Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

TonyaSitler

Sleeved? Right decision or not?

Rate this Entry
My surgery is in 3 weeks and I'm getting more nervous everyday. I'm wondering if I've made the right decision to go with the sleeve instead of bypass. Ive been hearing a lot on here about slow progress and some pretty long stalls. Honestly that scares me! I watched my husband have bypass 5 1/2 years ago, weighing in at 380 and approximately 1 1/2 yrs after weighed in at 140. I realize I don't have as much weight to lose as he did. My doctor said I can change my up until the day before my surgery. I'm confused! Help???

Submit "Sleeved? Right decision or not?" to Digg Submit "Sleeved? Right decision or not?" to del.icio.us Submit "Sleeved? Right decision or not?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sleeved? Right decision or not?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The sleeve is the best decision I have ever made for my health....stalls and all! I am almost 12 weeks out and had 2 stalls but that is ok, because I still have never lost nearly 40 pounds in 3 months. Also I would prefer to lose it at a more normal rate and hope for better results with my skin!!
    I understand how you feel, i had the lapband done in 2006 and lost a over 100lbs and was just starting to get adjusted to it and then it slipped and i had to have it removed in 2008. I have put all the weight back on over past 4 years and now i am heading back to mexico for the sleeve. I am also scared that it will not work or the weight will just come back again, but i guess we dont know if we dont try!!! my surgery is 24th of this month and i am getting nervous, my band was done in mexico so not to scared about that part! Wishing you all the luck in your dicision!
    I was in the same position as you weighing up between the bypass and sleeve and for me it come down to what the long term ramifications might be. I didn't like the fact that the bypass would be rerouting my digestive system and i could possibly have malabsorption issues etc. Also there isn't a huge difference in weightloss percentages between the 2 surgeries. For me the sleeve was less invasive and more of a set and forget procedure. I am at 6 weeks postop and have lost 38lbs thus far, 3 of those weeks i was in a stall but i kept losing inches off my body even though the scales hadn't moved and have gone down 3 dress sizes. I'm absolutely over the moon with my decision to have the sleeve it can only be onwards and downwards from here. Best of luck with your surgery
    I'm due in 10 days time. Same reasons as timeforchange, I prefer that the basic mechanisms of how my digestive system work stay intact, just the capacity is reduced, and also the production of the hunger hormone. I found the following abstract from a randomised trial with 3 years data:
    Randomized clinical trial of laparoscopic Roux-en-... [Obes Surg. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
    Good morning Tonya : )

I had the Sleeve May 1st 2012 and as of today I have lost over 70 lbs and still dropping. The sleeve is a Great tool for weight loss and pretty much affective in the goal you make for yourself. At the rate of weight loss i should be at my goal by my anniversary : )

So Good Luck on your decision either way you will make a great choice.
    I had the sleeve in August 2011 When I hit the 6 month post op I had lost 115 pounds . and here I am a year later and still have only lost them 115 pounds been at a stall for 7 months I exercise, I get my protein in drink atleast 64 oz of water a day and nothing...If I eat my 1200 calories a day like they said the next day I have gained 10 pounds if I eat around 600 I stay the same weight..If I take in kess than that I gain weight it is the craziest thing I have seen
    I just felt more comfortable with the sleeve, which I had last Wednesday. I am happy with my decision. I've been given a tool that's up to me to figure out how to use it. I'm excited to start my new adventure!!
    I hate the sleeve, I have had nothing but problems with it and regret it all together. But hey you can always get it and if it doesn't workout you can revert it to the bypass, but you can't to from the bypass to the sleeve
    We all have to make our own decision as to what surgery to have. It is true the surgery is only a tool and we will have to learn to use it as such. I personally believe the sleeve is the safer option.