Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

OOOWEEBABY!

Chemo After Being Sleeved- Any Experience/Advice?

Rate this Entry
Tomorrow I will be starting chemotherapy. As many of you know, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and I had a bilateral (double) mastectomy last month. The pathology reports state that I am cancer free breast-wise, and my lymph nodes are clean.

My mother's large family has an extensive cancer history. Just in case any cancer cells are whizzing around in my body, looking for a place to have a party, they will be getting the boot! This is a very prudent thing for me.

I am kind of scared of the procedure. You know all the horror stories that people feel the need to tell me. I am feeling kind of like a child with a loose tooth. He knows it needs pulling,and he dreads it. In the long run, he knows it will make things better.

So, have any of you had chemo after being sleeved? I am worried about nutrition. Any words of wisdom and advice will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Submit "Chemo After Being Sleeved- Any Experience/Advice?" to Digg Submit "Chemo After Being Sleeved- Any Experience/Advice?" to del.icio.us Submit "Chemo After Being Sleeved- Any Experience/Advice?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Chemo After Being Sleeved- Any Experience/Advice?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Prayers your way God Bless
    Good luck and much love xxxx
    No experience with chemo however many of my friends have...I was fortunate I didnt need it after my mastectomy. You may want to ask your dr about a pill called Marinol...it is the pill form of marijuana that is sometimes given to chemo and AIDS patients to encourage appetite. You may want to check out this website breastcancer.org. The women there were a godsend to me when I was going through my diagnosis. please dont hesitate to message me if you need an ear:-) best of luck!
    Prayers & much love & good thoughts sent to you!
    Hugs and prayers...God Bless...Mem
    I was diagnosed with cervical cancer way back in 2002 and had to do both radiation and chemotherapy. Believe me, they will give you great anti-nausea meds (I had both oral and through the IV) so the only day of the weekly cycle I felt a little bad was day 3 (usually a Wednesday). I also took Reglan, which helped food move through my system.

I ate A LOT of peanut butter and baked potatoes and drank Ensure. Post sleeve, you can definitely have all of those. And, you might find your tastes changing a little while doing chemo, so if something sounds good, try it and see.

Drink lots of water too. It helps. Best of luck and keep us posted!!! ((HUGS))
    Hugs and prayers!
    My first day of Chemo was outstanding! No nausea. In fact, I was hungrier today than I have been in weeks! This may be due to the steroids I was given.

Hmmm... *thinking * The steroids were probably the reason why I had to go to the potty so many times today. Maybe that's the reason athletes on steroids move so fast. They need to pee really bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Netekay
    I was diagnosed with cervical cancer way back in 2002 and had to do both radiation and chemotherapy. Believe me, they will give you great anti-nausea meds (I had both oral and through the IV) so the only day of the weekly cycle I felt a little bad was day 3 (usually a Wednesday). I also took Reglan, which helped food move through my system.

I ate A LOT of peanut butter and baked potatoes and drank Ensure. Post sleeve, you can definitely have all of those. And, you might find your tastes changing a little while doing chemo, so if something sounds good, try it and see.

Drink lots of water too. It helps. Best of luck and keep us posted!!! ((HUGS))
    So happy all went well:-)
    So sorry to hear of your diagnosis! You were one of the people I really enjoyed when I was on here all the time! Praying you continue to do well!
    I just found out last night that my father's cancer is more aggressive than previously thought, Chemo was an option, but he will be doing daily radiation five days per week for nine weeks. I hope your treatment is a success.
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I work at an oncology office - don't ever hesitate to msg me with any questions. There have been may advances in oncology practices from years ago to assist with the side effects. With most of the chemo for breast ca (not sure which one you are receiving), you may not feel the effects until a few days after. The best advice is stay on top of your hydration and eat small, frequent meals. Also, call your MD if you cannot do this - they can bring you into the office for IV hydration and other drugs for any other symptoms. And if you find eating difficult, drink Ensure or your good ol' protein shakes, but the goal now would be more calories.
    Hope this helps! And good luck on your new journey.
    I will be thinking about you!!!
    Sending you light & love...You are so brave!
    I'm so glad it went well for you. Thinking of you & sending all my positive, healing thoughts.
    I am saddened to hear of your father's cancer. I will keep him and you in my prayers. This is one of those times when I wish there was such a thing as a hate button.

Sincerely,
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Mich-D
    I just found out last night that my father's cancer is more aggressive than previously thought, Chemo was an option, but he will be doing daily radiation five days per week for nine weeks. I hope your treatment is a success.
    Thanks so much for this useful advice. I will be sure to follow your advice, and if I hit a bump in the road, I will make certain to contact you.

Appreciably,
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by edubb99
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I work at an oncology office - don't ever hesitate to msg me with any questions. There have been may advances in oncology practices from years ago to assist with the side effects. With most of the chemo for breast ca (not sure which one you are receiving), you may not feel the effects until a few days after. The best advice is stay on top of your hydration and eat small, frequent meals. Also, call your MD if you cannot do this - they can bring you into the office for IV hydration and other drugs for any other symptoms. And if you find eating difficult, drink Ensure or your good ol' protein shakes, but the goal now would be more calories.
    Hope this helps! And good luck on your new journey.
    Sending warm thoughts your way as you embark upon this next stage of your journey. I hope you continue to feel well
    Glad to hear that things went well for your first visit. Hugs and prayers to you!
    Hugs hugs hugs
    I've been absent from this forum and just caught up with your blogs. I'm so sorry to hear of all your troubles. You are a brave soul. I wish you the best in your recovery. Please take care. Hugs to you.
    Sending you warm thoughts and prayers!
    You are the bravest woman I know! What a positive role model for all of us, You are in the right profession as it is obvious you have the gift. You are such a great leader and teacher. We will all pray for you as you are loved by the masses because you share your innermost thoughts and inspire us to face life with courage, You are Gods' Angel here on Earth already. I am so impressed with your beautiful spirit which through your brilliant writing, allows us to know you. Everyone you touch feels lucky. I hope you Keep up your healing ministry of writing for us.
    I think of you often, and I remember your sayings of inspiration! I will pray for you.