Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

miss_t

Being called FAT still hurts.........

Rate this Entry
I was picking up my 5 year old son from daycare the other day and as I was talking with his teacher I heard him say " nuh huh because she cant eat junk food and her belly is really small now because she cant eat as much as we can!" I didn't say anything but when we got in the car I asked why he was saying that to his friend and he didn't want to tell me but after me questioning him multiple times his response was "he said you were fat"...my heart sank at that very moment and my feelings were crushed. Here I am 111 pounds lighter then I was last year at this time and someone calls me FAT! After I came back to reality I realized it was a 5 year old. Does he even really know what fat means? Does he know the affect that that 3 letter word has on someone? probably not. But it still hurt. So, I talked to my son about it and explained to him the affects that calling someone "fat" could have. I explained that it hurts peoples feelings and we should never call anyone that and if he hears any of his friends call anyone that he should kindly tell them it isn't nice to call people that and it hurts people feelings. He said okay mommy I will just tell them that "fat" is a bad word and they shouldn't say it. HAH! I just smiled and said that would be fine He made the hurt I just felt feel so much better!

Submit "Being called FAT still hurts........." to Digg Submit "Being called FAT still hurts........." to del.icio.us Submit "Being called FAT still hurts........." to StumbleUpon Submit "Being called FAT still hurts........." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You win the Outstanding Mother of the Day Award...how find you make duchy an amazing little guy make us all proud? Must be in the genes! One extra hug from me, too, please!
    So sweet. Twenty years ago when my youngest was about 4, I was talking about the latest diet I was going to try to a friend. Didn't realize he was even paying attention. All the sudden, big ole alligator tears. He starts crying. I say what's wrong baby? He says " I don't want you to lose weight!" Why? "You won't be comfortable anymore!" Best mommy moment. Children love us no matter what. You have a great little boy.
    Thanks Sulanden!
    That's so cute Denise. It's amazing how much kids pay attention when we don't realize it.
    Isn't it amazing that a5 yo made you feel bad? But you told your baby the correct thing. Fat is a bad word and I have tried to teach my girls this from the time they were talking. Sad that we live in a world where fat people are discriminated against and we accept this!?!? Being called fat does hurt and it doesn't matter what age the person is who called you that.
    BTW, 111 pounds is amazing and congrats!!!
    you have done great, sorry it hurt you, guess that always will. They call stars fat and I don't see it???
    What a sweet little boy you have! Love him! (And according to your picture, you are not fat.)
    We don't use the "F" word or the "S" (Skinny) word in our house. I find both to be just as harsh and people can be described in so many other ways. My daughter has only knows me at my smallest and I am now 6.5 months pregnant. She asked me the other day, "mommy when that baby gets our of you, will your belly go back to the way it was?" I sure hope so hunny! Kids only repeat what they hear. My son heard someone making fun of their overweight sub teacher and he told them that it wasn't nice and he was going to tell. They quit and said they were sorry.
    Kids are so interesting. That was hurtful, no matter who said it. You handled it very well-
    Thanks Jeanie and sraebaer! He is pretty sweet and hard not to love.
    That is awesome ladyg. You are right calling someone "skinny" can be hurtful also since some struggle from being able to gain weight the same as we struggled with losing!
    Sorry to hear of your experience. Children are so cruel. Glad I'm not a kid anymore because of the bad memories!