Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

xo.lillybean.ox

Discouraged needing Advice Helpful tips? Any advice would be so wonderful!

Rate this Entry
Hello I'm Nicole I'm 24 years old and Edmonton Alberta, Canada.
wls is covered here but you have to go through this really long program!!
A year and half ago is when I first started talking to my doctor! I was on a waiting list to get into the program for about 8 months! Now its the waiting game..
Its a great program! I do agree that wls is a big deal but I'm getting so discouraged!!
When I first started I was so excited and motivated I wanted to do anything and everything to get the OK by the 5 different doctors!! " Annoying part"!! A sociologist already gave the OK now I just have to get the other four to agree! I'm sick of waiting so I decided I'm throwing the never getting it done thinking out the window! I'm going to change everything about the way I live because what's the point of learning it after surgery? I want to be 100% ready and prove to them that I'm ready now! So I have A lot of questions for everyone!! Ready ? (:

Vitamins-
where do you get yours and which ones ? A list of vitamins would be really wonderful!

Protein powder-
did you get samples? What website did you order from?What's your favorite brand and flavor? How do you twick it ? What is your favorite recipe?

Food-
what is your favorite breakfast lunch dinner snack protein bars ? Where do you find recipes? Any really good web sits I'm so confused

Helpful tools-
what step counter do you use? Do you like the fitbit?
Any helpful tools you used? Things you just couldn't live with out?
Any helpful rules you gave yourself?
Any advice would be so helpful!

I'm waiting tell the end of march then if I don't feel any closer I kinda think I'm going to start looking into Mexico I wont tell my doctors here ill just have it as a back up plan what dose everyone think? I'm so over Waiting I'm so ready to just start my new life on the sleeved side! Any advice will be so appreciated ! Do you know of any other really good blog sites like this ? I want to get as much information as possible
Thanx Nicole (: xo

Submit "Discouraged needing Advice Helpful tips? Any advice would be so wonderful!" to Digg Submit "Discouraged needing Advice Helpful tips? Any advice would be so wonderful!" to del.icio.us Submit "Discouraged needing Advice Helpful tips? Any advice would be so wonderful!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Discouraged needing Advice Helpful tips? Any advice would be so wonderful!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You sound like me. AND honestly, I over-prepared. I have tons of protein powders and vitamins that I bought b/c I liked how they tasted pre-op. Post-op, they were GROSS to me. Your taste buds will change!

My go-to items are Premiere protein shakes - chocolate (and I hated chocolate anything pre-op). They have 30 grams of protein per shake and not a lot of calories. I HATED eggs my entire life but now have 1 scrambled every morning w/cheese.

My favorite websites for info related to VSG were the following. I have not tried them lately so, I apologize in advance if they no longer work.
    - My Gastric Sleeve: Food and Drink
    - Bariatric Advice & Support: Protein, Vitamins & Nutritional Recipes
    - theworldaccordingtoeggface
    - Weight Loss Surgery, Minimally Invasive Surgery & Cosmetic Surgery in Atlanta, Georgia | Peachtree Surgical & Bariatrics
    - http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery....astrectomy.pdf
    - Journey to a Healthier Me: My Protein Book
    - http://www.northwestobesitysurgery.c...ctomy-diet.pdf
    - Living After Weight Loss Surgery
    - Living Well / Eating Well after VSG

My FAV homemade shake recipe: http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/b...r-shake-d.html
    Thanks N2DVN...Good information!
    N2DVN sounds about right dont over plan your taste buds will change fast. For me the doctor I had said i could use things like Carnation Instant breakfast shakes and dry powdered milk so I never ordered protein powders. Now I wouldnt drink one if you paid me but they are part of the process. When it comes to food I eat "Clean" now so nothing processed at all no protein shakes or bars nothing that isnt home made from real natural ingredients. (you said you are changing everything this is how i changed my outlook on food) As for fitness type stuff the ONLY exercise I do is yoga and its been the most helpful thing I ever tried.
    Yoga - Free Online Courses this is my favorite site to get yoga calsses free online and they are only like 5-10 mins sessions so its not a huge jump into an hour long thing. I remember when i was younger and big trying to lose doing all kinds of strenuous exercise trying to lose and nothing helped until I found Yoga now there is no stress when i exercise and I can do it anywhere and anytime.
    Sounds like to me you are gonna make this happen so I bet if you just keep that attitude the waiting game will end and you will be on the sleeved side soon. Best of luck to you and keep a positive attitude Believe YOU WILL get there and YOU WILL!.
    Thanks N2DVN for taking the time to share those links! I saved them all.

