Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

BBARB

just to remind me how low I got

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by BBARB View Post
I am considered a successful and beautiful woman with a great career and life. I still look at people like they are crazy when hear this because I see myself differently. Do not get me wrong I travel as I please and get recognition from my satisfying work and still dont feel happy at all. I never ever felt good about it nor happy. from outside I come across as a confident woman (I never let my weight stop me to wear a bikini and walk straight toward the pool, did I felt good in it ? no) However over time I was becoming bigger in bigger and slowly reduced my activities, my social life, my happiness and hope for future. A film of darkness covered my life little by little in such silent way that I did not realize it. Depression was slowly entering in my life and if someone would have asked if I were depressed I would have said no, because I never felt like I was (denial, ignorance). Depression is a bad beast that slowly eat you up from the inside and make everything look gray, makes you lose prospective and makes you lose piece and bits of life. deep down I was aware of how unhappy was making me not being able to lose weight, the frustration and the hurt when another diet failed. deep down I knew that I could not be happy cause I was exponentially getting fatter in fatter and could not stop it, I felt a failure, such a failure that no other success in my life was real since I could not tackle this problem. I was a 360 failure in my own eyes, and not even aware of it. I started to be very depressed and still not recognized it. I do not even know when I stopped walking and taking cabs to get anywhere. I could not walk nowhere, did not want to. I gave up. Of course my work benefited from me not going no-where anymore, taking in all the project and bury myself in the work so not to think and face all of this. I worked like a crazy to the point that on top of everything I got burnt out and had to face finally my depression. It was November October 2010. I was not able to face the real problem yet, but at least I tackled the burnt out and started therapy. I do not know when I gave up on me, but I did and this is the worst pain ever, knowing I gave up on myself! Once I got back on my feet and solved my acute phase I had to tackle the last big beast that was eating me alive. And that was the moment in which my doc magically told me about WLS and like I never heard it before I smiled thinking about hope. Initially of course I though that I would be the only one in the world to fail WLS from the first day. At a BMI of 56 I start to have hope. Of course I knew about WLS way before then but was not in the rescue myself mode I guess. And magically start to understand at that point, at the beginning of 2012 that I was depressed about my weight and incapability to get in control of it for years and did not realized or faced it. At the time point my life turned around, my brain cleared up and that horrible weight on my heart, soul and stomach was lift up all in once. In March I start to diet timidly in preparation for the Surgery. I educated my self and started the regimen I was suppose to have after surgery. I started to walk again, I start to look for all the tools I would need later. I start to do some workout. I had surgery MAy 29th at BMI of 50 after losing 30lb. I am two months post op and I lost 34 lb more at a BMI of 44 . Still going to my therapist and still telling her I am amazed to realize how bad depressed I was. Feeling better in better. I am happy because I am taking care of myself in the proper way. the first step was accepting that it was not just me failing at this and that obesity is a crazy hard cycle to break it, that you can consider it as a disease. I read book about it and felt less of a failure. My boss is a surgeon and once I talk to him about WLS he read my shame and frustration and he told me that I do belong to 94% of people that fail medically supervised diet. I am fianlly getting out of the longest tunnel ever. I am happy cause I am not giving up on my, on my life and family. I am opening my life to the beautiful things I always had and never being able to enjoy. I still think I am not beautiful or smart, but this is the challenge of my therapist

So yes I felt like you, I did for so long that I cannot even say it out loud without bursting in tears. Still have the fear of failing this, but I will fight for it, hell yes!

