer to dry... Like FOREVER!!!!! I think I am more concerned about restoring my texture than I am the thickness.
    My doctor told me as longest I hit my protein grams I shouldn't expect hair loss.
    Haven't had my surgery yet, but my hair is already thin. Anyone have complete hair loss that would require a wig? It seems any surgery (hip replacement) last year I lose hair. Wonder if it's the anethesia/
    I asked my Dr last week about hair loss. He said there should be NONE! If you lose hair it's because your specific body needs more protein. If your eating 80 protein and start losing hair...Increase protein to 90 etc. He said all his patients at the VA do not lose hair if they are getting the proper protein and all people are different on the amount they need. This is what he told me.. We'll see LOL
    I just started losing my hair. I am taking biotin and try to reach my daily protein goal of 80 grams. I have also noticed a difference in the texture of my hair - dry. I hope the hair lose stops soon.
    Funny how we all get different information from the medical field! My doctor said everyone who loses weight quickly or has major surgerywill have some hair loss but it will come back. And the NUT said Biotin is great for hair regrowth but will NOT prevent hair loss.
    I've heard extra zinc can help, but haven't tried it. I was told that you can still lose hair no matter how much protein you're getting and even if you are taking your vitamins as recommended. For some people it's just unavoidable. I have read of at least a couple people who needed to resort to wigs and at least one of them has had excellent regrowth, stating that her hair is better now than before.
    Omg! Im so stressing out about losing my hair lol worth it if i get skinny but lol. The texture of my hair has gone realy dry and I cant make it look healthy even putting morrocon oil in it! Does the hair loss stop or are we all gonna be skinny and bald???????????????????