Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

katiem

Seven months out ... first time on in a LONG time!

Rate this Entry
Hi all. Anyone remember me? I haven't been on in ages... almost 4 months. Things have been crazy in my life, which is a great thing, right? My toddler keeps me busy, I work full time, and it's been a beautiful summer here in Michigan (not too hot, not too cold).

I just wanted to share my progress so far, especially with you newbies. I know it's stressful as you're waiting for surgery and right after. Is this the right choice? Is it worth it?

Yes, my darlings. It is.

Here are some of my stats:
HW: 318
SW: 293
CW: 204
Starting Size: 24-26/3X/8.5W shoe
Current Size: 16-18/XL or L/8M shoe

I've been stalled for about 7 weeks, which happens. My first stall I FREAKED. This one, I'm pretty passive about. It'll go away. I'm still losing inches and I feel great, so life goes on. My only beef is that I wish I had stalled at 199 and not 204, lol I know a lot of people stall right before they hit ONE-derland, so I'm pretty calm about it.

I eat normal food now - it DOES get better. Promise. I have an aversion to chicken breast and pork, probably because it's all I ate the first few months. I've always been the type of person to not eat leftovers or the same thing all the time, so this isn't something new. I eat a lot of tuna, beef, ground turkey, eggs, cheese, beans and nuts. I'll occasionally eat a protein bar or make a shake, but most of my protein comes from food. I'm generally around 60-75 grams a day, and find myself at about 800-1,000 calories.

So, some NSVs (which are more important that the numbers, honestly):

I work out 5 days a week, which I NEVER could have done before. 3 days/week I do 30 minutes on the elliptical and 40 minutes of weight training. The other 2 days I do 60 minutes on the elliptical. I've noticed lots of muscle forming under my skin, so here's to hoping my skin tightens up soon!

I am averaging about 8,000-9,000 steps a day, which is up from the 3,500 I started with. (I work a desk job 40+ hours a week).

I cross my legs all the time. Is this a big deal? Nope. Do I love it? Yep!

I play with my toddler - hard. We run, we go for walks, we dance and hop around. I'm not tired, I'm not slow. It's amazing.

Sex is fun. No icky details, but it is. (My boobs are like deflated balloons, though. Thank God for push up bras.)

I meet new people and don't think "OMG, they're going to judge me because I'm the fattest person they know". I'm happy and confident, and it definitely shows.

I fit comfortably in chairs, go through turnstiles with ease, shop in "regular" stores, and even wear my friend's jacket, which I assured her would never fit me because I'm fat, then zipped up with room to spare. Viola! It was magical.

I still want to lose... definitely. However, I'm happy with how far I've come. At first, I was caught up in the "well, so-and-so lost 40 pounds in the first three months and I've only lost 32..." but I realized that it's my journey, not theirs. If you're comparing yourself, please stop. It doesn't help. It just stresses you out.

Ok... so here's the fun part... PICS It's so weird how I LOVE having my picture taken now, lol.

Day I came home from surgery and three weeks ago:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (6).JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	515.5 KB 
ID:	20822

Two weeks after surgery and a month ago:

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	291 
Size:	513.5 KB 
ID:	20824

Two weeks after surgery and a month ago:

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	458.6 KB 
ID:	20825

Vacation with my hubby:

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	20826

Visiting a dairy farm with my daughter (clearly I like this shirt, lol):

Name:	photo (5).JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	20823

My incredible shrinking face :

Name:	photo (7).JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	609.5 KB 
ID:	20828

So, that's that. If you're having a hard time, please keep your chin up! It's a bumpy ride, but it's totally worth it. (hug)