Submit "just to remind me how low I got" to Digg Submit "just to remind me how low I got" to del.icio.us Submit "just to remind me how low I got" to StumbleUpon Submit "just to remind me how low I got" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

This is one of the best posts that I have read since I have been on this site. You have expressed so beautifully what many many of us have felt. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
    Thanks Mila, and hope you will forgive my poor English. This is something I do not want to forget. that is why I blogged it. I do not want to forget I gave up on myself as a reminder for future challenges
    I agree with Mila, you have captured what so many of us feel! The feeling of no matter how successful you are at other things, you still feel like a complete failure because you cannot control your weight and what you eat. It becomes so all-consuming!
    thanks Chrissy. Well only this community can understand this. I was replying to a post of Mel and she was struggling with being happy about her life and I think she felt alone on this. But we all can understand.
    Amen! Yes we can, and you are right- only another person who has walked in your shoes most of their life can understand the feelings and struggle. For me it has been a life long battle & the sleeve is the tool to help me finally beat this beast into submission!!
    Still tho the fear of failing will be with me till I die !!!
    But I am fighting it and I believe it is all mental!!
    Oh yeah me too, and I agree. I have failed so many times at this, but I refuse this time. I didn't go through having 90% of my stomach removed to fail!! Doesn't mean I don't think about it though!
    Thank you for sharing, very brave. I can relate to most of what you said. We have the Italian connection. Best food in the world and incorporate it into all my meals. Best wishes in your journey. Ciao Lucia
    Ciao Lucia. I know I can only eat italian even now after 10 years
    What courage! I am still trying to build mine-
    Thank you for sharing. I completely feel the same.
    BB,

What a beautiful post. I cried as I read it, identifying with your words and your struggle. I love your writing style, you have so much heart. A very beautiful heart, at that! I "hear" your delightful accent in your writing. It adds to your charm, so don't feel bad about how you write. Your intelligence shines through like the sun. Lovely, lovely lady, I am so proud that you have the courage and the caring to share your thoughts and expereince with all of us. If I was with you right now, I would give you a hug!
    Thank you, you are Beautiful inside and out. I understand the shame you have lived with in silence, thank you so much for sharing it with us all, it helps us all a little more to know that we are not alone with these feelings. Love Rainbow
    MsThang and hnybun128
    Thanks you for your comments. It is a struggle that we lived and live for so long that it will always be part of us. we all share it and we are brave for being here considering of already have WLS to escape from this.

OOOWEEBABY!
    Thank you so much for your compliments. Man, I got an accent even in my writing!!
    I felt your hug! thanks you

Rainbow, thanks you for your words. We are alone in this despite the supports of friends and beloved ones, but no one can realy be part of this and understand it as we are, after living this feeling for so long.

thanks you all for understanding me and for spreading such warm words. Hugs BB
    WOW !! i could have wrote this post !! BEAUTIFUL , THANKS for this!! puts lots in prospective !! i have never seen my life in that way !! but u hit it nail now !!
    You read my life with your words. I, too, gave up on myself. I knew that I was a few years from dying but, somehow, there was no answer within me. I had not succeeded in taking care of myself. I couldn't succeed - I comforted myself with food. So I poured everything into my work and my daughter, became a recluse and started taking antidepressants.
    Now, after getting sleeved on June 13th, I am beginning to look at life a little differently. Now I think I will be around for grandchildren and retirement. I am just beginning to peek out from my cave and see the sun again. And it feels good!
    Thank you so much for sharing so eloquently what so many of us have dealt with and the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Hugs
    Your soul is beautiful. You write what we feel. Others can not understand, I gave up on myself too but in deciding this journey-our journey, my journey, I choose me. I have twin granddaughters now and they are my heart and make me want to be more, do more and have more. I feel we are all strong-this is not easy but we can do this. Take care of yourself.
    thank you Sassy Kathy and Gale.
    Thank you all, I appreciate you reading this post and it is an amazing feeling knowing that we are not alone anymore. We can be understood and this feeling is pure joy and light
    I have been reading this forum pretty faithfully since january and began my 6work months of hoop jumping in febuary. I am currently just waiting on insurance approval and your post here simply reaffirmed the necessity of wls for me. There are several ofi have followed along in your journeys and Bbarb I wish you lived in my neighborhood!!! Continued success to you all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelycarnage
    I have been reading this forum pretty faithfully since january and began my 6work months of hoop jumping in febuary. I am currently just waiting on insurance approval and your post here simply reaffirmed the necessity of wls for me. There are several ofi have followed along in your journeys and Bbarb I wish you lived in my neighborhood!!! Continued success to you all!
    I was wondering how the journey is going? Hope to hear from you