Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Bridie

Bypass needed after the sleeve

Rate this Entry
I haven't been on this forum for a long time because I am no longer a gastric sleeve recipient. I had to have a gastric bypass about 7 months after the sleeve. While I won't go into too many lurid details, suffice to say the sleeve initially was great but I developed complications. I had a hiatal hernia post sleeve but I still had the most horrendous reflux and developed ulcers which closed up my large intestine. Ballooning was tried 4 times but would not keep things open and I was literally starving. I only had 5 mm opening so I was vomiting every day because things wouldn't go through. It was horrendous and I came close to checking out permanently according to the doctor because of severe dehydration and malnutrition. Don't kid yourself because it can happen quicker than you think.
Usually ballooning works in these cases but because things wouldn't stay open, I had no option but to have a bypass and it saved my life. Not only do I never experience reflux now, but I never feel hungry. I have regained some weight in the 18 months since the surgery because I got too thin but my by pass is not quite as small as others, so I can eat a cup. I can eat most things and rarely vomit unless the food is too sinuous. I am not big on meat so that isn't an issue. but you will never see me drink another protein shake- I just can't face them.
The reason I am writing is because many people don't like the idea of a bypass. Like me they think they are a bit extreme, BUT if you even suffer a little reflux prior to a sleeve don't even think about a sleeve! Having slept for 6 months sitting up, believe me the luxury of lying down again was so welcome.
I have to say my doctor did advise the bypass in the beginning but I thought I knew better and I wouldn't listen, so it cost me dearly. I lost a great deal of hair about month 10, so I had to cut my hair to shoulder length and used clip in hair extensions until it started growing back.That was scary.
Now I am really well, so long may that continue. I wish you all well in your surgeries and weight loss.

Submit "Bypass needed after the sleeve" to Digg Submit "Bypass needed after the sleeve" to del.icio.us Submit "Bypass needed after the sleeve" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bypass needed after the sleeve" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

So glad you are feeling better, and successful!
    Thank you for coming back on sharing your experience!
    That's scary. :/ I had reflux before and had a hiatal hernia prior to surgery. I also get reflux daily towards the evenings. I do dry heave still on occasion but my food stays down so I believe I'm ok. This makes ya think though...

Glad u r ok now!
    Hello Bridie,
    I am so glad that you found the solution and that you are now doing much better.

I've had reflux my whole life and I had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time I was sleeved. As far as the reflux goes, I am okay as long as I watch what I eat and also the amounts I eat. My doctor doubled the meds I am on for reflux. I used to take 40 mg of Tecta in the morning and now I take another 40 mg about 45 minutes before my evening meal. That seems to take care of the issue for me.

I am just adding this as there are probably other pre and post surgery folks who may think that they can't have the surgery because they suffer from GERD or reflux. It's definitely something that should be discussed with the surgeon and family doctor pre-surgery. We are all so different!

Janet
    I'm glad your doctors were able to save your life. Malnutrition and dehydration are serious conditions that should not be ignored.
    Thank you for coming back with your story. It was very interesting to me particularly because of what happened to me. I too had a huge hiatal hernia which my Doctor fixed. The next day when I went for my leak test, the contrast I drank to test for leaks just kind of bounced up and down until it dribbled through. I was taken back to my room, my discharge was cancelled and my IV was put back into the lock they left in when I left my room. Later that evening, I was looking a little rough and my nurse called the Doctor and they ordered labs. I was there for 3 nights with my IV running at 125/hr and I was given Lasix to help me clear the fluid, but also in hopes of decreasing swelling at the enterance of my sleeve. I went home on Day 4. I really didn't have much trouble vomiting until I was allowed "real" food three months later. Oh, I was careful, but just randomly would literally develop dumping symptoms and throw up. I always knew when it was coming. Things are better now. I am absolutely religous about drinking my fluids. I listen to my body far more than I thought I would have to. There are random things I cannot eat and yet, I can eat things that most sleeve patients cannot - well marbled steak like rib eye and prime rib, pork - sausage, pulled pork, chicken. Can't eat fish - what is up with that???? My point is every one's journey is different. I am sorry you had to go through all that and very happy you have come out the other side. These are the complications that Doctors talk about and we don't either listen or understand. I am happily almost 6 months and down 100lbs. This is a tool, but a tool with a dark side.