Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

manzerick

Mixed Emotions ~ closing in on goal weight ~

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Goal weight has been the enchanted spirit. It lulls me with its sweet song, and gently dance. I look at it, and long to be with it. To have my true love, the one thing I desire…. The ever so sexy goal weight, how I lust for the!!

Ok, maybe that’s the Hollywood version but, I know I’m not alone with the way the target number on the scale has been in my mind. I do push for it but understand health is my goal. I aim to reach it but, will not “cut corners” such as not eating or, making unhealthy decisions to get there.

What am I even saying?

I am a mixed bag of emotions right now. This morning, I was 238, and realized I’m 8 pounds away from goal. This is the goal that January 2013 seemed like a dream. It was a goal that even with the cute slides the doctor presented that said “You can lose up to 90% of access body weight blah blah”, it was still not so real to me. It was a dream.

This morning, I had such great feelings but… One feeling took over. Sadness

I was sad this leg of the journey was hopefully ending in a number of weeks/months. I was sad, this part was exciting to me. I wanted to set my last goal for my bday, 5/7 but, got uber sad. I don’t know why. This time, I will let it roll without a deadline until 5/7, and see where I am.

I always think “if XYZ happens, I will be happy”. It was weight all the time. Being close to where I want to be, I am very happy, but not satisfied. The goal is 10 years of keeping it off. Well, that’s the “goal weight” to me. From this writing, you can see the jumbled mess of emotions I am right now. I really can’t explain it. It’s like the power of two years at this, and seeing the mountain move. I still suffer from “overweight brain”. I feel I am still 400lbs sometimes. I make comments about “us big people” sometimes, and get smacked to my new reality.

So, I conclude this jumble of post with hope. I feel so alive, so human, and so accepted in society, I can’t escape my thoughts on making this the norm for anyone. So much pressure from all over, and yet no acceptance that obesity is a real disease, where the person is almost powerless to become the “normal” others are blessed to have.

My feelings are: happy, confused, giddy, bouncy, sad, concerned, loved, blissful, scared, hopeful, damaged. The last word “Damaged”, that could even be the only word to describe me. I am damaged. Years of obesity have done a job on my sellf worth, self respect, and my confidence. Granted, the confidence has come back but, the deep feelings of regret, self shame, and all those “worthless” feelings pop their little heads up from time to time. If you are obese and reading this, you know the “shame”. Writing these words, I have to choke back tears. It’s hard to say and acknowledge it to be true. Shedding the access weight does not shed these access thoughts!

Hard work, and dedication to your craft will rid you of the negatives. In my life, I stink at Zumba, I was terrible at Spin class, and honestly, had no right being in a vbarre class. I say this with pride because these are activities I have been able to sustain. I was able to pick up the lacrosse stick, and play with guys who have not stopped playing for 20 years since college. Running with them, not chasing. Playing with them, not being a liability on the field. Those things give me the strength to raise up from the ashes, and get my brain in the right place! I babble because these thoughts are fighting to get out, and if I do not document them, I will lose these thoughts forever.

I always say “if one person reads ANYTHING I write, and find a connection to better their life, I am humbled and grateful for the opportunity to help” I am the struggle. I live it every day. If anything, I am the struggle in disguise. But, I know I am just a few steps away from relapse, and will not get smug or over confident. Hard work, grit, and blue coller spirit got me here. I can’t coast even in year 10.

The blood… the sweat… the tears.. they all pave the road to success. Once you stop providing those materials, the road will shrivel and be unpassable. DON’T EVER MAKE YOUR ROAD UNPASSABLE!!

I leave you with a song that has been stuck in my head for a long while:

I still fall on my face sometimes and I
Can't color inside the lines 'cause
I'm perfectly incomplete
I'm still working on my masterpiece and I
I wanna hang with the greatest gotta
Way to go, but it's worth the wait, no
You haven't seen the best of me
I'm still working on my masterpiece and I

One Love

I also, I am so scared of my book. I have told NO ONE about my surgery, and they assume my past athletic background go me here. Any thoughts for you folks would be great!!

Submit "Mixed Emotions ~ closing in on goal weight ~" to Digg Submit "Mixed Emotions ~ closing in on goal weight ~" to del.icio.us Submit "Mixed Emotions ~ closing in on goal weight ~" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mixed Emotions ~ closing in on goal weight ~" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wow - you said it all. Well said Manzerick. People tell me I look great, I'm down 90 lbs. They say, don't you feel so happy? Aren't you thrilled? Yes, I'm happy I lost a lot of weight but just the fact of losing weight hasn't made me any happier as a person. I wasn't any less happy when I was a 46 BMI. Yes, I fit into a 12-14 pants now instead of 22W but I'm still the same person who gets sad from time to time and who doesn't have a great self image after years of eating myself into oblivion.
    My barber ALWAYS tells the room of people "Hey guys.. this guy lost 200 pounds and looks great!!"..

you know the next question I get from the Peanut Gallery "How did you do it?"

Well, I don't tell anyone anything but "Eat less, and exercise more" .. Not a lie. that is the formula.

I feel he's telling these people after I leave what I did. I know, I know, time for a new barber. My thought "time for a new way of thinking". This is my reality. I did have a sleeve.