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I use myFitnessPal to track activity and my Fitbit band. My Nut gave me good free samples of powders and drinks. So far I really like Premier Protein drinks, but as everyone says your tastes may change. I have to drink them a week before my surgery so I've been researching. Some of the below may be outdated, but its a good place to start.
    List of Bariatric Nutritional companies offering Free Samples! - Protein, Vitamins, and Supplements - ************

Best of luck to you!!
    I also advise to not go overboard on the protein shake more than what you will eat pre surgery. Not only do taste buds change post surgery, but it is not unusual for people to develop new intolerances, like for lactose.

Personally, I can no longer ingest sugar alcohol. And while many people love the premiere shakes, I am allergic to something in them and they make me seriously ill for hours after just a few sips.

Quest protein bars are a good choice. They are available in a number of flavors. And thankfully not all have sugar alcohol.

Finding an unflavored protein powder you can stand is worthwhile to add to your broth, sauces, gravy, yogurt, etc.

As for vitamins, you'll need a good multivitamin. I can do pills but some doctors say chewable only. I take centrum for women. You will also need Vitamin D and B12 supplements. I would check with your surgeon for dosage. You will also probably need to take calcium supplements. I take Adore dark chocolate calcium - it's like high quality dark chocolate and satisfies any cravings I may have because I can eat two a day.

I also take a probiotic, recommended by my surgeon, and fiber chews.

The world according to Egg Face website has a lot of great recipes. Also google atkins, low-carb, paleo, diabetic, and ketosis recipes.

Generally, I stay high protein, low carb and very low sugar because that is what works for me. Others have no problems with carbs/starches, but they make me have cravings and they just plain don't work with my sleeve. I am for 60-80 g protein a day, though eventually I'll need to get back to 100g (pre surgery I was at 125g a day on doc's orders to build up my stores to help me through those first weeks post op). I keep my carbs below 60 a day - 30 most days. And sugar below 25, though usually it is well under 10.

I also eat as clean as possible. Because we eat less, I can splurge on grass-feed and free range meat and still save money. I also stick to fresh veggies or frozen when not in season. Occasionally I'll have some berries or a greek yogurt, but it is pretty much meat and veggies. I don't fear good fats - I cook with grass-feed beef butter (Kerrygold), coconut oil, and extra virgin olive oil.

Oh check out XeroSports. They have high fiber (like 20 g)/high protein (24-26 g) "bread" products like bread and bagels. I keep some of those in the freezer for when I want "bread". They toast well and kill the craving. P28 also has high protein (28g) items but the fiber count isn't as high and there are loads more carbs in them so I avoid that - though I admit P28 is tastier than XeroSport.

Another staple I have is sharataki noodles for when I want pasta. They are made from yam flour and tofu and have only like 3 carbs for 8 oz. (which is like 4 meals for me now!). You can usually find them with the other tofu products in the produce section of the grocery store. Of course they are WAY cheeper if you have access to an Asian market.

I drink lots of water and decaf tea. I do indulge in a small glass of dry red wine now and then. I don't drink sugary drinks, caffeine or anything fizzy.

I measure and track everything I eat. I have for 5 years (I was lap banded before I was sleeved. I lost a total of 118 pounds so far between the two.)

Personally, for me, it doesn't work long term to keep my body in starvation mode. I am for a net 1200 calories a day. This means I "eat back" any calories I burn in exercise. My Fitness Pal is great for helping you calculate that.

Wow. I wrote a lot. lol. But I hope it helps. As you will discover, everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you. So many people on this forum have had great success following different plans, so don't be afraid to experiment until you find the right plan for you!