Submit "Seven months out ... first time on in a LONG time!" to Digg Submit "Seven months out ... first time on in a LONG time!" to del.icio.us Submit "Seven months out ... first time on in a LONG time!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Seven months out ... first time on in a LONG time!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thank you for the inspiration! I am only 2 weeks out but love to hear how people are doing further on their journey. You are beautiful!
    Awesome!!! thank you so much for the encouragement! i am 9 1/2 weeks out and feeling better every day... walking and strength training. loving my new sleeved life but anxious to progress!
    Awesome!!!!!
    You are beautiful. I am 4 weeks out. I cannot wait to see the difference your are a inspiration!
    I'm impressed with how long you can be on the Elliptical. I tried and its very hard to do. So im hoping once I lose more weight I can stay on it longer. I do however spend about a hour on my exercise bike taking in about 6-8 miles each time. I try to do this twice a day. Plus I do some cardio for my upper part.
    Thank you for sharing. Your happiness definitely comes through in your post. Our pre-surgery weights were almost identical, so it's great to see the progress and the difference in your pictures. Your face looks totally different! You are a beautiful lady! And your daughter is so fortunate that you did this now so you can be around and an active mommy with her! Keep up the good work!
    You look gorgeous!! I remember reading your blog when I was first starting out ( I am 4.5 months post op now) and it's awesome to see how well you are doing!
    You just made my day, minutes, hour, week, month....whatever...it just makes me smile on your success!
    Your enthusiasm is contagious. You look fabulous but more importantly, you feel fabulous. It shows! I have one question. How did you do with the hair loss? I haven't gotten there yet but with already too thin, fine hair I am a little concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by paula0804
    Thank you for the inspiration! I am only 2 weeks out but love to hear how people are doing further on their journey. You are beautiful!
    Thank you! I was so nervous my first few weeks... all of the worrying about fluids, protein, "can I eat this yet? will my stomach explode?" (ps - it won't) will all fade away and life will go back to normal. Have a great day
    Quote Originally Posted by kenziesmom_2000
    Awesome!!! thank you so much for the encouragement! i am 9 1/2 weeks out and feeling better every day... walking and strength training. loving my new sleeved life but anxious to progress!
    It's so awesome you're starting early! I waiting until I was six months out to do any real exercise, and I wish I had started as soon as you are. Way to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianna90610
    You are beautiful. I am 4 weeks out. I cannot wait to see the difference your are a inspiration!
    Thanks, honey. You're beautiful, too! (hug)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNotABarbie
    I'm impressed with how long you can be on the Elliptical. I tried and its very hard to do. So im hoping once I lose more weight I can stay on it longer. I do however spend about a hour on my exercise bike taking in about 6-8 miles each time. I try to do this twice a day. Plus I do some cardio for my upper part.
    I'm impressed that you do so much on your bike twice a day - that's amazing! I secretly (and not-so-secretly) despise bikes. They make my tush hurt, lol. I have a friend who can ride a bike for 40 miles no problem, but put her on an elliptical, and she maxes out after 10 minutes. You'll get there!
    Quote Originally Posted by DD65
    Thank you for sharing. Your happiness definitely comes through in your post. Our pre-surgery weights were almost identical, so it's great to see the progress and the difference in your pictures. Your face looks totally different! You are a beautiful lady! And your daughter is so fortunate that you did this now so you can be around and an active mommy with her! Keep up the good work!
    Thank you! She's my whole reason for wanting to get healthy. Both of my parents were very overweight growing up (they've since had the bypass and lost a ton) and I remember how I always wanted to play outside, but they never could. I didn't want her to have that... and now, she doesn't!
    Quote Originally Posted by amandajane
    You look gorgeous!! I remember reading your blog when I was first starting out ( I am 4.5 months post op now) and it's awesome to see how well you are doing!
    Thanks! You're doing awesome, too. High five!
    Quote Originally Posted by sulanden
    You just made my day, minutes, hour, week, month....whatever...it just makes me smile on your success!
    Awww... thanks! You're so sweet
    Quote Originally Posted by pammyjo22
    Your enthusiasm is contagious. You look fabulous but more importantly, you feel fabulous. It shows! I have one question. How did you do with the hair loss? I haven't gotten there yet but with already too thin, fine hair I am a little concerned.
    I have had very little hair loss (thank God). I started taking biotin right before surgery and also too the hair/skin/nail vitamins. However, I'm a horrible vitamin taker. Seriously. I haven't taken any in probably 4 weeks. (oops)

What I DID do was get my protein in every. single. day. No matter what. My nut told me that was the most important. I have thin, fine hair, too, and I have noticed that I have quite a bit more in my brush than I used to, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I think it helps that I keep it long, down and relatively messy, so that probably hides what I have lost. Also, redheads have more hair on their head than anyone else (true story - look it up!) so maybe that helped.

Good luck! Get that protein in!
    You are beautiful! Your daughter is beautiful too!
    Thank you, you just made my night with your super encouraging words.
    Thank you for this post! It is fantastic. What a great, succinct summation of your journey so far. Lots of little nuggets of wisdom in here. I'll be re-reading this multiple times as I continue my journey (16 days post op). Bravo!