Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

VSGOct2011

Back from Cuba! Tanned, Toned & hit my 1/2 way goal of 75 lbs lost!

Rate this Entry
I've been absent from the forum for the past few weeks as I was enjoying the beautiful beaches of Santa Maria (Santa Clara) Cuba. I had a fabulous 2 weeks at the Memories Azul resort and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, affordable all inclusive vacation. I had the tough decision each day of deciding which of the 7 pools, or area by the ocean I would relax at. I also had the difficult task of choosing which of 7 ala carte restaurants or 4 buffets we'd dine at...Ah, decisions, decisions.

The one I'm most proud of was the decision to take the 3 hour hike up the mountain in El Cuban National Park which ended in a spectacular cascading waterfall and cliffs we dove off. 6 months ago I'd have gotten winded walking off the tour bus that dropped us off there. I was able to make it to the top of the hike and do the dives without any winding at all! It was an incredible feeling to reach the top and the reward of diving into that cool clear water was worth the effort! VSG surgery has made such a difference in helping me live my life fully! Daily I say a prayer thanking God for guiding me to Dr Alvarez and for the gift this has been to me and my family.

Many posts have been made about drinking alcohol and dining out. Both were things I did during this vacation and I was able to make the 'best possible' choices in each of these situations...Yes, I drank and I was still able to lose weight on vacation. I didn't get wrecked or overdo it, but I had a few. I went for drinks which were 'ice slush' based and added the good Cuban rum to them. I also had a few which were made with pineapple or orange juice & rum. As for the restaurants, I chose protein first, eating lobster, fish, chicken, beef, etc first, and added veggies and the occasional cheat with a piece of dessert. I moved lots, swam, ran on the beach, and the resort was pretty big so got lots of exercise walking around and doing stairs there. Of course, the resorts all have lots of dancing and I learned a few new moves, including salsa, reggae, samba, etc.

Vacation done - back to work in the morning...
Weight lost during trip - 8 lbs,
Weight loss goal achieved - 1/2 way to goal! -75 lbs so far!
Mountain climbed -
Time spent with family - Priceless

Submit "Back from Cuba! Tanned, Toned & hit my 1/2 way goal of 75 lbs lost!" to Digg Submit "Back from Cuba! Tanned, Toned & hit my 1/2 way goal of 75 lbs lost!" to del.icio.us Submit "Back from Cuba! Tanned, Toned & hit my 1/2 way goal of 75 lbs lost!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Back from Cuba! Tanned, Toned & hit my 1/2 way goal of 75 lbs lost!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Awesome post, congrats so far and keep up the good work. You go girl..........
    Wow, sounds like a wonderful vacation....AND lost 8 lbs to boot!! Great job!
    Sounds like an amazing 2 weeks! I'm totally jealous. Congrats on doing things previously impossible and living life to the fullest. Good luck on the rest of your journey.
    Sounds amazing and I can't wait to go to Outerbanks and climb some sand dunes; somthing I couldn't do the last time I was there and promised myself that I would do someday. Also, I might like to try parasailing this time since I don't feel like the "Goodyear Blimp" anymore. It sounds like you had an awesome time as it should be on vacation.
    Sounds like a wonderful vacation! Its amazing how much exercise can be achieved during a relaxing vacation. Its actually not exercise, its being active and having fun! Also, very easy to go protien first when one of your options is lobster
    How awesome!!! that is a very encouraging post. continue doing what you do!!!
    I leave tomorrow morning for Santa Clara! We are also going to Santa Maria, staying at Melia Cayo Santa Maria. I just booked my VSG yesterday, my surgery date is March 15th!
    Thanks for all the support folks! I love hearing about everyone else's NSVs too!

@ live and learn - its a beautiful beach with the softest sand your toes will ever touch. I'll be praying you don't get fog at the Santa Clara airport like we did...we ended up having to land in Varadero and take a 6 hr bus ride to Santa Maria from Varadero. The return was even more snaffled due to fog. Saw the Melia resort and it looks beautiful. We did the dolphinarium/catamaran and the Topes/Trinidad overnight tours which I would recommend both if you get a chance to do either. Have fun!
    Thanks everyone! I love to hear about everyone's NSVs too!

@ live and learn - its the softest sand your toes will ever touch! We did the Catamaran/dolphinarium and Topes Overnight excursions which were both worth it if you get the chance. Can't wait to hear about your trip!
    Thanks everyone! I love to hear about everyone's NSVs too!

@ live and learn - its the softest sand your toes will ever touch! We did the Catamaran/dolphinarium and Topes Overnight excursions which were both worth it if you get the chance. Can't wait to hear about your trip!