Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

LealScott

Just joined the YMCA

Rate this Entry
I am 4 weeks post op and, if anything, my back is worse. I was hoping that losing weight would help my back from when I suffered a terrible fall. I have lost about 60 pounds since the fall (almost 40 since joining the program and post op) and my back is still as awful as usual. I have a feeling it just isn't going to get better. I did PT, Massage Therapy, Chiropractor, accupuncture, steroid shots, pain meds, and maybe even more.

I was going to rejoin Curves but I am afraid of the machines so I am going to do the Y for their water aerobics and other water based classes. I know it will help with weight loss but I sure hope it helps with pain. Anyone else have good luck with water therapies?

Submit "Just joined the YMCA" to Digg Submit "Just joined the YMCA" to del.icio.us Submit "Just joined the YMCA" to StumbleUpon Submit "Just joined the YMCA" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Have you looked into whether there is a local PT center that does water therapy? They might be able to recommend exercises for you if you can get a consult. Hopefully the water will really help you!
    Good for you for joining the Y. There's not one near me. So, I joined Curves seven weeks post sleeve, with my doctor's approval.( That was last week.)I have been there four times now, and the machines are not a problem! It's a nice workout. I started out with one circuit instead of the usual two for the first week. This week, I did two, and it just made me feel really good. Nothing pulled or strained. I am doing this every other day. Next week, I plan to add the Curves Zumba class to my routine. It feels so good to exercise!
    You will love the water workouts! I have been doing aqua aerobic for about 10 years and love exercising in the water. The sweat rinses right off

Is it safe to assume you will be starting in shallow water classes? Just be sure to let you instructor know your back limitations--she/he will work with you on exercise modifications. Water walking is also a low joint stress workout.

Enjoy your class. I have to say my favorite part of class is the great friends that I have made.
    Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I used to do PT under worker's comp but once the case closed I couldn't go anymore. It didn't help with my pain though it also didn't hurt me. I just don't have money to pay out of pocket. My insurance doesn't have a water option for PT. I have done water aerobics several times over the years as a result of car wrecks or this fall so I know it will be okay. I wish I could do Curves because it was so darned easy and so effective. But at this time it's not worth the risk of a ruptured disk.

Once I meet my deadline then I can start at Curves. They have an 8:00 am option and a 4:30 one. I am hoping to get a work at home job like my last one and then I can work around my Y schedule.