Someday, I feel I will be open. I just know today isn't that day.
    Thanks for the post! I'm at the very beginning of the journey at just a 3 weeks post op. Hugs to you!
    @ manzerick, I totally understand. only a handful of people know about my surgery and honestly I am just not at the point where I want to share. I don't know if I will ever be at that point! and you are right, we are eating less " much less" and exercising more..for me a lot more!! Congrats on your great job!
    Thanks for this post. I am not as happy as I thought I would be after losing the weight. I'm now scared to death that I will gain it back. Losing was fun like going down a sliding board but now that I have lost most of what I am going to lose I have to work hard to maintain. It's almost a full-time job making sure I'm drinking enough, am I getting all my protein, have I eaten enough vegetables today, did I take my vitamins, my Biotin, my Calcium, my Prilosec, have I gone over my calorie budget for the day? I feel that I am in my own mental prison and no one even knows. I see my therapist tonight because I'm still the same person, with the same issues as before but now my stomach is smaller and so am I. I won't even allow myself to be happy because I'm so afraid of failing and letting everyone down. It's crazy, I know! In my mind I was a failure at weight loss and even though I lost the weight I am still a failure and will regain this weight soon. Good luck to you and everyone else going through this journey. It is not easy, even after the weight comes off.
    Holy shit this post couldn't come at a better time...as usual manz you've hit the nail on the head. I've got another 40 to go but these thoughts of being damaged haunt my everyday...it's like a corner of my brain that has these thoughts in reservation. AND NO ONE GETS IT OUTSIDE OF THIS FORUM! That's the frustrating thing, I have no reinforcement from anyone, it's like this was an expected move on my part...they have no idea that I'm still 240lbs in the head...they have no idea that it's a struggle everyday to no pick the wrong foods, drink the water and take in the protein first...they joke and say I should go and buy nutria system food cause it's all I can eat anyway...the day to day struggle with feeling like I've accomplished something like loosing 44.4 lbs forever isn't sinking into my brain...I'm scared to death that im gonna wake up and it was just a joke...your posts seem to fit right when im going through the same feelings...I was thinking that this road were all on seems anti climactic...the hype and excitement of having this procedure then recovery and the difficulty of all the stages of food and learning to listen to your sleeve, those were things to preoccupy our minds to the real thoughts of how do I get rid of this emotional baggage,,,this stuff can't be cut away and taken out through a hole in my stomach...I want to be genuinely happy and celebrate this amazing transformation but I can't get the fat dana out of my head. God if I could only feel what it's like to be thinner,healthier and sexier from a non fat stand point maybe I could compare it to one of my inner feelings and see if I even have it in me to feel this way or am I destined to be on point and looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life?
    Thanks for your post, it's great to know IM NOT ALONE! you have an excellent way of saying what I can't always get out...I'm not holding back tears and yes it's because I can relate...my alpha exterior hides much of my meek and self loathing personality on the inside...
    Keep posting cause YOU ARE A GREAT PERSON AND I'm privileged to read your posts.
    You never have to justify how you've lost your weight to anyone...it was your choice alone to do for you so don't worry about your book...I would just worry about how many copies are gonna fly off the shelves...I expect mine autographed...lol
    I also am very guarded with who I tell about the surgery. I find myself able to tell other "big" people, but not the skinny ones. I have a lot of guilt. I am in smaller clothes than one of my daughters, my sister is still morbidly obese and I have some friends who are also. They almost don't want to talk to me about their struggles. My answer to anyone about how I feel is....Healthy. I feel Healthy. When someone says "oh my god, you look amazing, I mean amazing" I want to ask if I looked like a heathen troll before? I was fat. I still am in my head. But I will live longer now. I can run, I don't have to seek out the strongest chair in the place, fear the plane seatbelts, wonder what people say when I leave the room.
    I guess, if you wanted any advice, or needed any advice on your feelings would be to embrace your feelings and thoughts. They are yours and you OWN them. No one can tell you how you should feel. Writing is therapeutic. Write and Write, then put it away. Close the door to the bad feelings. I am 4lbs from a goal weight that I thought I would never get to. I think, I may change it. I may go for another 5lbs after this. I don't know. We always have to have goals. Something to reach for. Good luck to you and thank you for a beautifully written cluster of emotions. I appreciated it very much. Liz
    Wow - this is a fantastic post - thank you so much for it! Obviously I haven't had surgery yet and I'm much more of a lurker at this point instead of a poster. I'm not very good with words but you my friend have pretty much summed up the last 30 years of my life. I have been sharing a lot of posts with my husband of almost four years and he ask me if I was going to blog my journey and do before and after pictures, etc. and I guess I must have looked at him funny - at that point I realized that up to this point I've only told my mother, my children, my boss and my mother-in-law that I was even having this surgery. I'm not sure why I'm keeping it a secret - I've never been one to care what anybody thought of me. Your post, Mr. Manzerick, has given me some great food for thought. I'm simply amazed at the outpouring of support and caring that I have found on this site - it's all so very helpful and so inspiring to hear that you are not alone in this battle/journey. Thank you everyone!
    The one great thing about damaged people.... We know how to survive.
    Xo
    WOW!!! What a great post. I feel better just for reading it. If a funny thing how a lot of us seem to feel alone about these feelings. Thank you.
    Wonderful post. You made me cry.

I haven't been sleeved that long but I can already sense a lot of what you're talking about. All of us here have issues that go deeper than just a love of food. This journey should be just as much about learning what those issues are and how to conquer them as it is about losing weight. How do we do that? Hell if I know... Will we struggle and have to fight hard to beat those demons the rest of our life? Probably. It's sad and a little discouraging but the strong among us prove it can be done and that it's worth it. And you definitely fit in that category.

Thanks for voicing what so much of us are feeling. And for setting a great example of someone who is very self aware and focused. You are an inspiration.