Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

ruinessx9701

3 Month Post-Op Visit

Rate this Entry
Had my three month post op visit today. Labs drawn, everything is perfect except for my iron, which is very low. Odd, but whatever. I hate iron supplements. Wierdest part of the visit was when she said she thinks that im a bit too focused on protein. I am averaging between 80-100 grams per day and she said based on my height, I shouldnt be going over 80 grams per day really. She said that long term wise, too much protein can be as harmful as not enough. I have been drinking two protein shakes per day at about 200 calories each with 31 grams of protein each. She said that I should add a fruit or vegetable in place of the protein shake to add calories. The thing that worries me is that im only getting about 600-800 calories per day as it is so if I decrease a shake, that puts me at 400-600 per day. Adding a fruit or vegetable is not going to blance out 200 calories. Her response to that was that im no where near where my calorie intake should be anyway so I shouldnt worry about it. I know its going to be a long time till I am able to consume the 1100 per day she says I should based on size, but at this point it seems totally impossible. Oh well, one day at a time, right?

Submit "3 Month Post-Op Visit" to Digg Submit "3 Month Post-Op Visit" to del.icio.us Submit "3 Month Post-Op Visit" to StumbleUpon Submit "3 Month Post-Op Visit" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I assume you were talking to your nutritionist? My NUT is tiny and I know she is educated and I know she tries to constantly keep up with the most recent literature but dang, she has no idea what this surgery is actually like to go through. I read on this site where people 8 months out are struggling to get in 1000 calories daily. So do your best and that's all you can possibly do.
    Snack on peanut butter.... high in calories but healthy for you. Has protein but not too much protein. I use peanut butter as my calorie booster I don't care for the protein shakes, so I am currently eating all me protein - a bit of a task, especially since high protein seems to equal low calories. I have a hard time imagining 1000+ calories too. But I guess we will get there eventually. I think ideally we want to be above 800 cals once we are eating solids. Right now I struggle to get 600 in, but my Dr. says that right now there is no min cals for me... that my stomach doesn't have the capacity to eat a whole lot of calories yet.
    I keep my protein level at 80, and shakes help. I think my cal. intake is prob. 800 average. So far so good, it is all a juggeling act in the early stages, I just try to do the best I can with what I have. Good luck to all.
    I didn't count anything, but i have always heard that fruit has LOTS of calories, so increasing fruit should be able to easily replace the calories of protein shake! That being said Juice is even higher in concentrated calories (which is why i AVOID it) Also Dried fruit has even more concentrated calories then regular fruit! So she was right don't worry about not getting enough calories, Fruit has way more then protein! i Sometimes nibble on yogurt covered raisins!
    They told me 60-70 g of protein day. I've been having a shake for breakfast and rely on food for the rest. My doc also has these packets of koolaid type drinks called Proti that I put it in my water and sip on it all day. I've struggled to know if Im eating too many or not enough calories. I usually get about 800 a day. And then came my lovely plateau...hopefully wont last long! Good Luck i'm sure you'll figure it out. This is a huge learning experience for all of us!
    You will burn fruit faster than protein and likely have a little more room than before. I would try for at least a couple of weeks. Let us know!
    Thanks for the support ladies!! Forgot to mention that I weighed in at exactly 200 at the appointment so maybe onderland tomorrow or Thursday???