Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

midnight

Just wondering

Rate this Entry
I was told I could not have corn or peas anymore. I see alot of posts about split pea soup. I love split pea soup is it okay to eat it or does it expand in your stomach.

Submit "Just wondering" to Digg Submit "Just wondering" to del.icio.us Submit "Just wondering" to StumbleUpon Submit "Just wondering" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I don't have either one of those on my do not eat list. I have eaten peas since my surgery last night actually was the first time and I didn't have any issues. I don't believe peas expand once eaten. That's just what I know but you will need to check with your Dr. or Nutritionist to see why you can't have them. Not a corn eater anyway so really can't answer that one.
    They weren't on my not to eat list either, maybe for the first couple of months but not forever. So long as you chew everything up till it's really mushy it doesn't matter what you eat really.
    I've never heard that you aren't supposed to eat either of those. I'm sure the soup is fine. I don't think they expand.
    I don't believe it to be an issue of expansion but that the "hull" surrounding the vegetable does not digest. Think about it after you've eaten corn and then had a bowel movement . . . not trying to be gross but I think that's the reason. Also, those are starchy vegetables that will turn into sugar in your system so you may not want to have a lot of it. Just chew, chew, chew well and don't go overboard in the amount you have. As for the split pea soup, I don't believe those "hulls" are on dry peas.
    I ate split pea soup when I was on pureed foods and it digested fine. I have also had corn,but little bits that might be in other foods I ate.
    Thank you. I am so greatful for this site. You guys are great.
    I was never told this either...Have eaten both, no issues :-)
    I love split pea soup! it is a great consistency and good source of protein. Of course Gas can be an issue as with any beans, but i usually take precautions with Beano or Rolaids-plus!
    I am 5 months out fo surgery and have eaten both with no problem
    I just looked at my "study guide" that I received from my surgeon's office. It says to avoid starchy veggies during the liver shrinking diet (corn, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes & lima beans). It doesn't say not to eat them though.